ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Why all the hate?

Cyberweasel89

Okay... as I'm sure many of us have noticed, there are two primary factions who play Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas.

The first group focuses on immersion. They want a game that's realistic, challenging, and really pulls them into the experience. Players of this faction favor Hardcore Mode, increased spawns, and darker nights.

The second group is composed of casual gamers. They just want a fun experience that they can thoroughly enjoy. They aren't interested in a challenging or realistic experience. They prefer Casual Mode, little bug fixes to affect the overall perfection of the game, and ways to make the game just a little easier, or maybe add some spice to make it more fun.

But my question is... Why so much hate between these two factions?

Whenever a mod is created, or even requested, it might fall into either faction. The people in this faction love the idea. The people in the other faction hate the idea. And they're not afraid to admit it. In fact, one might think they believe it's their duty to point out their dislike not for the mod itself, but for the other faction's playing style.

What gets me is... why does everyone in the opposing faction have to berate, ridicule, and criticize any mod that doesn't suit their playing style? "Why would you want a mod that does that?" is a comment I see so much it might as well be a slogan.

And when a mod is created by a hardcore member of one of these factions, it tends to fall into the extreme. It might have some good aspects that appeal to the opposing faction, but the creator of the mod is so into his own faction that he refuses to cater to anyone who doesn't play like him. I'm sure we all remember the darker nights debate of the Fallout 3 Fellout mod. The casual gamers bitched and moaned about the dark nights. Then there's the No More Respawns mod. It was the hardcore gamers who bitched about that one. Uh... if you don't like it, why bother complaining? In the words of a Native American, "Hm... You waste words."

So... why does one side insist that the other side HAS to play their way? Why can't we both exist? Why do we ridicule and haze others for not playing our way? Why so much hate? If we don't like a mod because it's not of our faction, why can't we just ignore it? Why do we have to make people feel like s*** just because they don't play the way we do?

Err, I'm just not seeing some big flamewar that would warrant calling it "all the hate." In fact it's pretty mild compared to some other debates or sites out there.

But that said, it's not just limited to that. I've seen people get vocal about stuff like that they think maces or lightsabers don't belong in there, or that weapons NEED rust, or that people should stop doing sexy outfits and get on to do whatever that poster wants, or I've even seen a rant waay back in ye olde early days of FO3 from someone who pretty much thought everyone should do SF energy weapons and that real guns don't belong in the game. (Huh?) And back in ye olde MUD days we had weekly flamewars about PvP vs non-PvP (regularly someone would make a huge fuss about how either (A) everyone who has better stuff to do than be his victim is some abject failure, or (B) newbies NEED to be ganked early and often by someone 10 times their level or they'll think the game sucks and move on, ya know?), crafting vs no crafting, etc. And so on. And a lot of those were a lot less civil about it.

Hey, I want wasteland`s mudcrab, why nobody made them yet?

In time: I can`t stand eating radroaches and iguana on stick anymore!

Edited by nosisab

Okay, let me post a straight-up example. Look at the comments of this file: Link

See? Hardcore players pretty much assaulted the guy who made the mod just because it's for casual players. There's the hate I speak of.

The reverse happened with the dark nights of Fellout. The casual gamers were whining about the pitch-black nights, something no hardcore player can go without.

Why does everyone feel the need to attack people for having a different playing style?

As for the poster above, he misunderstands. I'm not talking about Hardcore Mode and Casual Mode. I'm talking about the players who prefer realism and challenge (hardcore players, note the lack of capitalization), and players who play for a smooth, enjoyable ride (casual players).

I am missing the point? I can`t see any hating on the comments for that mod.

Actually the mod got a reasonably number of thumbs up given the small (to date) number of downloads.

Well, I can see some unnecessary comments (about personal tastes) there but no hate at all.

I mean this respectfully, Weasel, since you seem nice and helpful most of the time, but your comment was the only one that stood out on the file you linked. A few people commented needlessly about their tastes, but they weren't bashing anyone.

This place is a lot friendlier than most modding sites.

Whenever a mod is created, or even requested, it might fall into either faction. The people in this faction love the idea. The people in the other faction hate the idea. And they're not afraid to admit it. In fact, one might think they believe it's their duty to point out their dislike not for the mod itself, but for the other faction's playing style.

Amen to that.

Edited by falloutperson416