Oblivion performance issues

IIGaneshaII

I have oblivion installed with qarls texture pack 3, obge v3, liquid water v2 and still only got about 20-30 fps. My specs are ATI HD 5970 2gb, Intel core i7 960 3.2GHz with 4 cores, 8 gig of RAM memory and windows 7 professional 64-bit. I just don't understand why i have such a low fps, i have searched online but still haven't found a answer. Sorry if the question has been asked a million times before, i just really want it to work well. I don't get very good performance in vanilla oblivion either between 30-50 fps, not very low i know but i expected better from such a old game. I have done all the ini and memory tweaks, used performance mods and turned v-sync off but it doesn't help. I did try to remove qtp 3 but it didn't help a bit. Any ideas?

A couple of suggestions:

You could try PYFFIing the meshes to reduce the processing load a bit - I'm currently working on that myself and have a walkthrough here.

Run the Oblivion Ram Booster AFTER backing up your Oblivion.exe.

Thanks man will try it out when i get time, not sure it will do that extremely much though. Really hope so though, and btw great thing that you're doing a tutorial seems pretty complicated. And ive already donte the Ram booster thing, didnt help either :confused:

Additional suggestions:

Antivirus - check it's not set to "scan all files on access" and also check for a setting labelled "Heuristics".

Defrag properly - not the Windows half-assed approach. I use Defraggler (Free download - Google for it)

I have the same problem.

Right now I'm running:

Crossfire with two ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870

Intel® Core i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz

And I have 8 gigs of ram.

I just tried installing the RAM Booster, but it didn't do anything to help the FPS.

I thought Better Cities might be causing me lag, but when I deactivated them and tried again, I still only got about 5-10 FPS in third person. Is it just a horrible compatibility issue?

@Koranoth - You've got a slug for a processor - Despite EVERYTHING that can be done, Oblivion still doesn't make efficient use of a multicore CPU, so your basic speed is only 1.6GHz. There's a reason for the minimum clock speed on the box.

@IIGaneshaII - Time to post a FULL mod list, with all OBSE plugins listed as well, and a DXDiag listing. Maybe someone can puzzle something out.

Double-check - you haven't installed Streamline have you? That acts as a very effective framerate limiter...

As incredible as it sounds, the problem may be related to sound (sorry for the pun).

The first step should be installing third party codecs, I suggest k-lite here but my information is somewhat old now and I don't know other options (but that one is good enough).

Oblivion, Fallout 3/NV are known to have problems with many integrated sound cards, that issue affects the overall performance and not always reflects on the sound itself (although chopping/popping and general oddities are known too).

Even after that codec install, look for mods like "quiet feet" because residual problem still remain with creature pawns sounds (oddly enough it does not affects NPCs).

Quiet feet helps. Oblivion plays a .wav file for every footstep, so fighting 3 wolves = 3x4 feet + 2 player feet = 14 wav files playing at once during a small skirmish. Also try gamebooster. It's a free utility that shuts down a lot of background processes and frees up memory for gaming. Also remember that Oblivion isn't like a lot of other games. It isn't optimised for high FPS. If you're getting 30-40 then rejoice for you are doing well.

RP