Heads up: New Nexus site design soon

Dark0ne

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read that blog post...Because nexus was developed over the last 10 years without clear plan, eventually, it made it less functional for large number of members that it has now. This site has been developed by Robin and now he feels that other people can do better job.

He hired some Axel dude to make the code and improve functionality that will support large number of members. He also hired some buddy of his to do the design. Since these dudes are hired, they naturally feel that they need to do everything differently than in original work. Robin himself wants to see something refreshed and new. But do these changes go in the right direction?

I can't tell much about functionality of that new site. These things are behind the scene and only admins can notice the difference. It's measured how easily you can maintain the site and add new features. A user can only notice bugz when they resurface somewhere or when the entire site implodes.

Design is something different. It's all visible. They have had a good intentions with this - to give nexus new refreshed look. Unfortunately, the way the things are now, this was step back. Design is bad overall, colors are bad, stripes are terrible, you can't read easily, it's messy and disorganized, you can't see who posted what without magnifier, and list goes on and on. To simply copy the old design wouldn't be what they intended and it wouldn't be the change. It would be a copy.

I think that the decision is good. We users don't know what are admins dealing with when it comes to maintenance...And this change will be made. I am against taking steps back. More heart and soul should be put into the design. So what if you copy the old design if it's good? Other sites usually don't make radical changes when they want to change the design.

Edited by goranga

Honestly, I don't like the layout at all. I prefer the normal layout as it is. I hope there is a option for me to change back to the old one. The old one in my opinion is much easier to use and to search. The new search bar doesn't have the categories of mods as how the old one did.

Honestly, I don't like the layout at all. I prefer the normal layout as it is. I hope there is a option for me to change back to the old one. The old one in my opinion is much easier to use and to search. The new search bar doesn't have the categories of mods as how the old one did.

That function is now under the categories section^^. Its just a matter of becoming familiar with the new interface.

Honestly, I'm up for a new layout, but the way TES Nexus is done is absolutely awful. It's -too- simplified, like the way Youtube is now. We're modders and gamers, not web 2.0 idiots who need everything to hold our hands and attract us with soft colors and big buttons that open annoying drop-down menus. The design is horrible.

Why don't you guys listen to your community and take our suggestions instead of deciding what you think we'd like best? You're not a big corporation, you're regular people, just like us, so come to our level. If this is what most of the community actually suggested, then my god I hate their taste.

Also, none of the images are loading at all on TES Nexus. They worked fine on the old site, but not on this new one. I'm not running any adblockers or scripts to disable things, they're just not working. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and blame Firefox anyway, because it's been acting really dumb lately.

I like the new layout, easy to navigate, easy to use - just two comments:

1. I would like to see the contents of the "Files" drop-down placed into the right-hand navigation list (where "Top Files" "Latest Files" and "Latest News" are) - it seems to make more sense there, quicker to access.

2. Sorry, but the orange just doesn't work. And, white text on orange is very hard on the eyes. Add me to the list of folks who REALLY want a different color.

Other than those two things, it looks great. Good job.