What is it that ruins a really good mod for you?

ENDZYM3

If I think a mod is "really good" the way it is, what could "ruin" it for me?... Oh, yes, I know, people downtalking it for no apparent reason!

No, wait, actually this still won't ruin "the mod" for me but the reputation of those people... well, nevermind, sorry.

Seriously though, if a mod is "really good" in my eyes, there's nothing which could "ruin" it for me.

If it has such game breaking bugs or other flaws you're listing here, it certainly won't be considered "really good" by me to begin with after all, period.

For me it's like chronosmagus said earlier: if it's obvious it's a mod, it's not for me. The game has a certain aesthetic that I want mods to maintain, and things that just don't have the right "look and feel" get booted out of my load order.

One thing I wish more modders would keep in mind is the distorted scale that Oblivion uses. Almost all structures in Oblivion are bigger on the inside than on the outside - in some places it's glaringly obvious, like Battlehorn Castle or Castle Anvil. They did that because the Oblivion worldspace is actually really small (when compared to say Morrowind) so they gave it the illusion of size by scaling outdoor objects down. But a lot of modders try to create environments where the size and number of structures is "realistic", particularly in towns and villages etc. As a result, they end up with a place that doesn't mesh with the rest of the world. A classic example for me is the various mods that expand Anvil Bay; by stretching the dock across to the castle peninsula and filling it with stuff, they make it really obvious that the castle is just a tiny thing up on a hill, rather than a majestic fortress seen in the distance. The point being, you can't fix the scale issue, so it's better to make a mod that fits in, than one that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Edited by InAComaDial999

Immersion is not so great a factor for seasoned players. I've played it for so long with no mods, that I know instantly that it's a mod.

txt faaults ar alwais a bugggerr....

Static stuff with a wrong Z-height, floating objects and the like.

And most importantly, stuff that I know I can fix, but I am too lazy to do so.

For example, I downloaded a mod which adds markets in every city. I thought, hurray! Twenty new NPCs (I have more then 500 new NPCs in my mod lists)! But the merchants were lacking the necesarry completion: one non-respawning stock, Orcish at lvl one and etcetera. This kinda pulls me out of the game.

Also, when one of your mods ruins in total now 6 quests, and you don't know which it is. >:(

Edited by Faceshifter

You know, one of those mods that gets all the rave and hype, but you're still just not feeling it because of [insert reason(s)]

For me, it's always voice acting.

This is what killed Vilja for me.

I just can't take that Swedish accent seriously.

I need to find a couple of Gifted impressionists to "fix" the beggar voices where they suddenly switch from their normal voices to upper class ones for certain topics <shudders>.

I'm almost sure this is intentional, actually. When you talk to them about Grey Fox, they switch to normal people voices and IINM, that dialogue is specific to the beggars.

This is what killed Vilja for me.

I just can't take that Swedish accent seriously.

Swedish? I thought it was Nord. With a strong Solstheim accent.

No offense meant. :) It just seems to me that everyone has an accent, that no one is accent-neutral, and that any attempt at voicing plays into this. If you accept any kind of parity between Nord and Scandia, then you'll likely accept Vilja's accent as appropriate, but if you don't, you won't. Which is fine, too. Though I think you're missing out on the best companion mod ever made. Just my opinion, of course.

Swedish? I thought it was Nord. With a strong Solstheim accent.

No offense meant. :) It just seems to me that everyone has an accent, that no one is accent-neutral, and that any attempt at voicing plays into this. If you accept any kind of parity between Nord and Scandia, then you'll likely accept Vilja's accent as appropriate, but if you don't, you won't. Which is fine, too. Though I think you're missing out on the best companion mod ever made. Just my opinion, of course.

No, see, I'm Swedish, and so is the voice actress. So, it's kinda hard for me to accept this as some kind of Nord dialect as opposed to an actual Swedish person speaking English while pretending to be a fantasy character. It sort of adds a whole extra level of disbelief for me to suspend.

Really huge boobs and *woohoos* -_- It is not required. What is the point?? If its for immersion reasons, this is oblivion....Women wouldn't run around with huge manga style breasts and men would wear the skanky loincloth pants....not run around with....THAT 0_0 what if he got hit there.......I just hate mods like that which are waaaay to over the top -_-

Mods that require multiple other mods to function. Nothing more frustrating than a fun, interesting, challenging mod that needs multiple other mods (so and so's hair mod, such and such's armour mod, ham and cheese's weapons mod, etc....) to work and all of these "necessary" mods cause nothing but problems or worse are totally out of sync with the game.

Wihtout a doubt for me, quests that don't work properly or quests that are overly vague. For this reason although I play with OOO, I don't actively pursue the OOO quests, simply because in 3 games going well into it, have never finished one. I thought I had finished slaves and smugglers in one game but it never came up as such and I had to use COC to get out of the last smugglers cave as it would just crash all the time.

I know it is supposed to be difficult but given that quest lines can simply just stop if you do somethings in the wrong order, some sort of a walkthrough is really needed. I still have no idea about some of the factions, how to end their quests if there is one, e.g. Arctic bandits, have killed 2 major ones but all I get is a message to say I hagve killed someone important, no follow up markers, nothing on their bodies etc.

Quests like AFK Weye, Bartholm, Hoarfrost castle, at least they can be completed, even though they are easier (except for Weye, down in a hole and freedom for my people), That was a doosie, I came out with my 2 companions carrying 75 daedra hearts and was down there for nearly a week.