Crashes and problems with Oblivion

Majorshepard

I have a reccuring problem with Oblivion ever since I have installed it. Each and everytime I close down Oblivion it ALWAYS crashes and the only way to click the close button is to open the Task manager to bring up the mouse. I have had this problem before I even installed mods on it. Is there a way to fix this? I also have a problem with it in that everytime I start the game up I have to keep changing the settings back to what I want them to be, it just doesn't save my settings for some reason and always goes back to the default. If anyone can help it would be VERY much appreciated. My OS is Windows 7 64bit if it helps solve the problem.

WHY don't people read the sticky topics?

Fast Exit 2 (which requires OBSE)

If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7and are thinking of modding, do yourself (and us, because you'd no doubt be asking for help with it later) a BIG favour and use Bben46's guide here to move the game from the default install position to C:\Games\Oblivion. That stops the UAC from mucking up just about every mod you try to use, including (sometimes) official patches.

Many mods will require you to be patched to version 1.2.0416, and a lot will require the Shivering Isles expansion - if you don't already have Shivering Isles, buy it and add it to the game, THEN patch it (otherwise you'll need to uninstall and reinstall from scratch to add Shivering Isles later).

I strongly suggest adding the Unofficial Oblivion Patch (UOP), the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch (UOSP), and (if you have Knights of the Nine and/or any of the official downloadable content files, the Unofficial Official Mods Patch (UOMP), plus the Unofficial Patch Supplementals and the UOP Dark Sister Voice Fix. They between them bugfix several thousand bugs and errors, and make the game much better to play.

Other "essential" mods are Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE), and then Fast Exit and Windom Earle's Oblivion Crash Prevention System (weOCPS) - the pair of those greatly aid stability and stop many of the more common crash scenarios from wrecking your game.

Ah thx. I didn't know there was a fix for it already. The only problem I can see is that I will have to delete my current saves and files for it to work. I will probably try this out when I don't want the saves anymore but for now I will just move the folder to C:\Games\Oblivion and see if that does anything :D Thx again for the info.

Shouldn't cause any problems with old saves - it's all additional stuff. Then just open an exaisting save and re-save it. I certainly had no problems adding it afterwards.

:facepalm: Again, you did not read. My complete uninstall/reinstall does allow you to keep any saves and any mods you already have. Just moving the game will not change the links in the Windows Registry and you will have more crashes if it runs at all. One of those links is to the save game folder, another is to the Oblivion.ini where your settings are saved.

NONE of the fixes listed require starting over or losing any mods or saves. Many mods also require OBSE and you can install it at any time. It does not affect any already running mods or saves either.

I have been using Win7 x64 from when it was in beta and have found it to run Oblivion better than WinXP with fewer crashes and better stability.

I've f***ed up somewhere...It won't load my saves anymore and it won't work with the mods...so I have to reinstall all my mods and start the game all over again.....yay...

And now I have made it worse by deleting the new data folder.....f*** IT if it isn't going to work I will f***ing install it AGAIN! FOR f*#@S SAKE How retarded can I f***ing be?!!