Decent ways to make small amounts of $$$?

Jeux

If you had talents in graphics or web design, there are probably many small jobs you could do for people on Craigs list and the like. Other than that... Your best bet is working in the world, part time employment, day labor, mowing lawns, ect. It's hard work, most of it is dirty, but there is an odd fulfilling quality to it.

The idea I have is having an operation a bit smaller than real estate agents buying/fixing/reselling houses, or mechanics buying old cars, fixing them up and selling on eBay. Something where I profit from secondhand resale. But what product(s)?

My uncle actually does that, the entire car-selling thing. He buys cheaper cars, like Citi Golfs, fixes them up, repaints, minor repairs, then he sells them for slightly more than he originally bought them. The problem is, it's an expensive way of making money, as cars don't come cheap, but he makes enough money to always have a bit extra on the side. The trick is just to spot a bargain, and now whether the car you're looking at buying isn't entirely beat up to the point where it's going to cost you more to fix it than the profit you'll make.

But as an example, he bought a double cab pickup truck a while back for R112 000, did very minor repairs like polishing scratches out, nothing 'serious' wrong with the vehicle. Two weeks later he sold it for R150 000. (divide by seven if you want to know the rough equivalent in $)

But as an example, he bought a double cab pickup truck a while back for R112 000, did very minor repairs like polishing scratches out, nothing 'serious' wrong with the vehicle. Two weeks later he sold it for R150 000. (divide by seven if you want to know the rough equivalent in $)

Except that America, selling cars tends to involve lots of annoying bits of title transfers, registration, and such to either put a stop to that sort of thing, or just make sure that the government gets a reasonable cut. There is still a fair amount of sales without much government involvement, but most of it is between people who are connected to a community and usually for cash.

Yeah, it is a lot of work, he has to put it through the roadworthiness test and then pay to have it transferred to the new owner, on top of the tax he makes on the profit. It's not really an instant money-maker. I know of some people who do the exact same and just avoid paying the tax on it in some manner, but sooner or later someone will catch on to it, and I wouldn't want to be in their shoes if the taxman comes knocking.

Here in the states, unless you have the time to REALLY go bargain hunting, buy/fixing/selling cars/houses/whathaveyou really isn't worth it. You end up with more invested than you will ever sell it for...... If you have the talent for doing such things, you would be MUCH better off selling your services directly to someone that needs them.

Yeah, if you're lucky, you can make a neat sum of money off it, but it's something that should be considered more as a hobby than an actual income. The uncle I mentioned earlier also spends a lot of time trawling through Classifieds and goes to auctions etc to find cars for cheap, so it's a time-consuming hobby at that.