kvnchrist

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have a argument besides...

"Love is good, therefore its not science."

Love sucks. Therefore it is not science. :D

Something else to consider...... sure, the human brain is just a boatload of cells, that interact with each other, and 'things' happen. Emotions, of which, love is one, are certainly centered in the brain, and a product of said chemical interactions, etc. Trouble is, at this point, we don't understand even a tenth of what all is going on there, or, how to influence things reliably. We can "guess", and that is basically what folks are doing when prescribing drugs to control various mental conditions. New drugs come out regularly, when it is found that the "old" drugs, that, at the time, were presumed "safe", turn out NOT to be. Using the population as guinea pigs really isn't the best plan, but, what else can ya do, when you have a regulatory agency made up of bureaucrats, that don't really have the faintest inkling of what they are doing.

Another supposition would be, can EVERY human reaction be 'explained' by simple chemical/electrical interactions? Or, is this a case where the whole, is greater than the sum of it's parts?

Another supposition would be, can EVERY human reaction be 'explained' by simple chemical/electrical interactions?

Why not?

We know enough about brain science to know that our brain controls us and our thoughts, don't see any reason why there is something deeper then the brain.

Another supposition would be, can EVERY human reaction be 'explained' by simple chemical/electrical interactions?

Why not?

We know enough about brain science to know that our brain controls us and our thoughts, don't see any reason why there is something deeper then the brain.

We don't know yet though. Nor do I think we will discover any "truth" leading to knowing in my lifetime, or a couple generations thereafter either. From my perspective, it simply isn't important to know. Love exists, that's enough.

Why not?

We don't know yet though. Nor do I think we will discover any "truth" leading to knowing in my lifetime, or a couple generations thereafter either. From my perspective, it simply isn't important to know. Love exists, that's enough.

It exists yes, but I don't see any reason that the cause can not be explained.

Why not?

It exists yes, but I don't see any reason that the cause can not be explained.

To what end? For what purpose? Do you plan to commercially exploit said knowledge? or is it purely for the pursuit of knowledge?

What better purpose that just the pursuit of knowledge? Perhaps one day this can help us fix those who are incapable of love, guilt, and empathy, such as sociopaths. If there a way that we can share the gift of the ability to love with just one person who would otherwise grow up in Nintii's Inferno, then isn't that worth something?

Maybe some people don't think that the human brain is interesting? It's the most complex complex thing that I can think of.

Check out this video from TED, it's pretty good at explaining my position in this. Skip to 2/3 to 3/4 of the video to avoid hearing about his take on religion.

Edited by draconix

@ Draconix

I like science, very much to if you must know, and I'm not impartial to it finding cures to aid and enhance our lives but there are most defintely things that science

cannot answer.

This is where we part ways, because you cannot quantify the intangible, and the heart is intangible, it's actions produce the chemicals you speak of and not vice

versa.

Everything that you see, hear, feel, smell and taste is a series of electrical impulses fed into your brain, presumably by receptors in your body. The image of your wife is a series of electrical impulses, the feeling of giving birth to your child, the feeling of pushing and pain, the smell of the clothes that your dead family members leave behind, every last one is an electrical impulse into the brain which then deciphers these impulses into "experience." Your brain in turn analyzes the experience, and recognizes that you just gave birth to someone or you found an attractive person with whome you can identify. Somewhere along the line your brain categorizes people you have seen and applies a series of values to them. Those with high values we call love. A series of electrical impulses over a long or short period of time interpreted by your brain.

And what is love? A freaking miracle. A miracle of nature and evolution, and a miracle of consciousness, and it's the most special thing that a human can feel and experience. I'm done, if you don't "get it" then I no longer care. :wallbash:

Edited by draconix