Skyrim and Steam

SeparateElite

I didn't only mention soldiers in my initial post; they are just the most numerous example of such people. Scientists working in far-away places, like Antarctica for example, have the same problem.

It boils down to this: There are people who are doing highly dangerous jobs for our benefit. Whether we agree with their reasons to do this job or not is of no importance. The fact is, they are there, they are risking their well-being and lives so we don't have to, and the last thing we should do is to pile up more crap on them.

If you're against soldiers being where they are - which is a totally separate debate - blame the politicians, not the guys and gals on the ground.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, it sucks that people who bought the game in a store will still have to register and activate their copy... once, but you'd have to do the same with pretty much everything.

You left out one important step there though. You have to ...

1. Install the game.

2. Register with Steam (or at least start the client and log in if you already have one account you want to use for Skyrim) and activate the game

3. Download a multi-gigabyte initial patch before you are mercifully allowed to disable updates for this game, set it to "offline mode" and play it.

The third step is unfortunately not an option for a lot of people, even though they might have an internet connection and use it extensively for low-bandwidth application like online banking or forum posting.

you do realize that it isn't a multi gigabyte initial patch.....thats either the whole game (if you bought it on steam), or part of the game, (AKA a retail disc), you can set it to install completely from disc though.

this is form Steam support so it may be worse then useless

1.Log in to Steam and click on Library.

2.Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm.

3.Insert the first disc into your computer.

4.Close Steam (Steam > Exit).

5.Press Windows Key + R to open Run

6.In the Run window type:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.

Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.

7.Press OK. Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc.

alright this is just disgusting!

why the hell are you calling a online service cold and inhumane just because scientists and soldiers may miss out on them?

A.They have important jobs to do

B.They probably have a work-around

C. Getting more internet speed in a warzone is like trying to tell the Sun to cool off.

D. I realize my above statement is flawed (Internet Speed is very important in a warzone) but not if its all used up for gaming.

E. I just realized that the norm for internet speed worldwide is about 20mbs. holy s***. Australian internet is very slow.

Edited by huntsman2310a

Alright, first and foremost, I know people currently stationed in the middle east that have and use Steam, I chat with them. These are people I grew up with. So right there, saying they don't have a good enough connection, is ridiculous. Especially if a hard copy that only requires registration can be gotten, and when it can't, even with a bad connection, I'm pretty sure most of them would be more than willing to wait for a game they really wanted to download, even if it takes days.

That said I would like to point a few things out:

I have never in all my experience with Steam had an issue modding a single player game. Ever. At all. All I had to do was a few seconds of clicking and make sure it didn't try to always update. Interestingly enough, Steam is designed to be as mod friendly as possible, just look at all the source mods out there that work seamlessly with it. Any issues with modding are likely due to the game being set up in such a way as to be unmoddable by the devs, not due to steam. Either through a DRM built into the game, or because the game files are packaged in a certain way. This is not Valve's fault.

I really do not see any issue whatsoever with game devs using Steam as a DRM platform, it's not nearly as draconian as Ubi's DRM software. Needing a constant internet connection is ridiculous. Steam requires you to connect to the net ONCE to activate the game in the instance of Beth games. Only once. You can then use it purely in offline mode after that, with exception for updates if you want them. Steam is also not a large program, it is non-invasive, and it is fairly low impact on your system. I have experienced many other DRM methods that are not easily noticed with exception of their effect on your gameplay performance. For example, I can run NV on my laptop on high settings for hours without having an issue, or any crashes. I can do the same with Oblivion. I can't say about F3, as I didn't buy through Steam, I bought it retail at Fred Meyers, but I have seen it run on another machine on the highest possible settings no issue at a friend's house, and all his game purchases are exclusively through Steam. Then there are the many other advantages, like if your disk get's busted or messed up in some way and it was a box version of a game requiring Steam for activation, you can simply DL it through Steam and burn a backup for yourself.

TL;DR

I myself also have issues installing third party software to play a game I bought with my hard earned cash, but I am much happier having it be Steam than something like Starforce.

It boils down to this: There are people who are doing highly dangerous jobs for our benefit. Whether we agree with their reasons to do this job or not is of no importance. The fact is, they are there, they are risking their well-being and lives so we don't have to, and the last thing we should do is to pile up more crap on them.

Scientists in antarctica are very likely to have some decent form of internet in order to keep in touch with their superiors. If they don't, they can take a console with them. If they can't play two or three games because it's PC exclusive, boohoo. I'm sure they're not crying about the injustice of it all while they're 'risking their lives so we don't have to.'

No offense dude, but your argument really is one of the worst I've ever heard used against online authentication. It's a desperate attempt at grabbing at straws.

TL;DR

I myself also have issues installing third party software to play a game I bought with my hard earned cash, but I am much happier having it be Steam than something like Starforce.

This. A million times this. I haven't had an ounce of problems with Steam, but I have never NOT had a problem with a Starforce protected game.

Edited by Halororor

I have never NOT had a problem with a Starforce protected game.

Uhg, Starforce..... killed two of my PCs before I new what EXACTLY it was and what it did. You know you can't ever actually remove it unless you use third party programs designed SPECIFICALLY to remove Starforce in it's entirety? What a DRM nightmare.... :wallbash:

you do realize that it isn't a multi gigabyte initial patch....

There is ... the moment the first patch for the game comes out. Which usually is within days of the release, given how shoddy most companies work nowadays, Bethesda included.

@Halororor: You don't have to agree with the notion that people doing high-risk jobs need to have our respect and shouldn't be required to jump through unnecessary (and DRM is never necessary for the customers) hoops to enjoy our level of quality of life. I still think it's worthwhile to allow them to do so if it's possible. And in the case of single-player games, it is possible - as long as you don't go online DRM as the only option.

The stations n Antarctica usually have just spotty satellite uplinks, BTW. Slow, prone to breakage (since you can't have a satellite orbiting a pole) and 150% booked up to scientific data transfers.

@Halororor: You don't have to agree with the notion that people doing high-risk jobs need to have our respect and shouldn't be required to jump through unnecessary (and DRM is never necessary for the customers) hoops to enjoy our level of quality of life. I still think it's worthwhile to allow them to do so if it's possible.

So now DRM is our way of disrespecting them? L O L. This just gets better and better.

http://i54.tinypic.com/15k2ld.jpg

Hold on, let me get this clear.

People are auguring that steam is bad due to soldiers not having it?

Soldiers and scientists. Apparently we have to change how the entire world works, simply because it's apparently disrespectable to people who are happy to just be alive at the end of the day and 10 other people sitting in an arctic base on one of the poles.

Edited by Halororor

No offense Halororor but you should stop with that trolling, even though i too think Khadir's point is a bit extreme for this discussion and i think the same that soldiers and scientist have other thing's to worry about, even though i know they are people...there is no need to ridicule Khadir just becouse he/she sees it that way.

How am I trolling? I'm merely pointing out that Khaldir's argument is one of the most ridiculous against Steam I've ever heard. People around here are too touchy. The moment you start incorporating humour into your posts, they think you're trolling. Just lighten up a little.

Really, I mean no offense, I'm just lighthearted about the whole thing. Sure, Steam gives people issues. Sure, I agree it should really be optional. I just don't get why some people insist on making it out to be the bane of everyone's existence. Honestly, there are much worse DRM schemes to moan and groan about. Incidentally, Diablo 3's scheme that was made public this morning is much more draconian than Steam.