Lockpicking: Fallout 3 vs Oblivion

AxeAlot

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, but you get my point. I don't get how they can make Fallout locks Skyrim style.

Locks have almost always been turn style. You wouldn't see the tumblers. So it makes more sense to have it where the lock is facing. The only real problem is... For realism sake, they will have to have many different lock looks. Like picking jail cell is going to look different then opening a chest. Of course they will use the same graphic. Just an idea for modding I guess.

I prefer whatever system that doesn't pause the game while you're picking a lock.

Well, you would have course kill anything before you begin picking a lock. Still it would be frustrating to alert someone to you breaking into their house, because time didn't stop for you to get in before the guards saw you.

What you call frustrating I call fun and challenging. 8)

The excitement with stealth gameplay lies in planning ahead and taking note of things such as NPC behaviour, guard patrol routes et.c. in order to accomplish your objective.

The excitement with stealth gameplay lies in planning ahead and taking note of things such as NPC behaviour, guard patrol routes et.c. in order to accomplish your objective.

I'm not claiming I'm frustrated by the idea. I generalizing. I'm sure people would very much dislike the idea. I play a game on what it is, and conform to it's style of play. Only games I get frustrated by are ones I can't play, and have to sit waiting for them to come out lol.

NPCs are so unpredictable in a bethesda game though .. I normally make sure no one is around before I pick the lock anyways .. the way I see it is that its part of the lockpick skill .. anyone can pick a lock if they have the time but your rushing so you end up breaking picks .. but the higher your skill th faster you can crack it without breaking a pick .. idk.. thats what I picture in my mind :/ .. and it kinda goes into what I was saying earlier about player skill vs character skill and how it fits into an RPG .. could be cool though

NPCs could be programmed to behave more predictably, just look at the Hitman or Thief games. :thumbsup:

However I'm not sure about how to integrate character skill into a real-time lockpicking system. Maybe each lock could have some sort of stages the player needs to successfully manipulate in order to open the lock..at novice level, the player maybe needs to unlock seven stages and critical failure would result in a broken lockpick (lockpicks should be rarer and more expensive) as well as creating a small amount of noise, sufficient to draw the attention of nearby guards. Whereas a player at master level would only have to complete one stage per lock and have a greatly reduced chance of breaking a lockpick should they happen to mess up.

Or something like that.

Fallouts was better hands down.

In fallout you had to have a certain skill, in oblivion the skill didn't really matter much if you were good at the minigame.

The reason its easy in fallout is due to the way the skills work. The difficulty is not supposed to be in the minigame, its supposed to be in getting the skill.

Fallouts was better imo. this ties into several things they did so much better in F3. dialog, leveling, level scaling. It bodes well for Skyrim. If they make as much advancement in technical achievement and design as they did between Ob and F3 for SR, then holy f***! :dance: