Skyrim and Steam

SeparateElite

I wonder how many people pirate because of DRM vs how many people buy because of it? DRM free Oblivion looks like a pleasant memory nowadays. Personally I have no experience with Steam yet. I generally avoided it and pretty much any game with DRM. I was tempted by Fallout 3 and New Vegas but Skyrim may be enough to make me finally bite the bullet. Maybe we'll be lucky and they'll decide to only have a release day DRM that's patched away after a week or two. A person can dream can't they? :sweat:

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't like it don't buy it. :hurr:

Your completely missing the point. Steamworks games CAN NOT be resold. Period. It's not that i want to resell it or buy it second hand it's the principal.

Being forced to activate online EACH time I install, possibly limited installs and no ability to resell is certainly something for me to be unhappy about. Is it going to stop me from buying Skyrim? No. Am I going to voice my displeasure and correct people when they try to say that Steamworks is something other than this? Yes.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as 'don't like it don't buy it'. People expect developers to jump through all kinds of hoops because they want the game the way they, when the decision rests entirely with the developers. The customer can't tell the person designing a new car what it should look like. If the customer doesn't like the design choices, he doesn't buy the car. It's a far stretch, but the core of the comparison is more or less there.

Also, I don't get why you're moaning about the second-hand thing so much. You act like it's the biggest issue here, when you're the only person in the thread bothered with it. Killing off the second-hand market has been going on for years. It's not limited to Steam. Hell, the gaming shops in my country stopped accepting trade-ins on PC games years and years ago, due mostly to the ease of piracy and DRM.

I don't mind Steam, so I buy my games there. Don't like Steam? Don't buy the games. Want the game, but it's steam only? Then don't buy it, it's THAT simple. If people actually started boycotting Steam instead of giving in and buying the games, things would probably change. This is never going anywhere unless people take action. Now, wake up and do something about it. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/laugh.gif

Unfortunately, that probably won't work. According to stats from last year May (couldn't find anything more recent), there were about 20 million active user accounts on Steam, active being defined as having seen use within a reasonable time-period up until the survey. Probably a lot more now. Out of that 20 million, perhaps 5 million (if that much), hate Steam, so them boycotting the sale of a game is pretty ineffective, actually. But sure, feel free to boycott. I'd certainly love if there is more bandwidth available to the rest of, instead of the servers being clogged up. :P

Unfortunately it's not as simple as 'don't like it don't buy it'. People expect developers to jump through all kinds of hoops because they want the game the way they, when the decision rests entirely with the developers. The customer can't tell the person designing a new car what it should look like. If the customer doesn't like the design choices, he doesn't buy the car. It's a far stretch, but the core of the comparison is more or less there.

It's because wonderful bits of legislation make it illegal for the customer to consume the product in a way the producer does not explicitly allow for. You don't like SecuROM? Guess what, removing it's illegal. Unless you are suggesting that everyone who doesn't like Steam to just crack the game...

I don't mind Steam, so I buy my games there. Don't like Steam? Don't buy the games. Want the game, but it's steam only? Then don't buy it, it's THAT simple. If people actually started boycotting Steam instead of giving in and buying the games, things would probably change. This is never going anywhere unless people take action. Now, wake up and do something about it. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/laugh.gif

Which is why I never bought new vegas. But why shouldn't I complain about it then, since I would have bought it if it didn't require steam? Don't really see your logic there...

Edited by amycus

i think we are being held hostage, by all those people who adore steam. (if you don't like steam, don't buy the game) HECK NO. i been waiting for this game for over a year now, just because i have a hatred for steam doesn't mean i'm not going to get the game. someone will crack it off of steam anyway. Steam has no absolute purpose to make it mandatory when piracy is just as strong as it ever was. so what ever.

My apologies if this is in the wrong area and/or has been asked before, since the 11th of november will arrive sooner in Australia and other southern countries than it will the US. If I get the game nice and early, will Steam impede me from being able to play the game untill the country/state of origin gets to the AM of the 11th also?

It's because wonderful bits of legislation make it illegal for the customer to consume the product in a way the producer does not explicitly allow for. You don't like SecuROM? Guess what, removing it's illegal. Unless you are suggesting that everyone who doesn't like Steam to just crack the game...

I'm suggesting that everyone who doesn't like Steam simply don't buy the game. It can't be simpler imho.

i think we are being held hostage, by all those people who adore steam. (if you don't like steam, don't buy the game) HECK NO. i been waiting for this game for over a year now, just because i have a hatred for steam doesn't mean i'm not going to get the game. someone will crack it off of steam anyway. Steam has no absolute purpose to make it mandatory when piracy is just as strong as it ever was. so what ever.

Tough luck, if the developers decide they want it on Steam, you've gotta make the choice whether you want to deal with Steam or not buy the game. Not even going to get into the piracy thing, because that kind of cheapness isn't tolerated around these parts.

My apologies if this is in the wrong area and/or has been asked before, since the 11th of november will arrive sooner in Australia and other southern countries than it will the US. If I get the game nice and early, will Steam impede me from being able to play the game untill the country/state of origin gets to the AM of the 11th also?

It depends, for smaller games you usually have to wait for it, then it only unlocks 7pm where I live. For bigger AAA releases, they often make provision for this, and for me it usually unlocks 00:00 on the day of release for me. You do get exceptions to this, like the Dungeon Siege 3 fiasco, where some idiot over at Valve never pressed the right button, and when it was supposed to unlock for my country, it never did, and I had to use a VPN to Europe to unlock it to avoid waiting almost 10 hours for the guys at Valve to wake up.

Steam seems to be the only Skyrim supporting platform for the game up to now... The picture on the TES Nexus frontpage doesn't seem to show the full PC DVD package - so it could be anything...

But I wont buy Skyrim if its for Steam only because...

... I was disappointed that my FO:New Vegas DVD didn't contain the game but only the steam code,..

... the game doesn't even run in a offline mode for me...

... It wants to be updated before I can even play the game...

... of the fact that they only offer game coupons and items for Team Fortress 2 (A game which I stopped playing a long time ago) as a bonus for the purchase shows that steam does not really seem to grip what a "bonus" is supposed to be...

... I dont really want one big corp to know what I am playing all the time...

And there probably are more facts I havent even seen...

Steam seems to be the only Skyrim supporting platform for the game up to now... The picture on the TES Nexus frontpage doesn't seem to show the full PC DVD package - so it could be anything...

But I wont buy Skyrim if its for Steam only because...

... I was disappointed that my FO:New Vegas DVD didn't contain the game but only the steam code,..

... the game doesn't even run in a offline mode for me...

... It wants to be updated before I can even play the game...

... of the fact that they only offer game coupons and items for Team Fortress 2 (A game which I stopped playing a long time ago) as a bonus for the purchase shows that steam does not really seem to grip what a "bonus" is supposed to be...

... I dont really want one big corp to know what I am playing all the time...

And there probably are more facts I havent even seen...

i can play all my steam games if i disconnect the ethernet line after signing in so much for your facts.....