What is wring with the American Educational system

kvnchrist

I may not know what an American school look's like but when I spent my six months of hell in one of these Canadian ones I swear half the people couldn't read stuff that was written for first graders.

Funny thing is, I used to (note the past tense) have a friend from Canada who was very elitist, and went on about how much people in Canada and England were so much better than anyone in America. She made it sound like there was no ill behavior or uneducated slobs to be found. While she never came out and said so directly, her attitudes told me she included me somewhat in this as well. She didn't like it at all when I began pointing things out like what you describe, and the whole chav thing (In England, i know there was an equivalent in Canada as well), and how if they were all so much better then the US in the first place, then why were there people like this there, too?. Eventually she stopped talking to me all together, because she disliked me having the temerity to challenge her. Well, she did always say we were in different social circles and she was right: I wasn't a snob :P

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, well, Canada > America, after all.

Canada = America, from what I've seen. Only difference I've seen (no offense) is that Canadians are pacifist and American's are the opposite.

Canadas political system is a lot different, they have bigger social programs, and a number of other things.

And people wonder why I think everyone is a moron... I don't meet people that weren't schooled by America!

That is a sterotype and is therefore invalid.

I can still speak, I can spell just about any word vocalized to me, I can read, I can multi-task, I can walk, I can solve problems independently, just like everyone else. On top of that, I've mastered the basics and excelled with a learning disability. If you want to call this honor student a moron just because he was raised in the states, then I got news for you: You're wrong buddy. :thumbsup:

I suggest you restate your bias conclusion.

Perhaps I did not phrase this right. What I meant to say was of people I personally have met. Most of the people in my state have an IQ that is floating somewhere around that of a mailbox. I know a kid who can barely spell in 10th grade. Shoot, I know people who can barely SPEAK properly in 10th grade.

Then again, I DID mention people from one of the most notoriously awful school districts in the entire US.

I apologize, I was a little upset when I wrote that, lol. But yes, please don't sterotype.

*looks at thread title*

Well...spelling & grammar seems to be a problem... ;)

Last time I checked, "wrong" had an "o" in it. And questions ended with a ? :tongue:

*looks at thread title*

Well...spelling & grammar seems to be a problem... ;)

Last time I checked, "wrong" had an "o" in it. And questions ended with a ? :tongue:

I guess you missed post #3 in this thread.

I would argue against teaching music and art in schools.

I don't see art and music as something you need for your life, and it takes away time from other courses.

Fair enough, however your argument would probably fail.

Art might not be something you need to create in your daily life, but I'd scarcely say that I could do without it in mine, nor would I want to live in a world without it. As a graphic designer, it's been invaluable to me to have an early understanding of color theory and composition. After all, not everybody aspires to be a calculator when they grow up. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/laugh.gif

At any rate, I guess you failed to comprehend the part where I wrote that such courses would be elective-only, along side other courses that don't apply to everybody's daily lives, such as trig, calc, soc, phys ed, et cetera.

I don't see art and music as something you need for your life, and it takes away time from other courses.

Art might not be something you need to create in your daily life, but I'd scarcely say that I could do without it in mine, nor would I want to live in a world without it. As a graphic designer, it's been invaluable to me to have an early understanding of color theory and composition. After all, not everybody aspires to be a calculator when they grow up. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/laugh.gif

At any rate, I guess you failed to comprehend the part where I wrote that such courses would be elective-only, along side other courses that don't apply to everybody's daily lives, such as trig, calc, soc, phys ed, et cetera.

Honestly I don't see it needed to spend school funding on elective only art programs.

We live in a age where you can learn about that stuff without the need of a school.

Honestly I don't see it needed to spend school funding on elective only art programs.

We live in a age where you can learn about that stuff without the need of a school.

This is by far the most arrogant thing you have posted Marharth.

Art is freedom of expression, it opens your mind to new worlds and insights to view the universe from more than one perspective. It allows one to vent from a creative outlet in life and helps with healthy mental function. It brings forth ideas and allows the one who is being enriched not only culturally, but spiritually, to question life and get the answers they will need to move on. I can understand art at least to some degree, but no music? That is an outrageous thing to even consider. Music is a VERY important thing in humanity, it's been with us for as long as civilization first rose from those sands in Mesopotamia. It is like a drug, it's addictive and inpowering and can influence what you do and how you act. I feel sorry for those who don't partake into one of life's greatest gifts. Eat what goldren fruit you are given.

Remember that teenagers need outlets, they need to breathe and they need to run, they need to expand and they need to spread their wings and fly. They need outlets to express themselves and to be the best they can. Removing this from the educational system is not only foolish and ignorant, but it is also suicidal, especially in America's case, both because we are a melting pot and because we can't afford to suffer another blow to the books. Plus, school is the best place to learn these two because teachers influence our lives in education more than anyone else in our lives will, therefore, it increases the chance of a healthy and balanced life from the benefits that they can give a person. Take it from an artist, your idea would kill culture, and culture is what civilization is. Take it away, and you've got yourself something more unstable than the French Republic has been up until recently. Art and music is certainly not pointless. It is fundemental and necessary in the school system.

Edited by Keanumoreira