No classes or skills...

Lehcar

Skills are still in the game. There are 18 of them. The exclusion of classes just means you no longer pick major/minor skills: They all level at the same rate and all contribute to leveling. If you wanna be a stealth character, then just act stealth-y a lot. If you wanna be a magic character, then use spells a lot.

At all?! So, how is the whole warrior/stealth/mage thing going to work?

The same basically without classes. The removal just removes what you can't do. You are still noticed when you decide to be more mage-like and people as I said notice you are trying to be like that. Don't worry it has been covered look online there is multiple stuff about it.

By the way YEAH! My 500th post, lol.

Yea .. Ive been noticing many people seem to be thinking this .. Bethesda should be pushing this more in the demos cause people really think its changed when it hasnt at all .. They only removed minor pointless skills and then removed classes .. If you want to be a mage use magic and level it if you want to be a warrior use your sword and so on .. Better in my opinion

No classes or attributes you mean.

The Guardian Stones, as explained in the demos, will help you level up the skills you want, e.g, warrior, mage, or thief. In simpler terms, it will speed up chosen skills progress by 30%.

The removal of classes breaks the boundaries leaving everything up to you, allowing you to shape your class as you progress the game, instead of having to do it at the beginning, leaving you mad if you realise that you made a bad choice 3 hours later.

I didn't see much point in attributes... and it was also not practical in Oblivion. "Oh, I can level up to get +2 on speed, but I won't, I will continue running until I can level up and get +5 instead." Besides, skills matter more than attributes.

Skills have perks. For example in the QuakeCon demo, Todd went into detail, showing off all of the Block perks. For example you reach Block 20, then you level up. You can choose a perk when you level up. So you chose the appropriate Block perk. Or another example, you level up and put a perk into One handed weaponry. You mainly focus on daggers and archery, so you want to maximize that. You put a perk into, say, higher dagger damage instead of 1 handed sword damage.

Edited by Omeletter

Skills are in.

They only removed classes and birthsigns (which are replaced by Guardian Stones).

That's not really a loss either, now you can be whoever you want without choosing from the beginning.

It gives you more freedom, and is not limited by a choice that you make when creating your character.

Classes in previous TES games were just arbitrary titles with a defined skill set attached to them anyway. In every single TES game I've played, I've always created my own custom class.

Exactly! I never quite liked the skill sets presented by the default classes, so I always made my own instead...and mayeb the perfectionist in me had tried one of those "pick major skills you'll never use" characters, as well. Happy to see them done away with.

Classes in previous TES games were just arbitrary titles with a defined skill set attached to them anyway. In every single TES game I've played, I've always created my own custom class.

Exactly! I never quite liked the skill sets presented by the default classes, so I always made my own instead...and mayeb the perfectionist in me had tried one of those "pick major skills you'll never use" characters, as well. Happy to see them done away with.

Well in oblivion it was a must if you wanted a powerful character you had to pick your major skills very carefully .. you wouldnt want to level with the ones you used otherwise you would level to fast and end up fighting powerful enemies .. but if you picked a leveling skill then set your major skills as minor skills you could level them up really high without facing to powerful of enemies .. thus making you super powerful .. that an exploit of course... but yea .. broken arse leveling in that game anyways .. this helps simplify it and with the better enemy leveling everything should be dandy