Skill Minigames

Alcrin

43 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the minigames in Skyrim?

• This is wonderful! Oblivion's was great! I'm glad to see more.
    • This is horrible! A terrible idea before and a terrible idea now.
    • It depends. They could have learned from their earlier mistakes.
    • Meh. I don't care either way.
    • Pfft, real men use the console!
    • What's Skyrim?

Here's a topic I haven't seen here yet: As many of you already know, it's confirmed we're getting more mini-games in Skyrim to determine things instead of random skill rolls, like Oblivion's lockpicking mini-game. Many more interactions, from pickpocketing to smithing, are supposedly handled by mini-games now as well.

How do you feel about this development decision?

Edited by Alcrin

Err, haven't played Fallout 3, actually. So I can't really say. However what I can gleam from reading about it is you just select the ingredients and out comes the crafted object. So it's not really a minigame unless Oblivion's alchemy also counts as a minigame. But again, haven't played the game.

minigames = bad.

When I think of minigames, I think of RDR, Fable, GTAIV, etc. That kind of thing doesn't belong in TES. Everything in TES should feel natural within the world with no changes to the camera angle or anything scripted.

I don't mind minigames so much, but truth be told when they're applied on top of skills (where your skill rank, IMO, should determine your chance of success as with lockpicking etc) they just get in the way. Once I had the Skeleton Key in Oblivion all I ever did was punch the auto-attempt button until it opened... whenever I had a sufficient number of lockpicks before I acquired it I did the same thing and just never sank any points into lockpick because the minigame made the skill worthless.

Basically, I don't consider the minigames a major impediment to gameplay, but they do little to add to immersion and I tend to start bypassing them as soon as I am able to do so.

I'm not casting a vote. I would like the minigames if they were real time.

Well what if you suck at lockpicking, then you'd never be able to get into buildings before the patrolling guards came past.

Also, what happened to traps on locks? I just remembered it wasn't in Oblivion.

I'm not casting a vote. I would like the minigames if they were real time.

Well what if you suck at lockpicking, then you'd never be able to get into buildings before the patrolling guards came past.

Also, what happened to traps on locks? I just remembered it wasn't in Oblivion.

Amen. I was in a Dungeon in Morrowind last night (ah the nostalgia at playing that game again) and I died when I opened a chest (lvl 1 character). At first, I swore profusely, as I hadn't lain down a save for a while. But immediately after, I rejoiced, since I knew it was the small, harder things such as the trapped chests that made Morrowind the best Elder Scrolls game by a long shot.