ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Institute Weapons

CalibanX

Do Institute weapons have better recoil (or lower weight) over regular laser weapons? The damage & range stats seem to be better with laser weapons, so I'm wondering if there is any tactical or otherwise non-obvious reason to use them?

I have an odd attraction to the Institute weapons. My level 50 character has been using a maxed out Institute rifle and though it doesn't have a Legendary effect, I find it does a good job taking care of business despite having a trunk of legendary weapons with higher damage ratios at my base. Does anyone else enjoy using Institute weapons?

The only advantage they have to me is that they are free. When I encounter a Synth I use the Spray N Pray and it dispatches them pretty quickly. I used to have a laser sniper rifle which was pretty lethal but I don't think it was an Institute weapon.

The prewar lasers have a base damage of 24. The Institute lasers have base damage of 21, but an overall higher rate of fire - that's the main difference. And yeah, I like 'em.

On a side note, at game launch the Institute weapons originally only had a base damage of 15... which caused a lot of complaints. I think Bethesda up their damage with the first patch.

I was not impressed with Institute weapons.

But then as I was inside the Institute, it dawned on me why their weapons are 'weak'. They only try them on Target Ranges in the Institute and sadly most / if not all the Synths never make it back to tell them, "... the weapons suck! .." ;)