Skyrim Official Trailer is a disappointment

ReaperLeopard

Even the dragon in Witcher 2 was more scary, had a feeling of OMFG RUN! The dragon in Skyrim just meh...

Whereas in TES games you could run AND jump, thus not being defeated by a two inch incline. Maybe that is where the fear from the Witcher's creatures comes from.....

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me that you're pretty much looking for things just to bash about in the trailer. That being said, having watched the Witcher trailer you posted, I'm not impressed. The trailer itself was too sporadic. Extremely abrupt start, then calm talking, then slightly less calm talking, then BAM ACTION EXPLOSIONS and mild sex scene. Also, overuse of slow-mo Matrix stuff, those things should only really be used sparingly.

You also have to realize that the Skyrim trailer came out several months ago, and Bethesda wasn't secret about the fact that they were still working on quite a bit of it. It's dangerous to show stuff in ads that you're not sure will make it into the final game.

Also, I'm very sorry to hear that you'd rather have everything in your face and up front rather than using a tiny bit of imagination. But The Elder Scrolls have NEVER given your character any background story for why they're imprisoned at the start, so I'm not sure why you're acting like this is a new thing for Skyrim. I can tell you that from what I've seen here at least, people love using their own imagination to decide what kind of character they're playing, and since there's no picking from a list of birthsigns classes, etc., a lot of people are even more excited for this. But think of it this way: If nobody wanted to use their imagination and only wanted in-your-face things for the sake of immersion (which is funny, because that type of stuff hurts immersion for me, rather than helps it), we wouldn't have all the wonderful mods out there for Morrowind and Oblivion.

I think skyrim trailer is awesome but i have to agree with you ReaperLeopard on this matter, the feeling of powerfull creatures was always lacking in beth's games...its like someone pushed the randomize button and there you go..its not really that the dragons are designed badly but i do feel they lack on the "creature of power" factor ...i can bet that with different dragons we will see mostly recoloring of the same model in the game.

TES (mostly) doesn't do scripted fights. Way harder to make a 50-foot tall creature act in a sensible way when you give both it and the player total freedom of movement and actions. Secondly, dragons in Skyrim aren't endgame boss monsters: They're treated just like any other creature out in the wilderness. You're going to be fighting them throughout the entire game, even at low levels when you'll be relatively weak. Of course they can't all be godlike monsters who can level whole mountain ranges just by breathing on them too hard. Besides, what RPG have you ever seen that actually has dragons make actual use of their ability to fly in combat? Skyrim's the first game featuring them I've ever seen where their wings aren't just for show.

The only thing im worried about is, as i said we will probably see the same old dragon model just recolored a few times instead of making their appearance unique by thier abilites, when i saw the fight with the fire and frost dragon there wasnt really any difference between the two, atleast i didnt saw it, correct me if im wrong.

The differences between them are on a micro rather than macro scale: The frost dragons have an impressive set of horns on their head as well as a pair of vampire-esque fangs that stick out of their mouth. As well, the texture of the scales on their body is totally different. But yeah, there's not much difference that you can see in the video because it's flying 50 feet above your head the whole time.

Thanks for clarifying that up for me, i didnt discern there were those changes between them..i dont really need a super difference so this made me happy what you wrote. Also you are right about that tes is the first game that has dragons behaving naturally in freedom of movenement and unscripted attacks, not just for show.

So or so im still more impressed with skyrim trailer then witcher2, im just holding the "happyly jumping arround" becouse im still pretty sceptical, but there are moments where im really close to it.

Seems to me that you're pretty much looking for things just to bash about in the trailer. That being said, having watched the Witcher trailer you posted, I'm not impressed. The trailer itself was too sporadic. Extremely abrupt start, then calm talking, then slightly less calm talking, then BAM ACTION EXPLOSIONS and mild sex scene. Also, overuse of slow-mo Matrix stuff, those things should only really be used sparingly.

You also have to realize that the Skyrim trailer came out several months ago, and Bethesda wasn't secret about the fact that they were still working on quite a bit of it. It's dangerous to show stuff in ads that you're not sure will make it into the final game.

Also, I'm very sorry to hear that you'd rather have everything in your face and up front rather than using a tiny bit of imagination. But The Elder Scrolls have NEVER given your character any background story for why they're imprisoned at the start, so I'm not sure why you're acting like this is a new thing for Skyrim. I can tell you that from what I've seen here at least, people love using their own imagination to decide what kind of character they're playing, and since there's no picking from a list of birthsigns classes, etc., a lot of people are even more excited for this. But think of it this way: If nobody wanted to use their imagination and only wanted in-your-face things for the sake of immersion (which is funny, because that type of stuff hurts immersion for me, rather than helps it), we wouldn't have all the wonderful mods out there for Morrowind and Oblivion.

