How do you learn to mod ?

tiamoc

Honestly, all I'll say is that those who wish to mod, or code, or design, or anything.....they must immediately begin to understand how to RESEARCH. Learn how to provide info for yourself. There are usually plenty of resources and tutorials at your disposal. You just gotta find them.

And once you find them, you must have the patience to follow through in the learning process. Most people quit when they get stuck once.

yep. and more then likely your first oblivion mod will be (like most people) making a "god weapon" using game-in items. thats how i started. right i only modify other peoples mod for my own personal use but i actually want to make real mods for skyrim. messing around with Nifskope so i can hopefully make my own weapons and armors in skyrim or at least just retextures.

Hmmm....sounds good. Thanks everyone. I plan to attend Full Sail University to learn game design, but was just trying to figure out what path would get me closest to a modding type of area. I love all the great mods everyone puts here, and I want to add some of my own some day, and now thanks to all your advice I believe I now know where and what I have to do. Coder is looking good :thumbsup:

Dude let me tell you. It may sound bad, but I mod because I need SOMETHING to add to my portfolio while in my first years of college. IF you want to get into the gaming industry, employers don't just care about degrees; they want to see projects that you have COMPLETED, projects that show your talents. So in my case, I mod so I can "prepare for the future". And I'll take these programming classes so I can gain the essential skills needed to create actual stand-alone games in my last two years of college.

I already have a heavy background in programming, learning Java in high school and a bit of C++ on my own. I've messed around with popular non-commercial engines like torque, C4, and Unity. I also create my own music.

I've done some mods for the source engine (half life 2 and l4d2), but I wanted to create a real adventure mod, a full-fledged quest so I can present to others what I can do with assets that are already given to me (this game) and make something new out of it. I'm referring to level design, structuring, balancing game elements, the narrative, etc. Considering how much I love fallout, and how flexible (more or less) the engine is, I decided to start modding here next. Sooo I've been on the Nexus site since December, on and off, researching what it takes to do so. I only recently became a member in May so I could see what was being discussed in the forums, and...well...here I am in the stage of asking questions to other members who frequent these forums. Once I have a firm-enough grasp on the G.E.C.K. and scripting, and I find others (anyone?) to help me in other areas I lack like modeling and lip syncing, I'll begin work on the mod within the next month. I plan to finish by October/November. The road to completion will not be simple endeavor, I know, but at least I am willing to not give up when I run into roadblocks along the way. I've already been down that road before.

I'm sharing all this nonsense with you so you can understand where I am coming from. I'm no expert, I'm no elitist, I probably don't even know that much more about game design than you do. But I know what it takes. I've seen people fail thinking that just a game development degree behind their name would land them a job ASAP. Nah man. It takes work, so if you wish to mod, you better love the game you're modding.

Don't expect college to teach you everything. They won't. You'll only learn just as much as everyone else, and if that's the case, you'll be another ordinary guy with a gaming degree.

Ok. I'm done talking. Promise. Hope all that made sense.

Edited by Jeux

Before learning how to mod you first have to learn how to learn. I started modding with a small 2D counter strike copy. I started with just poking around other peoples work. I then knew the best the small engine like the one used could provide. I could have started making tiles but I lost interest in modding that specific game. Learning construction set needed a base which many kind moders helped me with and then just poking around after knowing the basics and asking for help if you need it. Then you learn new things every day. (today I learned that iPhone keyboards are terrible and should not be used for long posts like this one)