About Shivering Isles

Ghoulz

It has been my understanding that if you have Oblivion patched to version 1.2.0416 you will need to uninstall the game and reinstall it and Shivering Ilse's using the version 1.2.0416 Shivering Ilse's patch for both. You will get an error if you try to update Shivering Ilse's on an already updated Oblivion game. I know that it's a hassle, but Shivering Isles is worth it.

Just copy your 'Data' directory over to somewhere temporary and move it back after installation so that you will not have to reinstall all of your mods again.

Rabbit

I knew it...

What will happen if I don't?

Since Shivering Isles modifies Oblivion.exe and Oblivion.esm(The SI plugin is empty dummy plugin for loading SI resources), it's recommended to uninstall the game, reinstall it, install SI, then patch it to 1.2.0416 as other poster said. If the game is not updated to 1.2.0416, there will be game-breaking problem: Reference ID bug, or so-called F-Bomb.

(Oblivion only patch won't be applied on SI installation)

Edited by LFact

It is best to install your game to someplace outside of "Program Files". There are safeguards and file protections, the UAC, which can interfere with mods working properly within the game. My game is on C:/Oblivion. Some people use C:/Games/Oblivion. It's all the same.

Rabbit

Leave the CS alone?

Well I reinstalled. Ran it, some super old version so I guess it's right so far. Brother mailed his game a week ago so I should get it soon I would think, unless mail is that incompetent these days.

Should I put back in all my mods, or wait to install SI and the patch?

Edited by Ghoulz

Install the game, install the Shivering Isle's, patch it with the Shivering Isle's patch. Start the game and create a new character. Run around the cell a little bit and save. This sets up the game's ini file and creates the 'data' tree. Now you can take your backed up 'data' folder and drop it into the Oblivion folder. When it asks you for permission to overwrite say "Yes". Then re enable your mods and you should be good from this point on.

The Construction Set is an afterthought and can be added at any time. Just make sure that the game is working first.

Rabbit

So, you can use existing saves with this method too? I assume you can, just checking.

EDIT:

Right, I wrote a read-me for myself. This sound right?

1.Move the folders Data, obmm, Unoficial... to backup on external HD.

2.Move the files related to OBSE and OBMM to backup on external HD.

3. Check everything is OK and the only files left are not mod related.

4. Move the save files (in documents/ my games) to the back up too.

5. Uninstall Oblivion.

6. Install Oblvion to C:/Games/Oblivion

7. Install SI

8. Install patch 1.2.0416 for SI (UK version).

9. Start oblvion, new game, run around cell, save and quit.

10. Put all the files you moved back into the right places.

11. Re-enable all mods with OBMM.

12. Run TES4LODGen.

13. Enjoy!

Also, screenie of my oblivion folder:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5010825/oblvionfolder.png

Edited by sade1212

SI is definitely not just another mod as it actually makes changes in the Oblivion.exe file (the actual game) that cannot be undone. For some reason Bethesda made the SI patch incompatible with the Oblivion patch but gave them the same version number :facepalm:

Sometimes installing the SI patch after the oblivion patch actually does work. It seems to depend on which version of Oblivion you start with and what patches you have already applied. If you get the error that another file of the same name is already installed, you must reinstall, if it takes you are OK to go.

Here is a link to my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the WIKI section of the Nexus

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Oblivion_reinstall_procedure

It allows you to preserve any saves and mods, or remove them completely - your choice.

All of the other DLCs are just like mods and can be treated like mods in that you can easily uninstall them and disable them in the data list. As was already said. the ShiveringIsles.esp is a dummy with nothing in it, disabling it just prevents the SI part from starting, but all of the SI new changes to the Oblivion.exe are installed anyway. Just leave it unchecked until you are ready to play the SI.