[Idea] A 'simulation' area with a bunch of new unconnected are

AlexanderJVelicky

Which would you guys prefer?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Levels or unique names?

• Levels.
    • Unique names.
  2. 2. More small levels, or less big levels?

• Larger areas. (15-30 minutes; 1 released each week)
    • Smaller areas. (5-15 minutes; groups of 3 or 5 released each week)
  3. 3. How should I release the mod?

• As each simulation is ready. (A new one almost weekly)
    • All at once. (Just before Skyrim)

Been reading this for awhile, waiting for a good time to add my input, and here it is.

I'd say release it as you complete it, but not release the FIRST release till you have 2-3 levels done.

Also, I was thinking about living in others lifes and it gave me an idea.

What if it was a Spy Training Program, where you pretend to be Enclave, BOS, NCR, Legion, Raider, etc. etc. etc. and you have to steal something (information or item) or learn something secret or destroy everyone (like the self destruct in the BOS base in the Vanilla game)... and also "sneaking" simulations similar to the stealth suit in OWB but much more dangerous and no mid-game reset's, you f*** up you fight.

It could also fit into the stuff you already have cause Spy's need to be good at combat, at hunting, and using there brains, etc.

and it would also fit for the perk's, after you complete the test you have improved your skills, and maybe (like that one dude said) you can award credits, and the credit's can be exchanged for unique weapon's, upgrades to those weapon's and Unique armor's and stuff.

Edited by Anubis_Grim

I prefer doing it as an update, new content every 1 or 2 weeks.

I remember there is a game in PS3 called Siren. The game was released as individual episodes over several months kind of like a drama series. I guess this release format can build up some anticipation. But of course this is just my personal preference. This release method is kind of......unorthodox.

Looking forward to it!

Hmmm, very good input everyone!

It really is just, would you rather have it sooner, or play it all at once. My only fear with releasing over time, is the story wont have as much impact, because people wont play it all at once. Then again, the story isn't exactly huge, or super heavy, so it wont affect it much... I think I'll plan everything out, and release once I have the first 2 or 3 completed like Anubis suggested.

I agree with doing one or two weeks, and the initial release having 2 or 3 levels. Story is very important, and I really don't think releasing levels progressively over the course of a few months will ruin or deflate it in any way. People will become interested in this, especially with updates, so they should play it and await more as time passes. Then, after it is finished, late people can still play it all at once and get the full impact. But still, either way.

Exciting!

I agree with doing one or two weeks, and the initial release having 2 or 3 levels. Story is very important, and I really don't think releasing levels progressively over the course of a few months will ruin or deflate it in any way. People will become interested in this, especially with updates, so they should play it and await more as time passes. Then, after it is finished, late people can still play it all at once and get the full impact. But still, either way.

Exciting!

Hmmmm, alright. I need to think this out... I've been busy the past few days and haven't had much time. :P

What kind of setting do you have in mind for the simulation 'facility'. I.e. where is it? What is it? How does it work? etc.

My first thought was the simulation pods found in vault 112? I never played 'Anchorage' but I believe it has or is a simulation as well.

If you went with a vault facility, I'd be overjoyed if you used any of the vault related resources I have created. Overjoyed enough that I would likely be willing to create custom models as per your needs. No pressure though. Ha.

What kind of setting do you have in mind for the simulation 'facility'. I.e. where is it? What is it? How does it work? etc.

My first thought was the simulation pods found in vault 112? I never played 'Anchorage' but I believe it has or is a simulation as well.

If you went with a vault facility, I'd be overjoyed if you used any of the vault related resources I have created. Overjoyed enough that I would likely be willing to create custom models as per your needs. No pressure though. Ha.

I'm not sure. I haven't really thought through exactly what the facility looks like. I'm still writing the story and figuring out what the actually simulations will be. As for the facility, I initially thought it would be an Industrial/Utility tileset, with 8 rooms, each having a Tranquility Lane pod in them. You activate the pod and it teleports ports you into the simulation. If it's your first time there, there is a cutscene and introduction to it, if it's not your first time, your placed in a room with all your stuff and can freely explore the area. Looking for the 3 collectable items. (Which will unlock something...) It wont actually play the animation of getting in and out, purely because I figured that would be annoying after the 2nd or 3rd time doing it.

I could make it a vault area. I'm not sure, I'll figure that out when I start level designing it. Possibly tomorrow or Monday.

Something very unique would be interesting... Perhaps a... Portal-esque facility. All white and clean, with little glass elevators to each area. Or, using the "Offices and scaffolding" stuff from the one texture pack I'll need to find, it could be in an old, delapidated research "office". I'm not really sure, to be honest. Just something different. Not so much that it doesn't fit in the Fallout universe, but not just another vault or industrial building. You know, sort of how there's the unique snowy setting for Jacobstown (I love snow, btw). Or the rollercoaster in Primm, or, hell, even Vegas. I dunno, really. But something just different would be fun, since that area will be the area people are in the most.

Since you bring up Tranquility Lane... Will this require sources from FO3?

Since you bring up Tranquility Lane... Will this require sources from FO3?

Of course not! The pod you climb in to get to TL is in New Vegas as well. None of the other stuff is, clean houses, cars, etc... I wanted to make one of the simulations in a pre-war neighborhood, but that cannot be done.

I think the main thing to having the main area to unique, is to have my own idea. Trying to make it portal-esque is me copying portal, and then it isn't unique, it's portal. I won't make it a bland building, I'll do cool stuff with it, but it wont really be like anything else, either. :P