Problems with Reinstalling Oblivion

gamemaster79

I have a problem with reinstalling oblivion,but on another disc,without any trace of the game.

the error message is that "Confirmation of original disc is unavalible",and it gives me a link to "securom" where it says i might have an illegal copy,but i don't!!!

and my dvd drive is installed properly.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The following is a link to Bben46's solutions to many of the problems encountered above.

It is entitled, "Reinstalling Oblivion" and it covers the territory rather thoroughly.

It may not answer all of your questions, but it will certainly answer a lot of them.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/TheStormRavenLibr.../1446421/1/#new

Storm Raven.

8)

Check the disc for scratches etc. if there are non(Or even if there is.), you could call the beth customer support and check how the disc exchange works, basically you sending your non-working copy of the game and getting a new one in exchange. Having a receipt could prove very helpful in this scenario tho.

Another thing you should check is which type of discs does your drive support; + or - and yes, there is a difference. Incorrect disc types will never work. This info is usually provided on the complete info of your PC, or in the manual/packaging, if you've bought a new drive. Also you should check what speeds does your CD/DVD drive support, as the copy of Oblivion which I have requires 8x and if your drive doesn't support the necessary speed, that is another quite possible source of problems.

I really have to laugh at myself when I tell this story. Last week, I could not understand why a disk I had used the week before wasn't working. Turned out, I had inserted the CD upside down. How funny is that? To be fair, the top of the CD looks very much like the bottom of it, but still... The big problems are easy to spot is the little ones that seem to trip me up the most.

Storm Raven

8)

The securom program checks your hard drive for certain programs that it considers can possibly be used in piracy. One is the alcohol series of no cd programs. If you have one of these programs, Securom refuses to allow you to install. Guess where many victims of this misguided policy go to get their legally purchased game to work?

• 1 month later...
Could performing system restore to a checkpoint before you downloaded and ran the patch undo the crashing?

I'm not sure I understand how your question relates to reinstalling problems. Are you sure you posted in the right thread? Maybe you should start a new thread in the Technical Support section with a more complete explanation of your crashing problem.

• 1 month later...

I recently had a Problem with Reinstalling Oblivion (I really must Start Learning how to back up, would save me a lot of headaches, lol).

Every time I have uninstalled Oblivion, I did a Search for any and all files related to Bethesda Softworks or Oblivion, if the Search utility found anything even remotely related I would remove those files, then I would go ahead and enter the Registry (run regedit) as mentioned some where here and removed the uninstall keys left behind by Oblivion. And for a While this Worked real well.

Until this last time (and believe me, that will now and forever be my last uninstall and reinstall),

I Tried to install Oblivion and the the install shield would stall at "installing Oblivion", and not move any further on the Progress Bar, I left it for 2 hours once, and two hours later it was still at "installing oblivion". I looked at my Oblivion Disk and there was numerous Scratches all over it, so I was thinking maybe the disk is to badly scratched and that is why it was Stalling. So I went out and bought a new Oblivion GOTY. When I got home and Tried to install Oblivion again with the new Disk, the same thing happened, the install shield would stall at the exact same place. So I Decided to try a little experiment.

I shut down my Computer, and restarted it, only this time I pressed F8 as the Computer was starting up and went into Safe Mode and attempted to install Oblivion again with the new disk.

That Worked, I was able to install Oblivion in Safe Mode. after the install was completed, I waited until the install shield had stopped itself, only a sec or two, then shut down my Computer again and restarted it in Normal Mode, and have not had any Problems so far with running Oblivion.

I am Curious about what would Make Oblivion only install in safe mode after uninstalling and reinstalling several times.

RavenWhitehawk

My guess is that some program or process that is not loaded in safe, but is in normal was interfering. If you do find out let me know and I will include it as well as credit in the next update to the uninstall/reinstall help file. :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...