Crashes on Start a new game. [without mods.]

Asuke01

I played Skyrim for 4 years, Nothing weird happens until now.

I just bought a new SSD and after I moved Skyrim to the new drive, steam force me to re-downloaded it.

After that happens, I can't play Skyrim anymore, even when I deactivate all mods. Every time I start a new game, the game crashes horribly. [i saw Aldruin before the crash happened though.]

This is really annoying. The game used to work though, when I played it on another drive. [the old one.] now even without any mods activated, it still crashes.

Edited by Asuke01

- Can you confirm that when steam had you reinstall the game, did you first create a new 'steam library' on your new SSD then had steam download and install it to there?

If not, it's pretty easy. In steam, at the top select the 'steam' drop-down, then select 'settings' then 'downloads' then in the downloads menu select the 'Steam Library Folders' box then within that, create the new steam library on your SSD selecting 'Add Library Folder'. I have 2 SSDs and 1 very large HDD and install games on any three drives using three libraries depending on what kind of game it is - PC/Graphics games go onto one of the SSDs, rest go to the HDD,

More questions:

- Prior to having steam reinstall the game, did you make sure the following directories were totally deleted (regardless whether you backed them up or not before deleting them? I'm listing the Windows 7 locations, might be different on Windows 10.

- Delete entire (save games and ini files) skyrim folder in >> \users\[yourname]\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim

- Delete entire (loadorder and plugin list files) skyrim folder in >> \user\[yourname]\AppData\Local\Skyrim

Finally, if you manually copied the folder over to the SSD drive, I would delete both copies and start over just to be safe. After that, it should work fine. Once you're done, I recommend that you actually copy the entire skyrim game folder from you new SSD to the old HDD (if it has a lot of space) and have that as your complete game backup. I actually have 5 Skyrim backups taking up over 300 GB - my vanilla skyrim and then different iterations of it with mods. My current backup is a 99/9% stable skyrim with 153 mods.

Good luck!

Oh BTW - forgot to mention when deleting this one:

- Delete entire (loadorder and plugin list files) skyrim folder in >> \user\[yourname]\AppData\Local\Skyrim

'AppData' folder is by default, 'Hidden' by windows, just Google 'unhide folders Windows 7' to see how to unhide it within \user\[yourname]\ then you should be able to see it and all the directories underneath.

Uh...man.. that's gonna take a day or two. well It's worth trying though.

- I deleted the game using steam, it seemed to delete every vanilla asset in the folder. but I didn't make it real clean though. there're plugins and other modded folders left behind.

- However I did try delete those contents in My Games\Skyrim clean.

- I forgot about the contents in local\skyrim

Hope this time it'll work though. re-downloading the game from steam always takes days. :sad:

I'll do as you suggested backing up those mods and re-installing the game fresh.

Good luck, yea make sure you backup then delete the other modded left behind folders first.

I'm about to make a large posting for newbies to both computers and skyrim. I don't think you're one of them BTW since you know how to copy/replace files and folders, but have a look at the part about backing up.

That is a very great idea, making such a guide.

I can play the game now which is.... really weird. it's might be the left over in that appdata folder. Anyhow, thank you so much for the help mate.

----------

This is weird, turned out that it's the terrain folder that cause the crash.

Anyway it's nice to finally locate the cause.

Edited by Asuke01