CTD when Scrapping / storing in Sanctuary, help required!

Samurok

Solution found (PC)

Background

Had the same issue and noticed the missing power lines since a few weeks ago. CTD affected only Sanctuary when scrapping nearly anything - no scrap mods installed.

I have no DLC installed, disabled all mods and even removed the Unofficial FO4 patch. This fix absolutely worked for me and hopefully will work for you as well.

Out of interest, I tried the newer UFO4 2.x patch and sanitised the DLC out with FO4edit - as I know the official team isn't supporting vanilla any longer - and it's quite lovely.

Findings

After a vanilla reinstall (no DLC or mods) I have isolated the problem to Fallout 4 Script Extender (F4SE) - I am using the latest v0.4.2. Installed, I get CTD when running "scrapall" console command in Sanctuary. After uninstalling F4SE and trying again there is consistently no crash (tried a half dozen times with modding enabled and disabled in fallout4custom.ini).

Further testing

Leaving F4SE uninstalled but re-enabling mods (I have no DLC but that should not matter).

Solution

1. Optionally, use Transfer Settlements to save your Sanctuary blueprint. (In fact, save all your settlements.)
  2. Back up your saves. Do it. Yes, really.
  3. Uninstall F4SE (the default location of the uninstaller is in the FO4 installation folder.)
  4. Disable any mods that use it - do a description search in Nexus for "Fallout 4 Script Extender" (without quotes) if you are unsure. The main ones that come to mind are Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch, scrapping mods, Place Everywhere, LooksMenu, Transfer Settlements, Sim Settlements (or parts of it such as Settlement Management Software) and Achievements. There may be others.
  5. Load FO4 standard - you'll get some warnings about stuff being disabled.
  6. Scrap all of your stuff. Save your game.
  7. Reinstall F4SE and re-enable your mods.

Conclusion

F4SE still has room for improvement but, hey, it's still in beta. Uninstall it, scrap all of your stuff, reinstall it.

I could probably do more testing but this took a lot of effort to troubleshoot,..

To demonstrate my load order while using this fix, open the spoiler below. Note that this was not my gaming rig computer so not all my plugins are present.

GameMode=Fallout4
Fallout4.esm
ArmorKeywords.esm
SettlementKeywords.esm
EthreonMasterPlan.esp
HUDFramework.esm
Homemaker.esm
ValdacilsItemSorting-00-ValsPicks-NoDLCVersion.esp
CBBE.esp
UniquePlayer.esp
Layerable Apparel.esp
Armorsmith Extended.esp
HN66Fo4_Nails.esp
ChineseStealthSuit.esp
jm-vaulttecsecurityarmor.esp
chem redux.esp
VIS-PatchChemReduxWeightless.esp
VictorianDress.esp
NukaBenchv1.5.esp
Homemaker - Bunker Disabler.esp
Homemaker - Streetlights Use Passive Power.esp
AutoDoors.esp
BuildYourOwnVault.esp
BuildableBurningCampfires.esp
CleanSettlement Beds.esp
CleanSettlement Greenhouse.esp
CleanSettlement.esp
Craftable Cats.esp
FinishedBasement.esp
PCDugTriangularRevolution.esp
Portable_Workshop_Enhanced.esp
Rebuilt_SeriesPrewarHouses.esp
Sanctuary Hills Restored ULTIMATE Ultra-Lite.esp
SettleObjExpandPack.esp
SettleObjExpandPack-AutoDoorsPatch.esp
SettleObjExpandPack-LightShadowDisabler.esp
SSEX.esp
Snappy_HouseK.esp
Snappy_HouseKit_AutoDoors.esp
SLR.esp
VanillaExtensions.esp
AkaWaterWorld.esp
IMG_Castle_Wall_Patches.esp
Crafting Workbench.esp
Crafting Workbenches - Ammo.esp
Crafting Workbenches - Ammo Special.esp
Crafting Workbenches - Faction and Quest Requirements.esp
Crafting Workbenches - Junk Items.esp
Crafting Workbenches - Power Armor.esp
Crafting Workbenches - Pre War and Manufactured.esp
dinoshelf.esp
dinoshelf_extra_ammo.esp
dinoshelf_retex.esp
ExpandedSettlementBuildings.esp
HZS Easy Homebuilder and Working Double Beds.esp
EHB&WDB Autodoor Patch.esp
BetterShackBridges.esp
Evan_Modular Kitchen.esp
SanctuaryParts.esp
Passthrough.esp
WoodenPrefabsExtended.esp
AkaMoveYourWorkbench.esp
EndorsCustomCombatArmor.esp
EndorsCustomCombatArmor_AE.esp
EndorsCustomCombatArmor_CFA.esp
EndorsCustomCombatArmor_ChromeSynths.esp
EndorsCustomCombatArmor_Valdacil.esp
X13_ScrapOTron.esp
X13_ScrapOTron_OR-VIS.esp
SnappableGuardPosts.esp
BetterJunkFences.esp
keke-bu NPCs Pack_1.1.7.esp
FOFW_ALL_IN_ONE_VANILLA.esp
ImmersiveVendors.esp
Give Me That Bottle.esp

