Blender: Massive files?

Kuraikiba

What explains the 15 lamps and cameras then...?

Newbie not knowing what it does I guess. However, the amount of lamps and cameras did not cause the massive 200 MB size...the torus did.

Edit: It seems you did the same for the cylinder. The default cylinder is 66 verts and yours is 1000..?

The default on mine (2.49b) is:

Major Radius: 1.00

Minor Radius: 0.25

Major Segments: 48

Minor Segments: 16

This yields a donut that has 768 verts.

The one I uploaded used 50 major segments which yielded an 800 vert donut.

In Blender 2.57, adding a default torus yields a 576 vert donut.

I am using 2.49 as well. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif

So would the moral of the story here be , use the default settings for the cylinder and torus? http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/tongue.gif

So would the moral of the story here be , use the default settings for the cylinder and torus?

Default settings don't give you much to work on. It is the context in which you work that determines what you need.

In this case, I was simply approximating a similar effect but with the intended purpose of being used in-game. However, I did not actually optimize anything...just approximated. I'm sure it could be tweaked a bit more to use even less geometry and still achieve the desired effect...which is a unique shotgun design for a game.

Kuraikiba's need was a model to be used in-game. However, the geometry was too complex for his machine and Blender to even edit, let alone make it into a game engine (NIF format does not support anywhere near that amount of verticies in a single NiTriStrip). My need was to show that a similar look can be achieved without such complex geometry...and that wasn't even using normal maps to achieve even lighter geometry.

If purely for use in a screenshot render, a different approach could be used. But there is benefit to applying a quality diffuse, normal and specular texture to enhance the overall look without having all the details in the model itself.

So are defaults best? No. They are nothing more than a starting point from which you can refine based on the context of the material and your needs.

LHammonds

So, max is bad? Why allow for the max if it is a comp-killer?

I said "your" machine.

It is not a good idea to keep the gas pedal nailed to the floor no matter if you drive a Pinto or a Formula 1. There are times and places when appropriate and it is up to the driver to determine those times. I tend to prefer having a fast car in the event that I need it. Same principle for carrying a gun or condom. Better to have one and not need it than to need it an not have one.