Change of Ad Provider

Dark0ne

fully agree. videos are a curse. Banners, ok, but NO VIDEOS. they'll lock up firefox in about 30 seconds, or if I'm lucky will only make your site laggy as h****. i hadn't even finished reading this article when firefox locked up. a window popped up saying "unresponsive script"

a) continue: no way

b) debug : you're joking me right?

c) stop script: clicked on that again and again and NOTHING HAPPENS. it just keeps popping up again and again and again.

Had to Kill firefox.

" script: http://us-ads.openx.net/w/1.0/afr?auid=358757&cb=42408679:0 "

and I'm in CANADA! WFT do I want American ads for?

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #38591030.

cousingh wrote: fully agree. videos are a curse. Banners, ok, but NO VIDEOS. they'll lock up firefox in about 30 seconds, or if I'm lucky will only make your site laggy as h****. i hadn't even finished reading this article when firefox locked up. a window popped up saying "unresponsive script"
c) stop script: clicked on that again and again and NOTHING HAPPENS. it just keeps popping up again and again and again.

Had to Kill firefox.

I'm a Firefox user too, and I can confirm 100% that bad ads can completely lock up a browser. I'm on a $2,000 gaming PC with 16GB of RAM and I still get hit hard by some ads.

In response to post #38564105.

fbest wrote:

I hear all this advice about reporting bad ads to the Nexus. OK. ANY add that runs as a video simply chocks my system. I would love to disable Adblock but, I can't.

I would allow banner ads, they cause no problem. Video ads totally cripple my system and almost crash Firefox. We can discuss the merits of advertising and how it helps support the Nexus all day long. I agree. I get it. I would love too. Stop the videos and I will disable Adblocker.

For Firefox, I recommend Flashblock. It's an add-on that stops Flash anything from loading until you click the 'play' button in the middle of the flash thing. It even works on Youtube.

It is tremendously naive to insist that all problems are solved with an ad reporting tool.

I cannot risk the safety and performance of my computer when ad providers - all of them have proven themselves unscrupulous and unwilling to police their own content.

Not just the virus risk, but intrusive popups and videos as others have said.

I've supported the site when I could, but that's about it. I can't remove adblock until there are some solid guarantees of safety and reliability.

In response to post #38591030. #38604190 is also a reply to the same post.

cousingh wrote: fully agree. videos are a curse. Banners, ok, but NO VIDEOS. they'll lock up firefox in about 30 seconds, or if I'm lucky will only make your site laggy as h****. i hadn't even finished reading this article when firefox locked up. a window popped up saying "unresponsive script"

Had to Kill firefox.

Percephere wrote: I'm a Firefox user too, and I can confirm 100% that bad ads can completely lock up a browser. I'm on a $2,000 gaming PC with 16GB of RAM and I still get hit hard by some ads.

Two words...Ad Block

I use ad-block as a general rule on every site because f*#@ ads. I don't care for them, and I don't care if you or any site relies on them. there's enough other dumbasses who will allow them through to pay your bills. Me, I don't have time for ads. Edited by barnardm71

It is tremendously naive to insist that all problems are solved with an ad reporting tool.

I cannot risk the safety and performance of my computer when ad providers - all of them have proven themselves unscrupulous and unwilling to police their own content.

I've supported the site when I could, but that's about it. I can't remove adblock until there are some solid guarantees of safety and reliability.

As a supporter you should not be seeing ads even with your adblock turned off. That is one of the perks of supporting Nexus. Once you support Nexus, either by getting premium just once or by getting Supporter. When a premium runs out, you are automatically moved to supporter status. Supporter never runs out. and as a supporter, the perk is no ads forever. And last time I checked, forever is a long time. :tongue:

In response to post #38619910.

bben46 wrote:

As a supporter you should not be seeing ads even with your adblock turned off. That is one of the perks of supporting Nexus. Once you support Nexus, either by getting premium just once or by getting Supporter. When a premium runs out, you are automatically moved to supporter status. Supporter never runs out. and as a supporter, the perk is no ads forever. And last time I checked, forever is a long time. :tongue:

I actually din't know that as I don't turn adblock off due to paranoia (justified in that I've experienced some real bad infections in the past due to ads) But that's nice to know.

Obviously I don't blame anyone at the nexus for the sorry state of internet advertising, after all if I did I would never be a supporter. I just take exception to someone calling using adblock piracy. I call it a very needed shield against the scumbags trying to waste our time with intrusive ads and malware.

I tried leaving them on awhile ago. Had my adblocker exempt Nexus. My computer became completely unusable. See, I run a bunch of "reminder' tabs, but have my browser set not to load until I open them. And yet, every fifteen seconds or so, each and every tab, accessed or not, would cycle the new ad.

I'll try again and give it a day. If I'm choked down again, much as I love you guys, never again.