Steamworks confirmed.

ThomasKra

The problem is that it is hit and miss.

I can accept that some people are NOT having any problems with Steam. Why can the likes of you and Hector not accept that some people DO have problems with it?

And also Type 3 is the perfect example precisely because there seemed to be few people have problems with it in Fallout 3 and yet loads having problems in FONV. The difference being Steam. And you can lol all you like Hector530, but the road to broken games is paved with folks who didn't back up something or other.

As for this, Iv000

"I can assure you all mods will work for Skyrim, if not then that's not Steam's fault but the game's code."

I predict that I will be the one ROFLing the moment a mod doesn't work. You just cannot make an absolute assertion like that when you do not yet have the game!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who want to put Skyrim (or any other single steam game) on a SSD - or some other place - without the rest of the steam stuff. Here it is, directly from the steam forums.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664376

And this one: ( a free program & tutorial - Steamtools - for doing this on Vista & Win7) http://stefanjones.ca/steam/

I predict that I will be the one ROFLing the moment a mod doesn't work. You just cannot make an absolute assertion like that when you do not yet have the game!

You cannot too!

Why are you people so offensive towards Steam? Do you have proof that it's Steam's fault and not New Vegas itself?

It's only one mod! I would understand if more mods would have problems but it's only one! The game is made by Obsidian so maybe they made something wrong in the code.

Forget it, I see you guys who hate Steam will hate it.

This is about Skyrim, and if you like TES you should ignore that hatred towards Steam like other members did and just buy the game.

I think that such hatred towards a program is childish. That's my opinion and please don't come rushing with a flaming reply.

I'm off this topic, I said what I wanted.

bben46

Thank you for sharing this with us, some of us are going to need it.

I and numerous others have tried that and found that it doesn't work. That's why we have had to alter the permissions for the entire Steam folder.

That seems a little absurd. "Here you go, stop automatic updates. Just kidding!"

From what I've heard Obsidian's patches have had all kinds of sloppy edits, changing formIDs and such, hopefully Skyrim's will be better and patching won't cause so many problems.

Edit: What problems do people have with Type 3 in New Vegas? I quickly glanced through the Uploaded Files place but there have been about 100 updated today. Is it the skin being all funky? I know back when I used it ArchiveInvalidation wasn't applying correctly for whatever reason at first.

Edited by Arredamaal

You cannot too!

Why are you people so offensive towards Steam? Do you have proof that it's Steam's fault and not New Vegas itself?

It's only one mod! I would understand if more mods would have problems but it's only one! The game is made by Obsidian so maybe they made something wrong in the code.

Forget it, I see you guys who hate Steam will hate it.

This is about Skyrim, and if you like TES you should ignore that hatred towards Steam like other members did and just buy the game.

I think that such hatred towards a program is childish. That's my opinion and please don't come rushing with a flaming reply.

I'm off this topic, I said what I wanted.

bben46

Thank you for sharing this with us, some of us are going to need it.

But I didn't make an absolute assertion. I said that I can accept that some people have no issues with Steam, and that you should be able to accept that for some people, there are issues. You, on the other hand, said that "I can assure you all mods will work for Skyrim". It is not possible to say that in advance of the game coming out and people trying to mod it. For every game, including Skyrim, there will be mods that work for all users, mods that work for some and mods that work for almost no-one.

And it isn't just one mod that has been an issue in NV, from what I see everything from overhauls to NVSE has to be patched to keep up with the constant updates that some people find impossible to turn off.

People who dislike Steam have their genuine reasons for doing so, and another one is objecting to needing a third party programme to run a game that you bought, yet another that there can be problems for those who have hit and miss net connections. Yes yes yes, offline mode I know about, but you cannot always set offline mode if Steam wants to update the game, so those without a fast LAN connection can wait a long time for their gaming session.

@ Arredamaal, you can be as dismissive as you like, but there ARE people who have not been able to stop the auto patching. I won't go more into the Type 3 thing here, just check out the support thread for it.

@ Arredamaal, you can be as dismissive as you like, but there ARE people who have not been able to stop the auto patching.

I wasn't being dismissive I was genuinely saying that it is ridiculous for them to have a toggle for automatic updates if it doesn't actually do what it says it does. I guess that didn't translate well into text.

I personally think there are plenty of compelling reasons to not want Skyrim to be a Steamworks game, but I don't feel that modding is one of them. If it works as I think it does it will require you to have an internet connection when you first install the game, that is bad for some people. Steam is a program that some people may not want on their computer for whatever reason, that is bad for some people. Automatic updates are apparently not easy to stop, that is bad for some people.

i use type 3 no problem...

also i dont see the mass failing mods due to steam like you seem to talk about. in fact ive never seen anyone blame steam for a mod not working other then when NV is updated and NVSE becomes outdated.

Edited by hector530

The only real issue with steam that I can see is that you can't resell or trade the game once its set to your account .. as far as the auto updates and mods .. WTF are you all talking about?? .. My games don't auto update if I tell them not to and all the mods I have on new vegas "a steam game" work fine as well as my steam goty fallout3 mods .. This thread is like reading those religious May 21, 2011 end of the world arguments .. and I assure you this story will end the same way :P

As uneventful and pleasant as my own Steam experience has been, I definitely believe that many people have had problems with it. Be it internet connection, auto-updating, mods, or principle, I understand why some people might even hate it.

...What bugs me is when people say they won't buy the game on account of the DRM. If you want to boycott it, petition Bethesda; don't whine about it on the forums and claim you're not going to buy it. That's entirely not constructive, and it unjustly punishes the developers for wanting to prevent piracy of their product. If enough people find Steam inconvenient and voice their opinions to Bethesda, maybe they can change the DRM to something less intrusive. I, for one, miss the days when all you had to do was type a code into a box to install your game, but perhaps that measure isn't effective anymore.

The other alternative is GFWL! Yay! :wallbash: