Skyrim and Steam

SeparateElite

I´m confused, if we have the dvd copy don´t we need only to activate the game via steam?When I installed my new vegas I only needed to activate it via steam, it didn´t download anything from it exept the update wich was easy.Are there games that require download even with a dvd?That is ridiculous and if it happened to me I would ask my money back since the dvd is worthless.I fear that skyrim will be like that and in that case imagine everyone trying to install at the same time, it will take days, weeks or months just to be installed, or not.

I believe IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover required you to download it no matter what. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

A lot of games install from the CD, but it's mandatory that you need to patch the game right afterward, and sometimes those patches get to be ridiculous sizes. Empire: Total War came with a 1.5 gig download when I got it. The game sat on my shelf for a long time until I used the LTE hotspot in my phone to download it.

Any idea on what the size of the NV patch was?

Edited by watdocdude

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steam has a FAQ that answers the question about installing your game from its original disc instead of downloading the whole thing and installing Steam (and the games) on a different drive.

Installing from Disc instead of Steam

How do I install games on a different hard drive or location?

And here I thought it was common knowledge that you can install through the disk even if it's a Steam-only game...

Also,

I fear that skyrim will be like that and in that case imagine everyone trying to install at the same time, it will take days, weeks or months just to be installed, or not.

Why would it take any longer than usual? Even if it did put a huge load on Steam's servers I doubt they'd slow down at.

Edited by Nysba

steam is a bad internet connections worst nightmare

Time Warner Cable is notorious for exactly that sort of internet service.

It's the only affordable service provider in my area, so guess where that leaves us here?