Lockpicking: Fallout 3 vs Oblivion

AxeAlot

I hated how fallouts lockpicking was a necessary skill, you had to have it to unlock s***, pissed me off, rather it be really hard to open a very hard lock than not be able to do it at all

In most RPGs you are taking control of a character. Its better to have to make your character better at something then being able to do it based on YOUR skill at the minigame.

That's the way I see it anyways.

Maybe so but u don't have good blade to use ur sword to, so why should lock-pick be different. I mean its easier to use a sword when your blade is good but u dont have to have a high blade skill to be able to use it (one handed two handed whatever they call it now) so it makes lock-pick an essential skill you have to level up, I guess it wont be so bad in Skyrim since it will go up as u use it, but in fallout you had to allocate skill points which was a nuisance when you want to level up somthing else.

My opnion though respect and understand what you mean :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hated how fallouts lockpicking was a necessary skill, you had to have it to unlock s***, pissed me off, rather it be really hard to open a very hard lock than not be able to do it at all

In most RPGs you are taking control of a character. Its better to have to make your character better at something then being able to do it based on YOUR skill at the minigame.

That's the way I see it anyways.

Maybe so but u don't have good blade to use ur sword to, so why should lock-pick be different. I mean its easier to use a sword when your blade is good but u dont have to have a high blade skill to be able to use it (one handed two handed whatever they call it now) so it makes lock-pick an essential skill you have to level up, I guess it wont be so bad in Skyrim since it will go up as u use it, but in fallout you had to allocate skill points which was a nuisance when you want to level up somthing else.

My opnion though respect and understand what you mean :)

I see what you mean, fair point. However minigames take you out of the experience.

Also would be nice to be able to blow up certain doors with magic fireballs.

Disintegrate armor... You could cast a spell that disintegrate locks,. Perhaps the effect lowers the lock rating.

further how about magical locks? where no actual physical lock exist on the door and lock picks won't do you any good, an alteration spell of sorts. You'll need to dig out your dispel scroll or cast to open it.

As for minigames. I dislik them when they are crap. They all eventually get crap. However I prefer the current approach to they BGS is taking over removing them or the skill of lock picking

further how about magical locks? where no actual physical lock exist on the door and lock picks won't do you any good, an alteration spell of sorts. You'll need to dig out your dispel scroll or cast to open it.

That is a good idea. Does seem a bit weird to have age old ancient runes with locked doors that can be lock picked...

Also would be nice to be able to blow up certain doors with magic fireballs.

Disintegrate armor... You could cast a spell that disintegrate locks,. Perhaps the effect lowers the lock rating.

As for minigames. I dislik them when they are crap. They all eventually get crap. However I prefer the current approach to they BGS is taking over removing them or the skill of lock picking

Good suggestions...I think Lock Picking becomes less fun when there are few alternatives to opening locks in the game. "What's that? You want what's in the chest? Sorry, nope. The one skill you could use for that is not high enough." Of course, there were the key spells in Oblivion, but non-sneaky, non-magical characters were out of luck. It felt kind of like a skill you had to take if you wanted to get any decent treasure (assuming it wasn't one of the chests in Oblivion with the Fort Knox spoons :P ).

...And that's why I support lock bashing! Hooray!

I prefer oblivions lockpicking, fallout 3's was easy and fast while the oblivion one was also pretty easy after a while but its also more realistic.

Besides where did he get the screwdriver from....

I prefer oblivions lockpicking, fallout 3's was easy and fast while the oblivion one was also pretty easy after a while but its also more realistic.

Besides where did he get the screwdriver from....

I can't say I'm an expert on old lock technology but.. I wouldn't consider Oblivion to be realistic though. More interesting in terms of gameplay sure.

i prefered fallouts locking picking. it flowed better IMO and it wasnt so frustrating. i think they could improve it by making the pick snap more easily to make it a bit more difficult (it was rather easy), and by making the locks leveled rather than just easy, medium hard etc. so the locks level might be 16 so i would need a lockpicking level of 16 to be able to attempt it. it would mean if i had a level of 15 i would only have to level up to 16 to be able to attempt it, instead of 25 for an easy lock. but if it was a level 36 i would have to level up more than to 25, so it would all balance out.

i think that oblivions way of having a hard minigame but no skill requirements didnt work because you could become good at the minigame when playing as one character, and then that would carry over on to other characters, who perhaps shouldnt be good lockpickers.

and to those who dont like minigames at all and want it to be a dice roll system, i disagree, i dont like things left to chance, it feels frustrating when you fail like its not your fault, and not very satisfying when you succeed. you are probably a roleplayer who prefers to direct a character rather than one (like me) who prefers to become the character (not the same as roleplaying yourself), so it is areas like this that we will never agree.

all in all, i think it should be character skill based, but the minigame should take the place of the dice role so the player has influence over success.

Edited by shasjas