FO4 Console Mods

VitameatavegamN

With the recent announcement of upcoming console mods, I have become very hyped to join the world of modding as a console player. Looking at the mod list on Bethesda's site, however, I feel a little overwhelmed and I'm hoping for some guidance.

What I want more than anything is mods that allow for more weapon customization and mods that introduce completely new weapons or weapon skins. What are some of the most comprehensive mods that allow for this without loading 500 different things on my Xbox?

Also, what are some of the other mods you feel are most useful in enhancing the game experience or adding features? I don't want to turn the Mirelurks into John Cena or toggle god mode; I just want to add more to the game in ways that feel natural.

I'm very vaguely aware of an interested in a few things already, and maybe more clarity can be given:

• Armorsmith Extended?
  • A "zombie ghoul" mod that slows ghouls down but makes them tougher?
  • Darker nights?
  • Better weather animations / seasons?
  • Flashlights on weapons?
  • Brand new weapons?
  • Something that makes pipe weapons look better?
  • More weapon mods?
  • Something to manually control enemy toughness?
  • Anything that makes the combat more intense or the enemies more frightening?

Most importantly, should I be concerned about the type / order of mods installed crashing my Xbox?

I really appreciate any help anyone is willing to provide. Thank you!

Although I don't play bethesda games on consoles I wonder how will it work as well, I mean lots of mods rely on console command and external script extenders to work not to mention realistic texture mods, and I also wonder what about custom models, will it require the author permition to port it to consoles?

I imagine Bethesda will restrict some mods sadly.

I think you really have the wrong end of the stick.

1) Nexus is for PC mods

2) nobody on Nexus has the slightest incentive to understand the problems of running many complex mods on a console vesion of the game

3) because Nexus is a GROWN-UP resource, it provides excellent mechanisms to allow a person to research possible mods THEMSELVES. There is a SEARCH FUNCTION on Nexus- mods arranged by category and popularity- and mod authors are encouraged to provide descriptions of functionality. And, of course, there are mod specific forums.

I believe those nice people at Bethesda have crafted a COMPETING service at Bethesda.net for just your types of concern.

What is it with all these 'please do the work for me' posts? Are they from citizens of nations that still commonly employ 'servants'?

And the REAL point is that the strength of Nexus is that it is NOT about 'official' 'recommended' mods- but a resource where each and every gamer- after puuting in a little EFFORT- can customise their game in a completely unique way. The vanilla game is a no-brainer off-the-shelf experience. Modding should NOT be a no-brainer, but an enjoyable carefully considered exploration of game changing mechanisms.

Well, lemmie see... looking at the bottom, your mod load order is important.

You'll want all of your .esm files to be at the top and your .esp files to follow (.esm files are master files; .esp files are your basic plugins). Though I used Bethesda.net briefly just try it out, I can't remember if it automactically placed .esm files at the top of the load order like NMM does.

Another thing to remember is that the last mod in the order takes precedent in the event of a conflict.

For example: I use both Better Stores by blazeda59 and Lore Friendly Posters by Dhegonus cuz they both make your settlements look mega cool, but... the neon signs from BS happens to occupy the same spot as the posters in the Decoration section of the Workshop. That means I can only make one or the other until I change the mod load order in NMM.

So, when I'm done crafting a bunch of neon signs in a given settlement and now want to add some posters, I have to save, quit, open NMM and place Lore Friendly Posters below Better Stores in my load order. I then start the game back up and get to makin' posters.

The above is also why you place a patch to make two different mods work together below the mod it's meant to effect - again, the last mod takes precedent.

When it comes to hard conflicts (stuff that'll cause crashes), read a given mod description to understand what it effects and what mods it may conflict with (though many mods don't conflict with anything - especially stuff like item mods; weapons, armor, clothing and the like).

On a personal note, I don't like running my game with tons of mods cuz I feel like your just asking for trouble. I generally keep it to around 20 or 30 (50 or 60 tops) and most of those are "low impact" mods (again, weapons, armor, clothing, etc, etc). That being said, I know people who run with a 100 more...

