Expert tips which actually aren't

People always obsessing about boot times... I've never noticed an issue, even back in the days of Windows 95... You turn the computer on, you go to the bathroom or grab yourself something to drink, come back and the computer is all loaded. Even if you end up having to reboot in the middle of something, is a minute of downtime to reflect on your desk clutter really going to kill you? And really, that's all you're usually trying to shave down unless you have a whole mess of programs at startup.

Havn't reformatted since I built my current rig (although I really should think about it someday) and havn't noticed any significant slow down in startup that isn't just related to those programs that I want to load at startup. And the speed of those programs loading is kinda something which can't be changed much since they're of the sort that you don't want on a SSD (like anti-viruses which need to update frequently) and which also require processor load. There are so many factors related to boot speed and most of them aren't simple solutions.

What it really boils down to is keeping a system clean of extra programs, trimming your registry every now and then, defragging, making sure you don't have any spyware installed, and making sure you shut down properly.

Or, you can keep your computer running near constantly, rebooting about once a week and you'll never notice.

I couldn't agree more. Posts like this sometimes make me wonder, are you me? LOL

Ccleaner

Malwarebytes

Rootkit Revealer

Autoruns

I also recommend to use Sandboxie program, especially after a fresh format. What it does is keep every file/program/stuff under a specialized quarantined lock down in a single folder. Nothing can get past that lock down to hamper your computer. So even when you do some stuff you are not sure about, with a Delete function you can make the bad things go away.

Or, you can keep your computer running near constantly, rebooting about once a week and you'll never notice.

except when windows requires a reboot (like when it forces you to boot after an update) or you are trying to track down an error and need to reboot several times

dieing of boredom while it reboots

except when windows requires a reboot (like when it forces you to boot after an update)

Why did you think I said about once a week?

If you set Windows to update manually, sure, you're on task to remember to update regularly, but you don't have those moments of having to stop what you're doing because windows decided to make a small security update IE (which nobody in their right mind should be using for normal browsing (plug one whole open two more)).

As for errors, I guess I've been lucky or have behavior which tends to resolve those before they become a problem.

Sandboxy won't help you start faster on its own, but does work rather well at making sure that some of the more problematic viruses and spyware out there won't take hold.

Sandboxy won't help you start faster on its own, but does work rather well at making sure that some of the more problematic viruses and spyware out there won't take hold.

Who said anything about that? It helps you to clear stuff more faster if you keep it on 24/7 as well as keep nasty stuff away from your documents and windows files.

There is nothing mystical about "why" Windows slows down over time. It is called installing, upgrading, uninstalling, re-installing programs adding "extra" features to Windows and new programs...some of which are added as services, some added as device drivers loaded during bootup...some are apps loaded after Windows desktop loads.

A clean install of Windows tends to remain just as fast as day #1 if you don't do anything to it.

So, if you want to reduce the slow-down effect from installing these programs, you need to uninstall them or disable their startup and initial loading sequences. A great tool you mentioned for just such an act is called "msconfig" and looking at the Startup tab, you can tell Windows to not load certain programs you don't really need loaded each time Windows is loaded....such as:

• "Adobe Updater Startup Utility" if you installed anything by Adobe.
  • "Steam" if you don't sign into Steam each-and-everytime you boot the PC.
  • "SunJavaUpdateSched" if you'd rather control when Java got updates.

I used to reformat my WinXP system about once a year. My Win7 PC however has not needed a re-install since I installed it back in 2009 (well, I did re-install when I bought an SSD). I tend to avoid installing things on my gaming rig that bog a PC down. I refuse to install Micro$oft Office because that seems to be a major performance drain on any system. Instead, I use portable apps which don't "install" at all and thus contribute nothing to system bloat...they simply run from where ever they are copied to. OpenOffice, Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, ToDo List, FoxIt Reader, KeePass, etc.

Hi all,

the last time i cleaned up my computer of unnecessary programs, i had installed over time, i realized a nice boot speedup. It was my own laziness to keep all the stuff on it i don't need :rolleyes: . I try to avoid a new installation, it needs ages if you have set up all the things you got used to. A Windows pc is like a child, it needs attention and if you don't care about that it starts complaining ;), well, and having a coffee while it boots helps a lot :biggrin: That's why i'm still using my raptor and not a ssd, i have to reinstall all o_O