Should underaged kids serve adult time for crimes

kvnchrist

Everyone in this topic should reconsider what you would call a child imo.

If your sixteen years old, and don't know the difference between right and wrong you are mentally ill or have the IQ of a bat.

Hell if your thirteen and don't know that you shouldn't kill people, you are mentally ill.

Of course people at a certain age should be charged fully with the crime. What is that age?

I'm wondering what the parents' reaction to their kid brutally stabbing someone is.

Good point. some parents might just approve, which brings up another question. Should parents be accountable for their children's crimes, if they are violent crimes?

Of course people at a certain age should be charged fully with the crime. What is that age?

Depends on the crime, depends on the child, and depends on the situation. 1) Does the child understand what they did? If yes, do they know what they did was wrong? If yes, charge as a full adult. If they don't know it is wrong and are 8+, they are mentally ill in some way, and need to see a psychiatrist. If they don't understand what they did, it's clear they can't function in an adult society, jail included, and need special treatment and attention, but they should all still serve time.

I'm wondering what the parents' reaction to their kid brutally stabbing someone is.

Good point. some parents might just approve, which brings up another question. Should parents be accountable for their children's crimes, if they are violent crimes?

In a way, yes. To the point where they stand trial with the child? No. However, I would not object if they were to be brought up on child neglect charges (or something similar, I'm no lawyer) for failure to teach a child properly. The reason I disagree with charging them fully is because the child will still be exposed to a degree of right/wrong understanding through school, and should have some sense of morality, even at the most base level.