Problem with Oblivon and Morrowind

Blackwood550

Just this past wednsday I've been having problems with my morrowind and oblivion games (whether or it's just those 2 games I really don't know.) But I have a lot of mods for them: 84 for morrowind and about 116 plus bashed patch for oblivion.

3 Weeks ago these games were running flawlessly. Now in Oblivion, I can't start a new game (5 days ago I could). And Morrowind won't even start (2 weeks ago I could get 2-3 hours).

What's stressing me is that these crashes are NOT CTDs (Crash to desktop) these crashes are COMPLETE SYSTEM RESETS (system restarts itself). I'm not overclocking, I'm not running hot , (Just upgraded to a better cooler yesterday after 3 years and NO Paste.)

This is driving me NUTS.

TBH, i do NOT know what the cause is.

Both games are in Vanilla form for now and will probably stay that way. I've done every thing I could including disabling the "System Reset on Failure"

I'm about to give up modding completely at this rate.

(Just upgraded to a better cooler yesterday after 3 years and NO Paste.)

single most probable cause

BTW does "NO Paste" mean your cooler has no thermal paste between it and the CPU

No it did not have thermal paste.

The cooler I'm running now has Artic Silver 5 Thermal Compound between it and the CPU now. But I really think it's too little too late.

Might I remind you that Morrowind and Oblivion do not have multicore support. If you get, say a 1.7Ghz quad-core CPU for your computer, both games will only recognize one of the cores so it it will perform like it is on a computer with a 1.7 Ghz CPU. Also, as far as I know there isn't any programs that can hijack the CPU threading so that it can force the program into processing with multiple cores even though it still sees it as a single core.

Also, fonger is right - Thermal paste is a necessity when applying any CPU cooling unit. It's rather inexpensive and you'll usually get much more than you need.

Edited by ziitch

I was getting random Blue screens for a while - turned out my cooler on my GPU was glitching intermittently and the temp was suddenly soaring. New cooler on the GPU fixed that

I was getting random Blue screens for a while - turned out my cooler on my GPU was glitching intermittently and the temp was suddenly soaring. New cooler on the GPU fixed that

These aren't blue screens, these are resets, Worm is working with me on this. I'm installing a non bethsoft game to see what's going on...

I just tried with NFS Shift...didn't even get to race...it reset the system right there.

I'm attaching a report made by CPUID Hardware monitor. Have at it lads.

Also rolling back to the June 2011 nVidia Drivers

Ok...I'm probably going to assume this is a hardware issue. And since I have other priorities right now I'll have to put gaming on the shelf for a while.

Edited by Blackwood550