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solution found (PC)

Background

Had the same issue and noticed the missing power lines since a few weeks ago. CTD affected only Sanctuary when scrapping nearly anything - no scrap mods installed.

I have no DLC installed, disabled all mods and even removed the Unofficial FO4 patch. This fix absolutely worked for me and hopefully will work for you as well.

Out of interest, I tried the newer UFO4 2.x patch and sanitised the DLC out with FO4edit - as I know the official team isn't supporting vanilla any longer - and it's quite lovely.

Findings

After a vanilla reinstall (no DLC or mods) I have isolated the problem to Fallout 4 Script Extender (F4SE) - I am using the latest v0.4.2. Installed, I get CTD when running "scrapall" console command in Sanctuary. After uninstalling F4SE and trying again there is consistently no crash (tried a half dozen times with modding enabled and disabled in fallout4custom.ini).

Further testing

Leaving F4SE uninstalled but re-enabling mods (I have no DLC but that should not matter).

Solution

1. Optionally, use Transfer Settlements to save your Sanctuary blueprint. (In fact, save all your settlements.)
  2. Back up your saves. Do it. Yes, really.
  3. Uninstall F4SE (the default location of the uninstaller is in the FO4 installation folder.)
  4. Disable any mods that use it - do a description search in Nexus for "Fallout 4 Script Extender" (without quotes) if you are unsure. The main ones that come to mind are Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch, scrapping mods, Place Everywhere, LooksMenu, Transfer Settlements, Sim Settlements (or parts of it such as Settlement Management Software) and Achievements. There may be others.
  5. Load FO4 standard - you'll get some warnings about stuff being disabled.
  6. Scrap all of your stuff. Save your game.
  7. Reinstall F4SE and re-enable your mods.

Conclusion

F4SE still has room for improvement but, hey, it's still in beta. Uninstall it, scrap all of your stuff, reinstall it.

I could probably do more testing but this took a lot of effort to troubleshoot,..

To demonstrate my load order while using this fix, open the spoiler below. Note that this was not my gaming rig computer so not all my plugins are present.