Seems to me you're bashing anyone pointing out negative things about Skyrim. And how are you 'sorry' I'd rather have everything in your face than using imagination? Then you talk about character background story which is not what I meant by in your face. I mean an engaging storyline where your character can emotional link into, a world you immerse yourself in, nothing to do with background story for the character. You seem to be relying on mods. A game shouldn't be lacking of immersion requiring mods to patch it up. If you want to use your imagination go to bed and go dream. When you play an rpg you're suppose to have an engaging storyline you can immerse yourself in, not go imagining things. I mean seriously, what's the point in having a main quest or faction quests when you can simply wander round the game imagining everything? That sums up how you're viewing the game.

Even the dragon in Witcher 2 was more scary, had a feeling of OMFG RUN! The dragon in Skyrim just meh...

Whereas in TES games you could run AND jump, thus not being defeated by a two inch incline. Maybe that is where the fear from the Witcher's creatures comes from.....

Wrong. It's more to do with scripted events, and we all know Skyrim will probably be like Oblivion where all bosses are just like every other creature but with better stats. If the end boss will be anything like Mehrune Dagon it's gonna suck cause instead of screaming my head off I was just oh look it's Mehrune Dagon, hi there!

Seems to me you're bashing anyone pointing out negative things about Skyrim. And how are you 'sorry' I'd rather have everything in your face than using imagination? Then you talk about character background story which is not what I meant by in your face. I mean an engaging storyline where your character can emotional link into, a world you immerse yourself in, nothing to do with background story for the character. You seem to be relying on mods. A game shouldn't be lacking of immersion requiring mods to patch it up. If you want to use your imagination go to bed and go dream. When you play an rpg you're suppose to have an engaging storyline you can immerse yourself in, not go imagining things. I mean seriously, what's the point in having a main quest or faction quests when you can simply wander round the game imagining everything? That sums up how you're viewing the game.

No need for the tone, I wasn't bashing anyone. I'm not under the delusion that Skyrim will be pure perfection, there's plenty that I remain skeptical of. And believe me, I love me a good, engaging plot that draws me in and gives me some kind of emotional link, but what I love even more are ones that work the audience's imagination into it. So far, thanks to the incredible world Bethesda has created, Elder Scrolls games have always delivered on that (well, somewhat, Oblivion's main plot was kinda weak, I didn't feel that much of a connection when Martin died). Point is, the best storylines are the ones that are both engaging AND utilizes imagination. The Dark Brotherhood questline in Oblivion was plenty engaging, and allowed me to use my mind to think up all kinds of stuff. The mission where you murder the pirate captain? One of the ways to do it is to hide in a crate, but I chose to creep in from the cabin window, and allowed the two crew members to catch a quick glimpse of me, which made it even more fun. And that was the beauty of it, it was engaging, but was broad and unspecific enough for me to do things how I like.

Also, not sure where you're getting the idea that I rely entirely on mods, I played Morrowind on and off for a few years before I even discovered mods, and even then I really didn't download many till Oblivion. And I have to say, since I think Heart of the Dead and The Lost Spires are vastly more entertaining than Oblivion's main quest, the mods are worth it. Besides, if Bethesda didn't worry about imagination, they wouldn't keep making the Construction Sets available.

I didn’t find the witcter 2 trailer all that good in fact after watching it I think I may never get that game now, I played witcher 1 it was just ok they lack so much vs any tes game.

The witcher 2 is a far superior game. It's far from perfect but it's a good game to pick up. I'd suggest waiting for a console release unless you have a good rig to run it on PC. Considering your current attitude toward it I'd wait for a price drop before picking it up. That way you don't feel cheated, if you're not satisfied with it.

Gotta admit, my first impressions of skyrim weren't very enthusiastic. The info has been what's drawing me more and more. Beyond simple interest now. I had it in my mind I would purchase skyrim without a doubt, considering it's a TES game. Just hope it can live up to the hype.

Wrong. It's more to do with scripted events, and we all know Skyrim will probably be like Oblivion where all bosses are just like every other creature but with better stats. If the end boss will be anything like Mehrune Dagon it's gonna suck cause instead of screaming my head off I was just oh look it's Mehrune Dagon, hi there!

First off, I assure you they are moving further and further away from Oblivion. Let's face it, Oblivion was really them trying to make a better Morrowind, but getting too over-enthusiastic and having to cut down heaps of features until you got what we got in the end. They've made that mistake, and I guarantee we are going to get a more Morrowind-esque game.

And anyway, the true beauty of TES games is not having a boss who will do the exact same thing every time you fight it. And its not getting scared senseless (maybe try FEAR or something). I don't know where you got that idea. It's about being forced to adapt, not knowing what's going to happen. Which is why there are so many dungeons, which is why there are so many bizarre quests, which is why they have made dragons unscripted so you don't quite know what they are going to do during a fight: they might swoop you, the might attempt to eat your companion, they might bank away suddenly, fly away and come back suddenly to attack you once more once you think you're safe. I guarantee that this will have far more replay than a WOW inspired cyclic boss with predetermined fighting mechanics. That gets boring the second time around.

It's like saying I go to the Lord of the Rings because I want to be scared. I don't, and I'm not scared by the Lord of the Rings. I liked it because it was a well crafted movie.