Change of Ad Provider

Dark0ne

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for taking the time to not only tell us about this but spend the time and money to provide a better user experience. Your choices show a high level of commitment to customer service and ethics. Thank you.

Congratulations for being up front and dedicated.

Nexus is one of the few sites I'd consider essential. Advertisements are often a nuisance and a security risk. I'd encourage everyone to spend a few dollars/euros on a supporter or premium membership. That way the site will get some revenue and you wont be bothered by ads. The service Nexus provides to mod makers and mod users is well worth that money.

With regards to unblocking ads, tracking, and unnecessary flash and javascript, I'd generally advise against it. Not unless you're absolutely sure a site's ad provider(s) are trustworthy. Or unless you really can't afford a membership, but you still really want to support a site.

While I normally would not "whitelist" anyone as even Yahoo and Bing have been "carriers" of infection from time to time. I am willing to give it a shot here if nothing else but to test and give feedback. In today's world I am aware of the need for Advertisers in order to support the cost of the great work you do here. I also believe there can be a balance if the right companies are willing to forgo 3rd party fillers. That is usually where the issue starts. Say I have 35 ad spaces (small I know but just an example) and I sell them to "X" to fill. X can only fill 25 so they in turn sell 15 to third party "Y" at a discount. It multiplies from there but I think you get the point. There is no real ad checking down for 3rd and 4th party ads. Yahoo learned that the hard way last year when they were themselves internally attacked when the designers were well designing.

In response to post #37865240.

TakezoDunmer2005 wrote: I use the ghostery plugin for Opera and normally it blocks 16-18 trackers, but when I disabled it there was a deluge of 80 and counting trackers! It's as if the trackers had trackers with their trackers!

...I think I'll go with a premium account instead...

No matter how long you decide to be premium, when it runs out you become a 'supporter' and have no ads. Not only worth the download speeds, but the lack of ads as well.