GameMode=Fallout4

Fallout4.esm

ArmorKeywords.esm

SettlementKeywords.esm

EthreonMasterPlan.esp

HUDFramework.esm

Homemaker.esm

ValdacilsItemSorting-00-ValsPicks-NoDLCVersion.esp

CBBE.esp

UniquePlayer.esp

Layerable Apparel.esp

Armorsmith Extended.esp

HN66Fo4_Nails.esp

ChineseStealthSuit.esp

jm-vaulttecsecurityarmor.esp

chem redux.esp

VIS-PatchChemReduxWeightless.esp

VictorianDress.esp

NukaBenchv1.5.esp

Homemaker - Bunker Disabler.esp

Homemaker - Streetlights Use Passive Power.esp

AutoDoors.esp

BuildYourOwnVault.esp

BuildableBurningCampfires.esp

CleanSettlement Beds.esp

CleanSettlement Greenhouse.esp

CleanSettlement.esp

Craftable Cats.esp

FinishedBasement.esp

PCDugTriangularRevolution.esp

Portable_Workshop_Enhanced.esp

Rebuilt_SeriesPrewarHouses.esp

Sanctuary Hills Restored ULTIMATE Ultra-Lite.esp

SettleObjExpandPack.esp

SettleObjExpandPack-AutoDoorsPatch.esp

SettleObjExpandPack-LightShadowDisabler.esp

SSEX.esp

Snappy_HouseK.esp

Snappy_HouseKit_AutoDoors.esp

SLR.esp

VanillaExtensions.esp

AkaWaterWorld.esp

IMG_Castle_Wall_Patches.esp

Crafting Workbench.esp

Crafting Workbenches - Ammo.esp

Crafting Workbenches - Ammo Special.esp

Crafting Workbenches - Faction and Quest Requirements.esp

Crafting Workbenches - Junk Items.esp

Crafting Workbenches - Power Armor.esp

Crafting Workbenches - Pre War and Manufactured.esp

dinoshelf.esp

dinoshelf_extra_ammo.esp

dinoshelf_retex.esp

ExpandedSettlementBuildings.esp

HZS Easy Homebuilder and Working Double Beds.esp

EHB&WDB Autodoor Patch.esp

BetterShackBridges.esp

Evan_Modular Kitchen.esp

SanctuaryParts.esp

Passthrough.esp

WoodenPrefabsExtended.esp

AkaMoveYourWorkbench.esp

EndorsCustomCombatArmor.esp

EndorsCustomCombatArmor_AE.esp

EndorsCustomCombatArmor_CFA.esp

EndorsCustomCombatArmor_ChromeSynths.esp

EndorsCustomCombatArmor_Valdacil.esp

X13_ScrapOTron.esp

X13_ScrapOTron_OR-VIS.esp

SnappableGuardPosts.esp

BetterJunkFences.esp

keke-bu NPCs Pack_1.1.7.esp

FOFW_ALL_IN_ONE_VANILLA.esp

ImmersiveVendors.esp

Give Me That Bottle.esp

How did you remove the DLC requirement from the current UOF4 patch? I can't get mine to load in FO4Edit without failing because I don't have contraptions or the workshop dlc.

• 2 weeks later...

How did you remove the DLC requirement from the current UOF4 patch? I can't get mine to load in FO4Edit without failing because I don't have contraptions or the workshop dlc.

Make some empty .esm files for each DLC and place them at the top of your load order. Then clean the patch in FO4Edit to remove all DLC content that has errors when checking the mod for errors. It also helps to filter it for cleaning and remove duplicates from master files (fallout.esm).

• 2 weeks later...

So I've got the same issue: Been trying to scrap/move/store stuff at Sanctuary ending in CTD. Not just power related stuff but random things like a cat bowl, crops, bathtub and a toolbox.
I'm going crazy trying to find a fix as nothing seems to be working.. I really don't want to lose my save.

bUseCombinedObjects=0 didn't work

Disabling and uninstalling all of my mods didn't work

Verifying game files didn't work

Other stuff I can't think of right now didn't work

I don't have Unofficial Patch as I don't own all the DLC (Only own Wasteland Workshop) and I have no idea how to make it work without needing DLC.

I have no idea what Fallout 4 Script Extender is.

I have access to another computer with a fresh install of Fallout 4 with no mods, I'm going to try and load my save on there tomorrow and see if I still CTD. Game is too big for me to reinstall on my pc with slow internet :(

Throw everything you have at me! Anything to fix this stupid issue...

So I've got the same issue: Been trying to scrap/move/store stuff at Sanctuary ending in CTD. Not just power related stuff but random things like a cat bowl, crops, bathtub and a toolbox.

I'm going crazy trying to find a fix as nothing seems to be working.. I really don't want to lose my save.

bUseCombinedObjects=0 didn't work

Disabling and uninstalling all of my mods didn't work

Verifying game files didn't work

Other stuff I can't think of right now didn't work

I don't have Unofficial Patch as I don't own all the DLC (Only own Wasteland Workshop) and I have no idea how to make it work without needing DLC.

I have no idea what Fallout 4 Script Extender is.

I have access to another computer with a fresh install of Fallout 4 with no mods, I'm going to try and load my save on there tomorrow and see if I still CTD. Game is too big for me to reinstall on my pc with slow internet :sad:

Throw everything you have at me! Anything to fix this stupid issue...

If you use NMM for your mods also use it to purge any loose files to ensure no nasties remain in the install folder.

• 1 month later...

I have this very same problem at Coastal Cottage, but it's a modded settlement (One of Greekrage's) so that may have something to do with it. I'm not blaming the mod, I've probably borked something in my saves. I have one playthrough that only CTD's there occasionally, and another that CTD's there when I scrap nearly anything.

My question is, why bother to do all that with F4SE just to get scrapping done when you can just markfordelete then disable it. If you use the console name fix mod it takes some of the mystery out of what item you have selected (usually). You can always do a modpos x 5 (or whatever you want) first to make sure the item you want to delete is what moved before doing it. If it's the incorrect item just modpos it back to where it was.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah me too. I removed Homemaker from my PC completely and loaded up saves from hours before and i still couldn't do anything in sactuary without a crash. I may try to disable all mods and remove wires and then load all stuff back in to see