Love

kvnchrist

I use experience which trumps logic every time.

Experience means nothing if you don't have the logic to put together what the experience was.

@Sync There is some evidence for black holes, there is no evidence love is anything more then a emotion. Also what evidence do you have for the human soul? As for Consciousness, that also has some evidence and has theories to why it exists. There are also theories to memory. Why is the behavior of children outside of the realm of science and logic? I recognize some things in the universe may not be able to be explained, but that doesn't mean I will believe in those things until there is some proof of it.

Also just to make myself more clear, the reason we can guess black holes exist is due to large areas of gravity being warped.

There are a large number of theories for consciousness that follow logic as well, same thing with memory. I can point you in that direction if you want.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Experience means nothing if you don't have the logic to put together what the experience was.

@Sync There is some evidence for black holes, there is no evidence love is anything more then a emotion. Also what evidence do you have for the human soul? As for Consciousness, that also has some evidence and has theories to why it exists. There are also theories to memory. Why is the behavior of children outside of the realm of science and logic? I recognize some things in the universe may not be able to be explained, but that doesn't mean I will believe in those things until there is some proof of it.

Also just to make myself more clear, the reason we can guess black holes exist is due to large areas of gravity being warped.

There are a large number of theories for consciousness that follow logic as well, same thing with memory. I can point you in that direction if you want.

Man you are something else. dude. Would you chill out here. You don't even know when someone is playing with you. It's like arguing with a computer. You don't need logic to put together the experiences you've had. You need incite, you need awareness along with wisdom and understanding. Somehow, I think you would use a microscope to find an elephant myself, but that's just me. Whatever dude. It's all good with me. You go ahead and find out your own truths. I wish you well.

Man you are something else. dude. Would you chill out here. You don't even know when someone is playing with you. It's like arguing with a computer. You don't need logic to put together the experiences you've had. You need incite, you need awareness along with wisdom and understanding. Somehow, I think you would use a microscope to find an elephant myself, but that's just me. Whatever dude. It's all good with me. You go ahead and find out your own truths. I wish you well.

Logic pretty much is wisdom and understanding.

Sorry if I offended you, didn't mean it that way.

3. If it can't be explained by science, it is paranormal.

Look at your two posts, there.

The first is an absolute: if science cannot explain it, then it is other-worldly, paranormal, supernatural...call it what you will.

The second is a dodge to your first: there is some evidence; there are theories; we can guess. These are not scientific explanations, marharth...these are avoidance tactics used when the absolute is taken apart. "Some evidence" is not proof; "Theories" are not explanations; "Guesses" are hardly convincing.

Why is the behaviour of children proof that logic fails? Simple - here's a blatant example that any parent can relate to. When a child is tired, they get cranky and throw tantrums. Logic suggests, reason tells us, that they go to bed and sleep so they will no longer be tired. But children don't do that: they instead continue with their crankiness and anger, because that is their emotional response - in defiance of logic and reason.

Sticking your head in the sand to avoid metaphysics doesn't mean these things aren't there.

Wisdom is the application of knowledge and reasoning (which includes logic). Understanding follows Wisdom and Intellect. Logic is but one part of our psyche; it is one process of reaching conclusions. Logic is not the pinnacle of thought processes, it is a part of them. That you prefer logic to other methods of thinking does not invalidate the other processes, and for you to suggest it does is only limiting yourself.

//EDIT: added third quote and follow-up comment.

Edited by Sync182

3. If it can't be explained by science, it is paranormal.

Look at your two posts, there.

The first is an absolute: if science cannot explain it, then it is other-worldly, paranormal, supernatural...call it what you will.

The second is a dodge to your first: there is some evidence; there are theories; we can guess. These are not scientific explanations, marharth...these are avoidance tactics used when the absolute is taken apart. "Some evidence" is not proof; "Theories" are not explanations; "Guesses" are hardly convincing.

Why is the behaviour of children proof that logic fails? Simple - here's a blatant example that any parent can relate to. When a child is tired, they get cranky and throw tantrums. Logic suggests, reason tells us, that they go to bed and sleep so they will no longer be tired. But children don't do that: they instead continue with their crankiness and anger, because that is their emotional response - in defiance of logic and reason.

Sticking your head in the sand to avoid metaphysics doesn't mean these things aren't there.

You can make logical assumptions that certain things exist. You can't make logical assumptions that love is not a emotion since there is no proof to show otherwise.

There is a big difference between having some evidence, and having no evidence at all.

Or maybe the child isn't really tired and they don't feel like sleeping at the same time you want them to? They probably are not tired, and putting them to bed is just to match a schedule.

Or maybe the child isn't really tired and they don't feel like sleeping at the same time you want them to? They probably are not tired, and putting them to bed is just to match a schedule.

We are drifting way off-topic, now, but: one day, presumably, you'll have children of your own...and then you will understand that what you've just said here is very, very wrong.

To drag us back on-topic: to continue with the notion that you may one day have your own children, you will then also understand that love cannot be explained by science, as you will inevitably be confronted by the scenario where your child is being so obsinate that you will want to hurt it, yet you will still love it. How can one person holding diagrammatically-opposite emotions about the one object be logical? It can't be, but it's very true - again, as any parent can tell you.

I wish you luck...I'm now done with this topic.

We are drifting way off-topic, now, but: one day, presumably, you'll have children of your own...and then you will understand that what you've just said here is very, very wrong.

To drag us back on-topic: to continue with the notion that you may one day have your own children, you will then also understand that love cannot be explained by science, as you will inevitably be confronted by the scenario where your child is being so obsinate that you will want to hurt it, yet you will still love it. How can one person holding diagrammatically-opposite emotions about the one object be logical? It can't be, but it's very true - again, as any parent can tell you.

I wish you luck...I'm now done with this topic.

Maybe because the child is your genetic offspring...?

You don't offend me man. You mesmerize me. I would most definitely like to be there when you finally do fall heads over heels in love with someone and have to really look at you line of thought. That would be extremely interesting. But as I say, It's all good. You have a great day.

You don't offend me man. You mesmerize me. I would most definitely like to be there when you finally do fall heads over heels in love with someone and have to really look at you line of thought. That would be extremely interesting. But as I say, It's all good. You have a great day.

Your assuming I haven't already.

I feel that it can be explained by science, why does that mean I haven't ever felt love?

Your assuming I haven't already.

I feel that it can be explained by science, why does that mean I haven't ever felt love?

Then explain to me how if I look at this girl I never met, I feel nothing, but as soon as I see her friend, who, I also never met, I fall instantly in love. They are both beautiful, smart, and outgoing. So why is it the other one totally doesn't interest me? Wouldn't the so call "mixture of chemicals" in my brain, work for both?

I see a flaw in your argument.