EDIT: I initially neglected to name the authors of the two fine mods mentioned above (I never visit the Commonwealth without 'em).

I think you really have the wrong end of the stick.

1) Nexus is for PC mods

2) nobody on Nexus has the slightest incentive to understand the problems of running many complex mods on a console vesion of the game

3) because Nexus is a GROWN-UP resource, it provides excellent mechanisms to allow a person to research possible mods THEMSELVES. There is a SEARCH FUNCTION on Nexus- mods arranged by category and popularity- and mod authors are encouraged to provide descriptions of functionality. And, of course, there are mod specific forums.

I believe those nice people at Bethesda have crafted a COMPETING service at Bethesda.net for just your types of concern.

What is it with all these 'please do the work for me' posts? Are they from citizens of nations that still commonly employ 'servants'?

And the REAL point is that the strength of Nexus is that it is NOT about 'official' 'recommended' mods- but a resource where each and every gamer- after puuting in a little EFFORT- can customise their game in a completely unique way. The vanilla game is a no-brainer off-the-shelf experience. Modding should NOT be a no-brainer, but an enjoyable carefully considered exploration of game changing mechanisms.

I am curious has Dark0ne said that Console users cannot post here asking for information? If so I would very much like to read the post or article. As far as I know they can post here, now they may or may not get replies, I hope they do and that it is constructive help unlike a post that reads like a grumpy old man chasing kids off his lawn with a cane.

What is with all these "I speak for everyone on the Nexus" posts?

Speaking for everyone on here claiming they have no incentive to understand the new system for console modding is a bit arrogant. Most may not, some may, and some do. There are mod authors on here that have purposefully purchased Xbox 1 and FO4 to test their own and others mods with intention of doing the same with a PS4.

As for console modding Bethesda.net is still much in it's infancy stage. I'm sure a lot of what you want can get done. What I can tell you currently is to pay attention and fully understand the provided info the mod author has given. Dependencies, etc are very important. This is one of the biggest if not the biggest issue a lot people will have/had because they failed to read everything, you can't scan like you did your textbooks in high school (well I scanned anyway), you must read it all.

Good Luck,

Geoff

Console users asking about modding info has been verboten due to the fact that console modding itself was never allowed. I suspect that since console will be allowed to have mods that restriction will be relaxed as far as FO4 mods are concerned. Even though the Nexus won't be distributing mods for consoles many of the same mods will be on all systems.

Console is a poorman's computer...

This is true, but since it is now a legitimate plateform for FO4 mods, why not be kind to the less fortunate?

After all, we're all gamers and many of us were "poor men" before aquiring our gaming rigs.

I have a friend that started his modding by hacking gameshark values or something to affect some mario game I can't remember which one
anyways, they're one of the first people to put in 3D gaming that I ever saw and made crysis 1 amazing and were doing all sorts of stuff with the graphics
I witnessed this myself personally, they did a form of green and yellow 3D - they were like, editing various values in the game, ripping files refabricating them basically rebuilding things from the ground up for this visual experience
they were AMAZING at PC FPS too, jarate/arrow master etc, until they injured themselves and won some stuff through contests, I screwed up their rocket launcher ratio in battlefield oops, decided to play random bombardment guy for fun when they let me play... (sue me, I hadn't had the experience of being able to lob explosives in a modern game at that time period)

console is a poor man's computer, and their modding experience will be similar, I wouldn't denigrate them while at the same time I will warn it will be frustrating to deal with them as well, but it's like this with every newcomer to anything - as well as inferior rigs in general, the combo however might test patience a LOT more than one might typically see (just a head's up, no ill intent)

ANYWAYS, one idea is simply that you hit the console button (like the button with the console's logo on it, you know the one) and an option for "command console" will come up with a digital keyboard like when you have to type in your name will appear, this would make console commands slower, but allow the technicality of its existence)

Edited by tartarsauce2