Change of Ad Provider

Dark0ne

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't leave Nexus site running on Firefox for 30 minutes without it crashing my browser due to scripts that firefox default settings reject. The site has other problems for mod makers and users, but browser rejected scripting is at the top of my list by a mile.

If there were any other place to post my mods, I would pick it in a heartbeat. Just entering this text note is ridiculously slow, with 1-2 sec lags every 5-6 characters, for some unfathomable reason.

This has NOT changed in the month since mid-May.

'nuf said

Edited by AJHendrick

Thank you very much for devoting time and effort to the problem, as I no longer have to spend so much time worrying about aggressive/malignant ads. I have one minor complaint. My computer is positively ancient, and a lot of ads on the new provider are animated or huge, which vastly increases load time and CPU usage.

Woo! No more redirects!

One problem though, there's a Best Buy ad that started showing up today that hijacks the site background. It's on every page including this one.

EDIT: I just realized it covers the GET PREMIUM button. That's not good.

EDIT 2: The new ad provider dumped no less than 34 cookies per tab into my browser.

Edited by beary64

In response to post #39248450. #39574445 is also a reply to the same post.

etteerr wrote: Unfortunately, all the ads today are dynamic and animated. on a quad 3.8GHz, just enabling ads in this very page flings up the cpu usage across all cores from 0-2% to 20-60% (firefox). i keep em blocked... since i usually have quite alot of tabs open and i dont want 100% cpu all the time for just browsing the web :(
BanditSE1977 wrote: I have this problem to.I have an older i2700k and have a ADSL 2 connection that operates up to 1meg a second,but if I do my usual thing of browsing files to look at,and opening ones I want to look at in new tabs to look at several at a time,the site becomes basically unresponsive.Whatever the ads are takes a lot of power to run them.

I just tried this twice:This page open,then open the Skyrim mods page,then open to the first 2 mods on the hot files.So I have 4 Nexus tabs open,nothing else.

With Adblock Off to show ads:open links,so 4 nexus tabs,browser takes a minute or so to load all the ads,while this is happening the browser is intermittently unresponsive.Once the ads are loaded,the pages are still hard to use and unresponsive as they keep downloading ad info every 20 seconds or so and using CPU.Also just to close the pages takes a while as you are waiting for the pages to respond to what you want them to do.

With Adblock On to block ads:,open links,so 4 nexus tabs,browser loads all the pages in short order.Can click through all 4 tabs no problem and use them smoothly.

I do intend on paying for as a supporter or member at some stage,but if you want to make the ads less annoying to people then they need to be very basic so they aren't chewing power and downloads.

It costs less than AUD $10 for premium membership for 1 month then your are ad free for life on nexus... This costs so little, yet helps the site stay running and removes the ads it's win win for all... Hell people spend more money on games and skins... I can't see how anyone can't afford to do this, it's cheaper than buying one cup of coffee from a coffee shop and solves your ad problems / woes for good.

Signed up as Supporter within minutes of knowing it was available. I do not trust ad providers, so I will continue to run ad blocker. Thanks for a reasonable alternative.

I am unable to trust Nexus any longer. I do not use antivirus software of any sort because it slows down my aging computer. I almost never get infected by anything, and when I do get infected, I'm nearly always able to manually remove it. That said, I would get malware every single time I came to this page. Rather than try to screw around with NoScript, I installed an ad blocker.

NexusMods is the entire reason I installed and ad blocker. I used to have a policy that "if a webpage is providing me with content that I enjoy, I'll leave ads enabled, so I'm just not going to block ads at all". NexusMods changed that policy of mine. Now I block ads everywhere... OUT OF SELF DEFENSE against MALICIOUS ATTACKS against my property.

Thank you Dark0ne. I will enable ads once again on Nexus in a gesture of appreciation & hope. If the ads continue to be invasive (pop-ups blocking screen, auto play audio, etc.) though, I will do what I have to do to be able to use this site in unobstructed/undistracted peace.

But I really was glad to read this, and I appreciate the work you put in to fix it.

I wouldn't mind making nexusmods an exception in my adblocker if it wasn't for the fact that even a single tab displaying ads severely impacts my computer's performance. The memory usage is insane. I'm pretty sure that having several tabs open, which is natural for someone looking for new mods, would render my computer entirely unusable. Leaving ads on is just out of the question at the moment.

I'd love to support the site directly to make up for it, but I'm current unable to.

From what i can tell EVERY ad provider has the same problem for me, nearly every website i go on including this one, i have to continually shut off firefox's plugin container in task manager because of unresponsive scripts causing firefox to lock up.