game crashing at halfway tavern

knotssentme

i figure since i downloaded a lot of my mods from here, you guys would have the best chance of helping me out. my game is crashing when i enter halfway tavern in pelagiad. once i click to go in the door it goes black and thats it. ive had no errors other than this so far. i followed pretty much all of knots guide. other than this, so far, the game is running great

It seems that you have got a faulty mod in place, and that's what's making the game crash. There's only one way around it - unload ALL your mods then try the game, reactivating the mods one or two at a time until the game crashes. The faulty mod will be the last one you activated.

Ignore that one and activate more mods until you get to the end, you may find there are more than one mods creating this fault but often it is only one.

If you can, remove the faulty mod and resume the game.

Do you have the Morrowind Code Patch and Wrye Mash? They're two utilities that resolve a lot of saved game corruption issues. I'd suggest installing both.

One might help deal with what you're facing, now. In Wrye Mash, you would go to the Saves tab, right-click on the last saved game that's giving you this problem, and choose Repair All. See if that makes a difference.

One other utility that's a must to try: mlox. You can get it here. What you want is mlox-exe-0.57.7z and the latest data file for it, which is mlox-data_2011-02-21.7z .

Mlox runs as a batch file. It gives excellent advice about the latest versions of mods and where some conflicts might exist, as well as recommending better mod orders. It does not make any changes without your first clicking to do so.

I hope this helps. Morrowind can be a real hassle to get running free of conflicts, but once you get to the point of working everything out, it plays beautifully. I've got a bugfree game going with 212 mods, currently--so there's light at the end of the tunnel. ;)

It seems that you have got a faulty mod in place, and that's what's making the game crash. There's only one way around it - unload ALL your mods then try the game, reactivating the mods one or two at a time until the game crashes. The faulty mod will be the last one you activated.

Ignore that one and activate more mods until you get to the end, you may find there are more than one mods creating this fault but often it is only one.

If you can, remove the faulty mod and resume the game.

just tried this. i think. by unloading all the mods do you mean using the game launcher and clicking reset to defaults? just tried this with no luck. thanks for responses. will look into other post too

edit: yes i have the code patch. dont know about wrye mesh.

also i had the same problem happen at Dirty Muriel's Cornerclub if this helps at all

Edited by knotssentme

edit: yes i have the code patch. dont know about wrye mesh.

also i had the same problem happen at Dirty Muriel's Cornerclub if this helps at all

I suggest you try mlox first, and try the changes it suggests. Also try Repair All in the Wrye Mash.

If you go to the Data Files section, uncheck ALL your mods, restart the game save and check one or two mods at a time. Do this until you've found the problem, quite possibly it's a mod that has become corrupt. If you enable more than one mod at a tive. remeber which ones you enabled, this way when the problem occurs again, you only need to check these mods for the problem mod.

Most of the time you can delete a mod just by going into the Data folder and finding the esp and delete it.

k i ran mlox and got a lot of information. just curious though, if i disabled all my mods and stuff, and just kept on morrowind, tribunal, and bloodmoon and the game still freezes at those certain areas, will doing what mlox suggests help?

mlox:

[CONFLICT]

> 'Atmospheric Balmora for VBA.ESP'

> 'Atmospheric Balmora for VBAnIW.ESP'

| Enable only ONE plugin

| Atmospheric Balmora for VBAnIW.ESP - If you use both Vality's "Balmora Addon" and DrkAngl66's "Illuminated Windows"

| Atmospheric Balmora for VBA.ESP - If you just use Vality's "Balmora Addon".

[REQUIRES]

!!!'Atmospheric Balmora for VBA.ESP' Requires:

> "MISSING(Vality's Balmora Addon.esp)"

| (Ref: Atmospheric Balmora for VBA.RAR\readme.txt)

[REQUIRES]

!!!'Atmospheric Balmora for VBAnIW.ESP' Requires:

> [ALL

> "MISSING(Vality's Balmora Addon.esp)",

> 'MISSING(Illuminated Windows.esp)']

| (Ref: Atmospheric Balmora for VBA.RAR\readme.txt)

[CONFLICT]

> 'DN-GDRv1.esp'

> 'DN-GDRv1_NOM.esp'

| If you use NOM (Necessities of Morrowind), then use DN-GDRv1_NOM.esp, otherwise, use DN-GDRv1.esp.

| (Ref: DNGDRv1.zip/"readme.htm")

[PATCH]

!!'DN-GDRv1_NOM.esp' is missing some pre-requisites:

[ALL 'GDR_MasterFile.esm', 'MISSING(NOM 2.13.esp)']

| !! If you use NOM (Necessities of Morrowind), then use DN-GDRv1_NOM.esp

| !! (Ref: DNGDRv1.zip/"readme.htm")

[CONFLICT]

> 'Key Replacer MW.esp'

> 'Key Replacer Tribunal.esp'

> 'Key Replacer Bloodmoon.esp'

> 'Key Replacer Trib & BM.esp'

| Only activate one plugin:

| Key Replacer MW.esp - If you have Morrowind only

| Key Replacer Tribunal.esp - If you have Morrowind and Tribunal

| Key Replacer Bloodmoon.esp - If you have Morrowind and Bloodmoon

| Key Replacer Trib & BM.esp - If you have Morrowind and both expansions

| (ref: dd_readme_key.htm)

[NOTE]

> [ALL

> 'Key Replacer MW.esp',

> 'Key Replacer Tribunal.esp',

> 'Key Replacer Bloodmoon.esp']

| You should enable just "Key Replacer Trib & BM.esp" if you have Morrowind and both expansions

| (ref: dd_readme_key.htm)

[NOTE]

> 'Morrowind Code Patch Showcase.esp'

| ! The Morrowind Code Patch Showcase does not need to be loaded for MCP to function. Disable the mod after you have compared how patched Morrowind differs from normal Morrowind.

| ! (Ref: "MCP Readme.txt")

[PATCH]

!!'AEA-Compatibility.esp' is missing some pre-requisites:

[ALL

'Particle Arrow Replacer.esp',

[ANY

'MISSING(AreaEffectArrows.esp)',

'MISSING(AreaEffectArrows XB Edition.esp)']]

| "If the Official Area Effect Arrows plugin is also being used, or another mod that uses or changes Area Effect Arrows (for example, Redesigned Vivec), load AEA-Compatibility.esp"

| (Ref: "Particle Arrow Replaer ReadMe.txt")

[Plugins already in sorted order. No sorting needed!]

current saved to: current_loadorder.out

mlox sorted saved to: mlox_new_loadorder.out

Edited by knotssentme

It seems that you're beginning to solve this problem, however, please realise that some mods (even though they're downloaded from TESNexus) will still conflict with each other. Often the conflict can be resolved by a mere extra or supplementary mod, others cannot.

Most modder's usually state if their mod conflicts with another, however it is physically impossible to check ALL mods for that game. If you have it, try to check for conflicts - you can normally do this through the CS, but Wyre Mash may help as well.

meh. im really not getting anywhere with this. if i disable all my mods why does it still not let me enter those areas? do i need to reinstall?

No, don't uninstall/reinstall. That is seldom a solution to anything.

Mlox gives excellent advice. If you find that it points out conflicts in your loading order, or newer versions are available of mods, or that the order itself should be changed, go with its recommendations. This is common sense: if it says that Mod C is missing a prerequisite for its running, Mod A, you want to add Mod A. If it says you don't need the MCP Showcase to run MCP, it's just suggesting that, unless you want the Showcase to look at, there's no real reason to take up RAM and space in your lineup.