Bethesda sues Notch over the use of the word "Scrolls"

yoba333

I have reviewed the website logo and it looks nothing like Zenimax's the s has torks on only one side where zeni's has both sides, the remainder of the word is in capitals and zeni's is in lower case, the colors do not match, and the game is nothing like a 3d rpg. I say fight and be heard take this to the gamers news websites and let the gamers decide. counter sue for damages and damn the man!

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I log in to download a mod and see this in the news. And I figured I might as well make my first post here, to try and explain something that very few people are seeming to get.

This is not about using the word "scrolls". It's about using the word "Scrolls", as a title, to a fantasy game, that in some aspects resembles games of TES series. Do they have a case that'll hold up in court? Who knows. But do not think it's just about the word.

I say this without intending to offend anyone, but you have to love the stupidity of some of these arguments. Saying, for example, "You can't copyright a common word", when Notch already copyrighted the word "Scrolls". So it seems you can copyright/trademark a word. Or maybe you can't, but you can register a title, right? It's simply an empty argument. Not to mention asking if Call of Pripyat or Juarez could be sued by the makers of Call of Duty. I hadn't even heard of the games, but a quick Google search showed me that Call of Juarez is a western, and thus shouldn't be easily confused with CoD; and that "Call of Pripyat" isn't the full, actual name of the game. You forgot the "STALKER:" that goes before it. So that isn't even relevant.

Strawmen. Strawmen as faaaar as the eye can see.

This is why I love and hate Bethesda. They make some of my favorite games, then do stupid stuff like this. I understand why, but really, who calls their games The Elder Scrolls anyway?

Too many of you forget that Beth is owned by Zenimax. Zenimax is suing Notch. Also, there is plenty of reason to believe Notch knew this was going to occur. From what I hear (and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) Notch was informed this was going to happen yet continued with it anyway. Those of you reading the title "Beth sues Notch over the use of the word scrolls" are often failing to understand the entirety of the situation. Copyright lawsuits like this occur all the time, they're just not usually broadcasted like this.

Stop right there, criminal scum! your copyright infringement days are over pay the court a fine or server your sentence

Seriously if a small game company does not bother to do a bit of research and see what they can and can not do legally for a game thats their own dumb fault. Rift got sued for a ton of money but was not widely known and im surprised they are even still around

Stop right there, criminal scum! your copyright infringement days are over pay the court a fine or server your sentence

Seriously if a small game company does not bother to do a bit of research and see what they can and can not do legally for a game thats their own dumb fault. Rift got sued for a ton of money but was not widely known and im surprised they are even still around

Wasn't it Rift with the "we are not in azeroth anymore" adverticement? Don't know anything about them getting sued, but it wouldn't surprise me since they did that.

Also, the main point in this argument is whether the average consumer would buy a game named "scrolls" in the belief that it was a game in the series "the elder scrolls". But seriously, even the most unknowing gamers only refer the TES games as "Oblivion", "Daggerfall" and "Skyrim" if they even kow the name "the elder scrolls" at all.

It would be like you couldn't name a game "galaxy wars" or "star galaxies" because people might (yeah right) think they are part of the "star wars" franchize.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_Games

Here is a good read for you. This is the exact same scenario. Hotch has done nothing to break the law.

Notch was informed this was going to happen yet continued with it anyway. Those of you reading the title "Beth sues Notch over the use of the word scrolls" are often failing to understand the entirety of the situation. Copyright lawsuits like this occur all the time, they're just not usually broadcasted like this.

The inquired into what his IP was about. He was like man it is gonna be this online card game, ya know? The reason this lawsuit is getting broadcasted is because everyone knows there is no actual infringement going on. Nor are people going to confuse brands.

Edited by robert01

This is why I love and hate Bethesda. They make some of my favorite games, then do stupid stuff like this. I understand why, but really, who calls their games The Elder Scrolls anyway?

This is a good point, but even then people don't call the games by "The Elder Scrolls" whatever game it is, they just use the name of the game, like Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind.

there are 1,022,000 words in the english language and an extra 8500 more every year.

the fact that Elder Scrolls Skyrim is coming out soon this year seems that there is an advantage in this chosen name "Scrolls" hehe

ahh.. lawyers.. copyright blah blah.. they gave it a shot didn't they :)

don't make a big fuss of it people!