Few questions to modders about what is possible to mod in fallout 4

culaio

Few questions to modders about what is possible to mod in fallout 4

I am not a modder but I would want to know what modding in fallout 4 can do, so I would know what kind of mods I can expect and what I shouldnt expect ever to be added to game

is it possible to:

1)increase amount of dialogue options from standard four ? Current dialogue system cripples a lot quest mods

2)change leveling system to something more similar to previous fallout games(skills, traits) ?

3)add to game custom power armor frames, that only use their own specific parts and/or have their own animations ? for example if someone wanted to add power armor to game that is more form fitting then standard power armor, something like iron man armor

4)add to game special power armor(with its own power armor frame) wearable on top of power armor ? hulkbuster style

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"what is possible to mod in fallout 4"

The short answer is: anything your heart desires.

I'm not an experienced modder by any stretch of the imagination. I dabble that's about it. However, the things I've seen modders do with Oblivion and Skyrim and even Fallout 4 so far are just simply amazing. Given enough time, I seriously doubt there are any limits to what the modding community can pull off.

1. From a technical perspective you can only have 4. From an artistic perspective, if you need more than 4 then the problem is not technical, but lack of creativity in writing. If you don't like the choices in a quest, blame the writer and not the technical system.

This one is a very high level of difficulty for any modder to change. Don't get your hopes up.

2. Seems possible enough, but boring.

3. If it is going to be form fitting, why not just wear it like normal armor that doesn't require a frame? I don't remember Ironman ever having a frame to his armor in any comic or movie I have viewed.

Adding new frames is possible, adding animations like that... I don't think it is, but I don't know everything about animations so maybe I will be surprised. I still wouldn't get my hopes up.

4. I have no idea if it is possible... But it seems like a bad idea, so I doubt anyone will do it...

Regarding 1:

You can have as many dialogue options as you want, it's just you can only display four at a time, you're not limited to four. You just set one of the options to link you to another dialogue set of four options. This is done by Bethesda when you pick your nickname for the Railroad so bring that quest up in the Creation Kit if you want an example. Even so, if you're relatively comfortable setting up Scenes then it should be quite easy for you to work out how to do more than four dialogue options.

"what is possible to mod in fallout 4"

The short answer is: anything your heart desires.

I'm not an experienced modder by any stretch of the imagination. I dabble that's about it. However, the things I've seen modders do with Oblivion and Skyrim and even Fallout 4 so far are just simply amazing. Given enough time, I seriously doubt there are any limits to what the modding community can pull off.

Sadly its not that simple, I played and used mods in most of Bethesda games and sadly I realized that even though Bethesda games are VERY moddable they still have some limitations, like for example in skyrim it was impossible to add completly new perk trees, of course you could add perk to existing tree's but adding new type of spells with their own progression was not.

Another thing that was impossible was adding new "type" of weapons, like for example spears, even though community had animators who could animate such weapons.

1. From a technical perspective you can only have 4. From an artistic perspective, if you need more than 4 then the problem is not technical, but lack of creativity in writing. If you don't like the choices in a quest, blame the writer and not the technical system.

This one is a very high level of difficulty for any modder to change. Don't get your hopes up.

2. Seems possible enough, but boring.

3. If it is going to be form fitting, why not just wear it like normal armor that doesn't require a frame? I don't remember Ironman ever having a frame to his armor in any comic or movie I have viewed.

Adding new frames is possible, adding animations like that... I don't think it is, but I don't know everything about animations so maybe I will be surprised. I still wouldn't get my hopes up.

4. I have no idea if it is possible... But it seems like a bad idea, so I doubt anyone will do it...

1. I must disagree, yeah normally four options are enough but problem starts if you want to add dialogue choices dependant on your perk/skills like both fallout and new vegas had, also best of quest mods also had a lot of such things, sometimes up to 3-4 new dialogue choices like for example using "strength" to scare someone into talking, charisma to charm someone, intelligence to outsmart someone or black widow/lady killer to seduce someone, best quest mods frequently had many of such things and fallout 4 new dialogue system cripples such mods a lot.

2. While I agree previous leveling system wasnt perfect I still think it was better then current system since it mattered where you put your points while now you can max everything with effort also I prefer smoother progression over big jumps in skill thanks to perks, of course it would be even better if someone made so every point mattered instead of only mattering on 25, 50 and so on which only disappointing thing about previous progression system.

3. iron man suits do have underlayer thats where all electronic parts are, you can see a lot of it, suiting up part in ironman 1, you can see parts of "frame" when torso parts put on.

suit up from iron man 1:

Actually if you look at every suit up in every movie iron man shows up you will see that every iron man armor has silver underlayer on top of which armor(protective parts) itself exists

4.personally I hope someone will eventually make such mod.

