I just saw something that kinda dwarfed Skyrim to me...

WolfySnackrib

Giving computer graphics unlimited power? < they said it, not me.

IF they can actually run unlimited amount of point cloud data (a bit like voxels) I will be impressed. They must be doing something that culls the number on screen or some LOD method. because there really is no way to get a infinite number of anything... in anything... anywhere. It's infinite.

just imagine if you add physics data to each of those point cloud data. so you could procedurally destroy the objects and they would be damaged in such a way that they do so with the material that they were actually constructed out of in mind. and baring in mind what material the object it is being damaged with, and the voxels color change to represent burn marks or cracks or what ever, much like decal impact sets or particle sprays do in most games these days.

Unless that works out, why bother with voxel type data and not polygon meshes? if the physics is going to melt your hardware it's just a pretty picture.

I watched a video on point cloud a couple years back and it seems to be a conceptual thing right now. It'd take a long time to grow on our technological market if it works like they say. Edited by AltreU

This will never work. Animation is very hard to do with voxels right now. I'm guessing that dynamic lighting is out of the question since you would have to shade every single voxel, which according to them is "infinite". So, if the amount of voxels are infinite then theoretically, shading would be calculated for an infinite amount of time. It would be nice if they said what it is that they actually mean. If you really want to know about technology that is viable in today's world then I urge you to watch

This will never work. Animation is very hard to do with voxels right now. I'm guessing that dynamic lighting is out of the question since you would have to shade every single voxel, which according to them is "infinite". So, if the amount of voxels are infinite then theoretically, shading would be calculated for an infinite amount of time. It would be nice if they said what it is that they actually mean. If you really want to know about technology that is viable in today's world then I urge you to watch

Never work is a bit harsh.

It won't be working any time soon, but its not fair to say it will never work.

People have already discussed it, and it's (pretty much) a scam, sadly. This article summarizes it:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/02/notch-vs-unlimited-detail/

That article doesn't take a some things into consideration - primarily the fact that when you are building a game world, you want to be able to recycle as much content as possible but still avoid obvious repetition. The tech demo pretty much does exactly that and the article does mention that sparse voxel octrees are great for that sort of thing. So yeah, there's a million pebbles on the ground, but they are all slightly rotated clones of, say, five or six originals. It's not like the player is going to notice. You can do the same with more complex structures, like tree leaves, grass, vines, rocks, etc.

It could, in theory, even make games *lighter* in file size since you can do variation on a much more detailed scale and still achieve incredible variety. In fact, if you could plug in a randomizer for certain shapes, you could procedurally generate much of the static content, which, coupled with some smart LOD-ing could even do away with storing certain art assets on the hard drive altogether.

Procedural game engines are definitely the way of the future... just look at what the guys over at Infinity have achieved. If you want to talk about games that dwarf things... well see for yourself.

Edited by Mansh00ter

Besides the scam thing, a lot of other games dwarf Skyrim. Take a look at Skyrim's gameplay videos again. Doesn't look like the best software currently on the market. Not by a long shot.

Must one not forget that the real plus of a TES game comes from the extensive mod-ability :)