Character appearances.

Lehcar

I'll take a leap and get my hopes up for Skyrim, though as a lifelong gamer, I know very well to never ever trust a trailer. But I still hope the screenshots are being honest and that Bethesda will put a lot more care and effort to character textures and designs than they did in Oblivion (I think this particular aspect of their designing Oblivion was largely neglected, the character textures and meshes that came with the game were very very poor quality). I really hope for reasonably realistic characters who can be plain or attractive looking, as I believe character designs are of the most important aspects of any game. If that doesn't work well with whatever Bethesda gives us, then thank goodness it's an issue easily fixed the ever amazing modding community :thumbsup:

(hopefully the facegen textures won't be as borked as Oblivion's, at least.)

Edited by Lehcar

I'll take a leap and get my hopes up for Skyrim, though as a lifelong gamer, I know very well to never ever trust a trailer. But I still hope the screenshots are being honest and that Bethesda will put a lot more care and effort to character textures and designs than they did in Oblivion (I think this particular aspect of their designing Oblivion was largely neglected, the character textures and meshes that came with the game were very very poor quality). I really hope for reasonably realistic characters who can be plain or attractive looking, because in my opinion character designs are of the most important aspects of any game. If that's not possible with whatever Bethesda gives us, good thing it's an issue easily fixed the ever amazing modding community :thumbsup:

(hopefully the facegen textures won't be as borked as Oblivion's, at least.)

Do you think they could have made a game like Skyrim Back in 2006? Hardware has been evolving at a staggering rate over the years. The same goes for development tools and hardware used by the developers. Even the best of the best PCs(meaning a personal computer, not some network work horse) would have a hard time running what I assume is your ideal. Just think about all they have shown. It's been 360 hardware... If you look at the difference in quality of Oblivion vs Skyrim. Yes optimization is a big part, but honestly it boggles the mind.

In case you haven't seen this already...

It's clear they've learned from their mistakes with Oblivion's character design at least somewhat. Of course we'll have to wait until we can play with the chargen system ourselves before any real judgements can be made. At the very least, they don't seem to be making the mistake of putting out CG trailers that have absolutely nothing to do with the game. *coughNearlyEveryRPGFromThePastFewYearscough*

That's really not what I meant at all. I wasn't really being specific at all. I only stated that the actor designs in Oblivion could have benefited from more work, even in 2006, nothing else. I only stated that I hope Skyrim will more fully take advantage of the software that we do have available to us now, nothing else.

They aren't using facegen. they have a new variation morph system, that does contain preset facial areas. Like different shaped noses. I think from those presets you can tweak further the shape and proportions. That's about all I know.

Definitely sounds and looks much better than even Fallout facegen.

It's clear they've learned from their mistakes with Oblivion's character design at least somewhat. Of course we'll have to wait until we can play with the chargen system ourselves before any real judgements can be made. At the very least, they don't seem to be making the mistake of putting out CG trailers that have absolutely nothing to do with the game. *coughNearlyEveryRPGFromThePastFewYearscough*

Woaaah, I hope things really look that good once finished! Those guys are... very very attractive... even the Orc :wub:

Woaaah, I hope things really look that good once finished! Those guys are... very very attractive... even the Orc :wub:

The really scary part is... That's the 360 build! This game can do no wrong for me. Graphic, design, content all seem amazing. Now for the story to complete it...We'll all have to wait. 11.11.11 why can't you come faster.