Regarding 1:

You can have as many dialogue options as you want, it's just you can only display four at a time, you're not limited to four. You just set one of the options to link you to another dialogue set of four options. This is done by Bethesda when you pick your nickname for the Railroad so bring that quest up in the Creation Kit if you want an example. Even so, if you're relatively comfortable setting up Scenes then it should be quite easy for you to work out how to do more than four dialogue options.

This sucks, yes its good thing you can add as many options as you want but this makes extensive dialogue in quest extremly annoying for both modder and player, I dont expect many modders will want to create extensive dialogue tree(create multiple links to other sets of dialogues) and I expect that not many players will enjoy going through multiple dialogue sets either to miss one of dialogue choices they would like or press back to first dialogue set by accident and be forced to go through all dialogue sets again.

Edited by culaio

This sucks, yes its good thing you can add as many options as you want but this makes extensive dialogue in quest extremly annoying for both modder and player, I dont expect many modders will want to create extensive dialogue tree(create multiple links to other sets of dialogues) and I expect that not many players will enjoy going through multiple dialogue sets either to miss one of dialogue choices they would like or press back to first dialogue set by accident and be forced to go through all dialogue sets again.

There's no extra work involved on the modders part, the links take about two seconds of labelling a prompt [MORE] and sending it to another phase. It's more elegant than any multi-response system you could implement. If the player misses your dialogue option then that's a problem with your writing because clearly it's not capturing the player's attention.

There's no extra work involved on the modders part, the links take about two seconds of labelling a prompt [MORE] and sending it to another phase. It's more elegant than any multi-response system you could implement. If the player misses your dialogue option then that's a problem with your writing because clearly it's not capturing the player's attention.

Ok then, its not that bad for modder but its still bad for players, I played games with limited dialogue like this before and it can be really anoying especially if you include in every dialogue set [back] and [next] to move to previous and next page of dialogue choices since it would mean you have only two dialogue chocies per dialogue set and if you have 6-8 dialogue choices to put in this sets then it would mean 3-4 dialogue sets and thats only for this part of dialogue, whole dialogue can multiple parts like that, I saw dialogue in quest mods that had dialogue with one person having in total 25+ dialogue choices, seperated into multiple parts, I cant even being to imagine how frustrating it will be to go through such dialogue in new dialogue system o_O.

I have two more reason why I dislike this way of doing things:

1. it breaks my immersion when I have to press [more] to see more dialogue choices since in real life you can ask anything you want from start.

2. I like seeing all dialogue choices together, dunno why but it helps me decide what should I choose

Edited by culaio

The forced four-response dialogue wheel is pretty bad. When writing dialogue sometimes I want to provide one or two responses to the player and sometimes I want six. There are particular situations where fewer or more options underscores what's happening in the dialogue itself and adds a further dimension to what's happening at that moment. The wheel gets in the way of that with its forced four response set-up. It isn't the end of the world, though, just an inconvenience. Modders will produce mods with good character development, good stories to tell, etc with what we've been given.

The forced four-response dialogue wheel is pretty bad. When writing dialogue sometimes I want to provide one or two responses to the player and sometimes I want six. There are particular situations where fewer or more options underscores what's happening in the dialogue itself and adds a further dimension to what's happening at that moment. The wheel gets in the way of that with its forced four response set-up. It isn't the end of the world, though, just an inconvenience. Modders will produce mods with good character development, good stories to tell, etc with what we've been given.

I know that modders will create great mods even with this inconvenience but it disappoints me greatly that Bethesda decided to 'consolize' dialogue system making it more inconvenient for both people creating mods and using mods just to make dialogue system just a little bit easier to use for console players even though previous dialogue system was perfectly functional, whats more in the long run this change will also become inconvenience for console players once quests with extensive dialogues will come out on consoles.

I know that modders will create great mods even with this inconvenience but it disappoints me greatly that Bethesda decided to 'consolize' dialogue system making it more inconvenient for both people creating mods and using mods just to make dialogue system just a little bit easier to use for console players even though previous dialogue system was perfectly functional, whats more in the long run this change will also become inconvenience for console players once quests with extensive dialogues will come out on consoles.

Remember, the Creation Kit is only in Beta. there are a bunch of issues that I personally find tool-breaking (lack of pre-compiled meshes setting, cause of the cell reset bug). Bethesda clearly have no problem making small changes to the gameplay (survival mode) so perhaps we may see support for >4 dialogue options in a future CK update.