The Great Society

kvnchrist

I've been thinking about the social situation in America and the debt crisis the better part of the western world is going through and I was wondering just what LBJ would think if he could come back and see America today.

(1) Would he see a success or would he see a failure?

(2) Would the programs put in place so long ago have accomplished their purpose or did they just Keep the status quo?

(3) Could there have been a better way to do what he wanted to do?

I've been thinking about the social situation in America and the debt crisis the better part of the western world is going through and I was wondering just what LBJ would think if he could come back and see America today.

(1) Would he see a success or would he see a failure?

(2) Would the programs put in place so long ago have accomplished their purpose or did they just Keep the status quo?

(3) Could there have been a better way to do what he wanted to do?

Career welfare folks, racism still very prevalent in our society, equal opportunity is a pipe dream, and the education system isn't worth spit.

I would think he would be rolling over in his grave. My vote would be..... Abject Failure.

Better method? Hhhhmmmm....... not sure.... but, I think affirmative action legislation (which was basically an expansion of his policies....) is counter productive. Folks doing the hiring should be able to hire the best candidate, without any political pressures...... Race should be irrelevant.

1. Currently, I think he would see it as a failure. What HeyYou said for a explanation to that.

2. What would you consider the purpose as a whole? If you consider the purpose simply temporarily helping people, it might of accomplished its purpose. It you consider it fixing the system and completely getting rid of poverty and racism, no.

3. YES. Also as HeyYou said kinda, race should of been dealt with differently. People tend to forget that Medicaid and Medicade are part of this as well. It should of been something of a public option, and still should be. That is for another topic, but you can look at other countries that work perfectly like that.

The only part I could consider slightly working is the housing department. That is failing due to other reasons though.