Skyrim and Steam

SeparateElite

Halororor it's going to be on steam as well regardless, so as you love steam get it for steam. I don't love steam, and I don't want to be forced to use it. It's really that simple.

And I agree, Steam should be optional, because it does cause problems for people without internet connections. I'm merely countering the arguments of people who claim Steam is the devil. My experience with Steam so far has been excellent, and the only thing I've ever had problems with was Steamguard. Other than that, nothing. If I tell my games not to update automatically, they don't. If it happens to anybody that they update regardless of that, they might have to check that the problem isn't on their side.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

companies main purposes is to make money. if DRM didnt bring in more sale then they wouldnt invent time and money on it. end of story.
So if I follow your reasoning, companies never go bankrupt... Of course companies do some stupid things, human reactions are not easily predictable or explicable. And with the increasing popularity of videogames, the number of copies sold AND the number of copies hacked are both increasing. How to know for sure what is efficient or not in these conditions?

Dosent change anything about why i should have an internet connection to play the game i bought..you practially say people who dont have an internet connection or dont have a constant connection should just F-off and go back to 2001..now that's really a great point.

Ironically enough, you quoted the exact post in which I said the exact opposite of what you're claiming I said. Here's the quote, and I'll bold it so you know what to read.

If you read properly, you'd see I said that people should go back to 2001 if they can go without internet access at home, not that you should go back to 2001 if you don't want to use Steam. Ironically, it seems most people ignored the news article I quoted that spoke about the drastic changes being made to the Steam download system, which pretty much would solve most of the problems stated in these 'valid points' you speak of.

Personally, I can't go a day without my internet, and seeing as it's become such an extension of our daily lives, I can't see why anyone can complain about having to have internet.

companies main purposes is to make money. if DRM didnt bring in more sale then they wouldnt invent time and money on it. end of story.
So if I follow your reasoning, companies never go bankrupt... Of course companies do some stupid things, human reactions are not easily predictable or explicable. And with the increasing popularity of videogames, the number of copies sold AND the number of copies hacked are both increasing. How to know for sure what is efficient or not in these conditions?

and by your logic every company will go bankrupt due to everyone using DRM. sorry but DRM wont die out or slow down its here to stay. like i said if DRM didnt bring in more sale then they wouldnt invent time and money on it end of story.

and by your logic every company will go bankrupt due to everyone using DRM. sorry but DRM wont die out or slow down its here to stay.

Exactly. Everybody hates the Ubisoft DRM, yet the games using it still sold well enough that just this week Ubisoft could claim that the DRM is a success.

and by your logic every company will go bankrupt
Euh non, my logics states that companies are not omniscient (but not necessarily wrong) which makes your argument invalid. The choice of DRM could be overally good or bad or good in short term but bad in long term, etc...

if DRM didnt bring in more sale then they wouldnt invent time and money on it end of story.

And I will repeat myself a third time, this argument is false because there is no objective way to judge that, especially not on the long term. That would be true if companies were omniscient (omniscient at least about the present) which is not the case.

Dosent change anything about why i should have an internet connection to play the game i bought..you practially say people who dont have an internet connection or dont have a constant connection should just F-off and go back to 2001..now that's really a great point.

Ironically enough, you quoted the exact post in which I said the exact opposite of what you're claiming I said. Here's the quote, and I'll bold it so you know what to read.

If you read properly, you'd see I said that people should go back to 2001 if they can go without internet access at home, not that you should go back to 2001 if you don't want to use Steam. Ironically, it seems most people ignored the news article I quoted that spoke about the drastic changes being made to the Steam download system, which pretty much would solve most of the problems stated in these 'valid points' you speak of.

Personally, I can't go a day without my internet, and seeing as it's become such an extension of our daily lives, I can't see why anyone can complain about having to have internet.

So anyone who has limited internet or no internet at all makes him practically a person who can go back to 2001 and live without an internet connection ? :)

This is such a single point view, there are people who arent that lucky as you to have a constant internet connection but they are interested to buy a game they like but becouse it needs always a steam check, they cant and that in your point makes them someone who loves to be without internet...uhh.

As you said yourself you are so used to have internet that you cant immagine not to have it, now try to immagine that suddenly you are without a connection and left with a game you paid for but cant play, i doubt you would be happy about that.

Choice...its about to have a choice.

Edited by pavy

I think everyone can agree the internet is a wonderful thing. I personally have been using it since I was a kid in the early 90's.

Arguments against Steam aren't limited to the internet connection, and updates. A lot of people think Steam a resource hungry program that waist space on their hard-drive. It also limits peoples ability to modify, look at the Steam version of oblivion for an example. I've got a steam account. As I'm a half-life, and CS fan from way back. It's simply just not the medium I want to use for all my gaming. Steam just fine for some online games. Steam is kind of like battle-net. I don't particularly like having to log into battle-net to play starcarft II, but I'm still willing to do it. I do wish I could still lan my computer with my friends though, but it's not a huge deal...

and by your logic every company will go bankrupt
Euh non, my logics states that companies are not omniscient (but not necessarily wrong) which makes your argument invalid. The choice of DRM could be overally good or bad or good in short term but bad in long term, etc...

if DRM didnt bring in more sale then they wouldnt invent time and money on it end of story.

And I will repeat myself a third time, this argument is false because there is no objective way to judge that, especially not on the long term. That would be true if companies were omniscient (omniscient at least about the present) which is not the case.

tell you what we meet back here in 5 years and if DRM doesn't exist, you win! if DRM still exist i win. how does that sound?