Oh Modryn, where art thou?

zymurgy65

I'm playing through the FG quest line for the first time in years, and I'm remembering why I found it so frustrating - I keep losing Modryn Oreyn! After the Azani Blackheart quest I eventually found him mooching about in Blackwood, but then he still didn't find his way back to Chorrol. How do I bring him home?

From the UESP Wiki page for the Anzani Blackheart quest (emphasis added):

"Modryn believes that Azani moved his base of operations to Atatar - a nearby Ayleid ruin. He suggests to search there and will lead the way himself. You can continue to explore Arpenia if you like, as Modryn will wait patiently for you, but apart from a few rats and Ayleid chests the place is empty. Follow Modryn to Atatar but do not fast travel or go ahead of him, because this may cause a bug. The location won't be marked on your map until you arrive and Modryn refuses to move unless you are close to him. Therefore, you must follow him."

Look at the Bugs section on that page for possible solutions.

Just for the record, he eventually made his way back to Chorrol, then refused to acknowledge Ajum-Kajin's existence even with standing 3 feet in front of him. I had to take the poor guy into the woods and let a wandering monster kill him - it's one way of advancing a quest! :laugh:

It was the Argonian whose death I arranged, Oreyn is still very much alive and producing his "masterpieces!" :tongue:

I'll have to look up setstage codes; I don't like using cheats as a rule, but sometimes it's necessary.