Bethesda sues Notch over the use of the word "Scrolls"

yoba333

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bethesda has gone mad, they are idiots if they think they can win such a ridiculous lawsuit.

So I am waiting for Lucas Art to sue Bethesda for using the word "Rogue" in Rogue Warrior as it's god damn similar to Rogue Squadron. Waiting for Atlas to sue the crap out of Bethesda naming that game "Demon's Forge" I mean that's not similar to Demon Soul or anything >.> even backgrounds looks similar to certain degree !

I wonder if Bethesda actually paid city of Las Vegas, State of Utah, to make games that is about them while putting that in the name ?! Get over it Bethesda, unless the law suit takes place in California there is not a chance for you to win even a dime.

The fact is that lawsuit would argue over a button on the center of the screen... Moreover, this is an indie company that starts to earn money but is not big enough to have it's own legal departement... An easy prey...

If it was another big game company that would have been another story...

The fact is that usually they use scare in these letters...

It's common practice to scare people even if the case wouldn't hold in court (I don't know if it'd work in america but in france you'd have to have more than a word against or you'd have to grease a lot of palms and it's tricky)

And as for what you say braggadar, to be honest a sci fi game called scrolls...

I mean come on it doesn't even remotely feels like arena or daggerfall... And not even close to copy morowind or oblivion...

If any word used in a game title cannot be used in another game with the same setting titles of the next games coud as well be: flipitroke (racing), flopidum (rpg), babadu (fighting), bwabu of klipo (fps)

Honestly it's not about concern but just easy money...

The way I see it. You can't sue sombody for using a word that has been around for hundreds of years. Notch has every right to use the name SCROLLS as long as the game has little similarities to TES.

This is just my opinion. It's not like we actually get a say in these sorts of things.

This is very misleading. Very.

The title is "Bethesda sues Notch..."

No, Zenimax is suing Notch. Todd can't do anything about it as Zenimax technically owns Bethesda.

Even on Notch's blog, Notch himself made a post saying "Bethesda is suing us..."

Someone is going to have to clear this up a bit, Bethesda is not suing them. It's Zenimax.

Edited by Omeletter

Bethesda saved itself a lot of time and money by putting out the beta version of Morrowind and Oblivion, as though it were the final version, knowing that others would correct the thousands of mistakes for them, for free, by dedicating their time and effort to publish an "Unofficial Oblivion Patch". How moral is that?

Now they're crushing little companies who use a word that has been around for centuries. The word "scrolls" has always referred to any piece of paper or parchment containing a written spell that can be read, and which can be rolled up when not in use! Bethesda has no right to claim that the word belongs to them!

It is ridiculous for Bethesda to sue, and I hope they have to pay the full costs of the case. And I hope that the little companies who are struggling to get through these bullying tactics don't have to pay anyone a damn cent!

I saw a good post about this on GameFAQs, and another somewhere else on the interbuttz. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to make sense.

Zenimax has to file the papers, send the legal whatsits, or do whatever because "The Elder Scrolls" is trademarked and "scrolls" contains part of it. Regardless of which way it goes--and Zenimax may not expect to win--if they didn't try to protect their trademark, some one down the line could make a TES knock-off with "scrolls" in the title and Zenimax or Bethsoft or whoever couldn't say anything because they didn't say anything when Notch used "scrolls" for his game.