Skyrim and Steam

SeparateElite

The moment you put that immage and L O L sentence you are trolling in my eyes , i dont see any humor in what you said...sorry...but i guess its none of my concern.

I agree there are much worse DRMs out there but seems many people failed to realize that this is mainly about to have an option to buy the game some other way if you cant use steam.

I dont like steam and it wont change but im not forcing my opinions upon anyone, i just wish for a non-steam version of the game.. that's all.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only point I was trying to make is this:

There are people who indeed have paying jobs and are not hobos or bums who still do not earn enough money that the cost of buying a game a single time is often more manageable than having to pay an additional monthly utility bill to maintain the ability to continue playing the game that they've already purchased.

But that's not the only thing that makes Steam unfair, though some people just don't seem to be able to see it.

Perhaps if I explain it a bit differently? If you will indulge me, allow me to role-play for a moment:

I rule video games.

From this point forward you will get your video games from me. You will not be allowed to play these games until you have been given my approval. When updates and additional content for these games are created, they will only be available from me and you may download them to your computer at a time and speed of my choosing. If you do not want these updates and additional content they will be downloaded for you regardless of what you want. If at any time records of you having paid for your games are lost due to mechanical error it will be necessary for you to purchase them again. If at any time I feel you have participated improperly in my social forums or violated any of my arbitrary rules, you will be banned from my network and thus will be unable to play your games despite the fact that you have paid for them. If you do not agree with these rules it is irrelevant because I rule video games.

Honestly, how can any of you think this is cool?

Now, I realize that Steam isn't yet quite the evil overlord I've depicted in my role-playing. But give it time; one day it and this Cloud will run everything; video games are just the beginning.

We can still play new vegas in offline mode though I agree ith you, I read an article once in game informer about a guy ho was banned from EA forums or something and he couldn´t play dragon age 2 anymore cause he required an account and since he was banned his game was worthless, I just think if that happens to me I just ask my money back.

I completely agree with you Herculine, this is just the beginning of crowd control, they are experimenting how to implement it and yes it wont defenatly stay just with games...but i doubt they will have success and in the end they will dig thier own grave.

Well written there, kudos for that.

The moment you put that immage and L O L sentence you are trolling in my eyes , i dont see any humor in what you said...sorry...but i guess its none of my concern.

Then you're taking the internet way too seriously.

Now, if you will indulge me and allow me to break this down into tiny bits (something I hate doing):

]From this point forward you will get your video games from me. You will not be allowed to play these games until you have been given my approval.

The only time this happens is before the game is officially released. Are you now angry that you can't play a game before it reaches it's official release date?

When updates and additional content for these games are created, they will only be available from me and you may download them to your computer at a time and speed of my choosing.

Rubbish, you can download them anytime you want, at the top speed your line can handle.

If you do not want these updates and additional content they will be downloaded for you regardless of what you want.

Rubbish again. Turning off auto-updates works for millions of users. If it doesn't work for you, you might have to what exactly it is you're going wrong on your end.

If at any time records of you having paid for your games are lost due to mechanical error it will be necessary for you to purchase them again.

Rubbish once more. Show me proof of this happening. With the average user account containing more or less $500 worth of games, Steam wouldn't pull something as stupid as that.

If at any time I feel you have participated improperly in my social forums

Absolute *censored*. Steam accounts and their forum accounts are not linked in any way. The only place this has ever happened is with EA, and they reversed it almost immediately. They won't be making that mistake again either.

or violated any of my arbitrary rules,

The only time Steam will ban your account is if you violate their Anti-Cheat system, which only ensures people don't cheat in multiplayer games, and that will merely get you temporarily banned from the game, not your account. Repeat offenders might find their games or account banned entirely, and I agree with that. If they can't play nice, and they do it over and over, they should be banned.

The only other thing that could get your account banned is if you tell your bank to cancel a credit card transaction with Steam without notifying them first (which is illegal anyways), or if you use a VPN to bypass their region-specific prices (which is just as illegal).

you will be banned from my network and thus will be unable to play your games despite the fact that you have paid for them.

As stated above, only serious offenses wil get you perma-banned, and if you commit any of those offenses, you had it coming to you anyways.

If you do not agree with these rules it is irrelevant because I rule video games.

Lulz. I wish. If Valve ruled videogames we might start getting the type of qualty video-games they release.

Honestly, how can any of you think this is cool?

Easy. We don't nitpick for reasons to hate Steam, and we don't twist the truth to suit our warped views.

Now, I realize that Steam isn't yet quite the evil overlord I've depicted in my role-playing. But give it time; one day it and this Cloud will run everything; video games are just the beginning.

Coolios. Call me when they do. I want to serve in Steam Corp's Private Military Company.

Also, I don't know what line of work you're in, but I really won't suggest acting. Roleplaying isn't your strong suit. :P

I completely agree with you Herculine, this is just the beginning of crowd control, they are experimenting how to implement it and yes it wont defenatly stay just with games...but i doubt they will have success and in the end they will dig thier own grave.

Wait, whaaaat?! Okay, I'm out. This is getting beyond ridiculous. It's kinda sad even.

If anybody wants to continue this debate with me, feel free to leave me a PM, but please, no unrealistic, ridiculous or irrational arguments.

Edited by Halororor

I know I said I wasn't going to post again, but I can't resist. This is my last one, I swear. :P

Halororor, if Valve isn't already paying you, they should be.

And right there your argument just lost any credibility it might have had. Congrats. You just pulled the oldest online debate trick in the book. If somebody counters your half-truths with valid points, and you no longer have a foot to stand on, tell him he's working for the company he's defending. Typical response from someone who has nothing left to say. Have a nice day further, though. :)

Edit: And now I'm out of this thread, forealz this time.

Edited by Halororor

I know I said I wasn't going to post again, but I can't resist. This is my last one, I swear. :P

Halororor, if Valve isn't already paying you, they should be.

And right there your argument just lost any credibility it might have had. Congrats. You just pulled the oldest online debate trick in the book. If somebody counters your half-truths with valid points, and you no longer have a foot to stand on, tell him he's working for the company he's defending. Typical response from someone who has nothing left to say. Have a nice day further, though. :)

Edit: And now I'm out of this thread, forealz this time.

That's very witty.

Explain to me again why a corporation controlling my leisure pass-times is a good thing?

Rubbish, you can download them anytime you want so long as the servers are up, at the top speed their servers can handle.

Fixed. This applies to all patching systems, not just Steam's, but the problem is a copyright one at its core.

As stated above, only serious offenses wil get you perma-banned, and if you commit any of those offenses, you had it coming to you anyways.

Valve reserves the right to ban your account and cut off access to your games for any reason. Whether they abuse that power or not is irrelevant: It's the customer's lack of control over it that is being argued against. I don't like the use of my stuff being dependent on some overlord's permission, a benevolent one or otherwise.

Lulz. I wish. If Valve ruled videogames we might start getting the type of qualty video-games they release.

You may wanna revise your opinion of that.

I sincerely don't want Valve to touch any video game, ever. If you're too lazy to look at all my links, imagine if you had to play Oblivion with every mod that gets made by anyone installed on it. That is what Team Fortress 2 has become over the years. The Valve that actually cares about quality is long-dead.