The Monkeysphere

Deleted472477User

Altruism can be seen in many folks. Not just vets. (although, they tend to be in places where it is more likely to come into play.....)

I will at least make the attempt to help damn near anyone that I see 'in need'..... mostly folks broke down on the side of the road..... but, I am also a vet. :D Does that negate my argument??

I certainly hope that it doesn't negate your position and I definably was not laying sole claim to altruism as the sole province of the military, we just happen to be in places where bad things are easy to see...Doctors Without Frontiers comes to mind as a civilian example.

That was more than a little tongue in cheek. :D (on my part.)

I think altruism is a fairly common trait, you don't see as much of it though, as it doesn't sell papers/magazines/boost ratings.......

I think as our society becomes more and more dependent on technology and less upon other people we loose a lot of our humanity and humility. I grew up in the late 60's, early 70's and things were a lot more personal then. Now it is a me, me, me, I, I, I society of thrill junkies. There have always been clicks that run around together. Some more destructive than the other, but register and log into a site that is filled with people who disagree with you, Post a topic that angers them and you will see a Monkeysphere in action. I just walked away from a site like that. It wasn't pretty.