GET A REAL POLICY ON SPOILERS

MarkC9

Why are people allowed to upload mods to the site without the descriptions being checked for spoilers? Absolutely ridiculous. I switched over to PC in the hopes that the game would be better. Now I find myself informed of things that happen 80% through the main story. God damn I wish I just stayed on Xbox.

Here is a good idea for Skyrim: Make a policy where people can't upload mods for everyone to use while telling you what happens halfway through the game FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER OTHER THAN THERE OWN MISPLACED LOGIC. Why when you say X type of NPC dies, do you feel the need to use an example that is so pertinent to the main quest? And how the hell does something get 5,000 downloads, 13 comments, and no one noticed this... back in June of 2006!

My goodness.

You played the game on Xbox, yet still didn't finish it?

That's why you first play the vanilla game, then mod it.

Sorry if you got anything spoiled, but I wouldn't worry about it. Oblivion's story isn't really great, especially the main storyline.

You will find a lot better side quests in Oblivion.

As Lv000 said, it's common usage for most is that they play the vanilla game first before they'd even attempt a go at mods and everyone always advises to do so because you'd better understand what's been changed. A perfect 1 time only playthrough using mods immediately is non-existent. Second, mods are modifying the existing gameplay...it's more than logical 'spoilers' are present in the first place as you want to explain what part you are changing.

The line between spoiling and not spoiling is a matter of opinion, not misplaced logic. One will complain it's unclear what is being changed while another will immediately spot what it is, because it's mostly orientated on clarifying usually that end is chosen so that everyone understands it. It's a waste of time to add a rule for it as it causes more issues than it solves as it'd be an opinion based rule.

Mods can change a game a lot, but the core will always be the same...even with total overhauls like Nehrim. If you didn't like it on one platform, it's unlikely you'll like it at another.

Edited by Pronam

A person should not be downloading mods until they have played the vanilla game clear through and beaten the main quest and some other quests. In fact, they may wish to do this with several different characters such as a warrior, mage, and thief. Different play-styles might be used. You might play a real joiner who loves people and joins every guild he finds and does all the quests. You might play a real loner who doesn't join anything, won't accept quests, and just likes to explore dungeons and horde all the treasure in a big pile because he hates to go to town to sell it. You might play a dark character, you might play a light character .etc .ect.

So if you started downloading mods and reading spoilers, I am afraid you robbed and cheated yourself. You would have been wise to play the vanilla game until you were satiated. Maybe when Skyrim comes out, you will take more time to enjoy the original game before modding it.

Any attempt to upload spoiler-free mod descriptions is rather unrealistic. How can you define what a mod changes, if you do not refer to the thing it changes? That reference is often a spoiler, and it's obvious to most people that you will get those spoilers for that very reason.

Example - mod changes a character to add new quests before a certain point in the game. How is someone to know whether they can run the mod with an existing character unless the mod specifically states "Must be installed before Such-and-such character does so-and-so" - result, spoiler.

Spoiler tags is a good idea, BUT ... there are already too many people who can't even tick a category box on a mod - what hope is there for additional "having to tick a box" sections to be used?

Edited by MarkInMKUK

I agree with: Pronam and David Brasher, you should finish the game as out of the box; then you can cheat like crazy. But if you don't want to do that, then you can't complain by "spoilers". The mods were intended for people who have beaten the vanilla game. And seriously I would like to know what mods you have that have spoilers in them? I have over 80 and none have spoilers... (Ok maybe "Bearclaw_Helm_Replacer" might be a spoiler, BUT if I hadn't known what it was I would not have downloaded it...)

I agree too however I am unfortunately used to games released around 2009-2011. If I had played in 2006 I'm sure I would have done as you guys said, I almost always do.

None the less the specific spoiler I read was rather necessary however it was simply a mistake, both parties have moved on.

I do think certain mods obviously need to include spoilers in the description and it should be mandatory to mark spoiler tags when making such explanations.