Immigration in the US

marharth

So at any rate, I'd admit that regardless of how we got here today, we are here, and need to run the States in a way that focuses on self-preservation, and prosperity for those who live inside it. So far to my understanding, the big issues surrounding illegal immigration is taxation, security, and entitlements. I have a couple of thoughts on taxation,

In the US, I've heard that something like 50% of the people living in the US are not paying a federal income tax because they don't make enough to actually be taxed. I can't help but think that most of the illegal immigrants that work here in the states would fall into that group of people.

Additionally, I'm also in the group of people who believes that the Federal Income Tax is unconstitutional, and unnecessary. As things are right now, were we to cut back spending to 2003 levels we could do without the Federal Income Tax altogether without any additional cuts or taxation. This isn't likely to happen for a while though, so that's why for the time being we'd probably better off with the Fair tax.

The Far Tax is a taxation system that does not tax people based on income at all, rather, taxes people more when they spend their money. In doing so, we can tax all people in a fair way, including people who operate in illegal circuits, who otherwise would not be paying any tax. The fair tax does not tax people on things that are necessary to sustain life, like food from a grocery store, so those truly in need wouldn't be unevenly burdened. Additionally, rich people who save and don't spend their money won't be taxed on it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trouble with the "fair" tax is, it would bump sales tax rates to 25% or better, when combined with state sales taxes. That means your 20,000 dollar car, now costs 25,000, or more...... and your house? tacking another 25,000 dollars onto the price of a 100,000 dollar home, is going to pretty much assure that you immediately owe more on it, than it is worth, or, the bank simply won't write you the loan.

You are more than likely correct on the tax situation...... what I was more concerned about though, were the public assistance programs that you don't have to prove you are a citizen to take advantage of. Or, the medical insurance from the same source, for those that don't make a lot of money.... Now, not all illegals fall into either of those categories though. There are yet others that hold good jobs, (construction, etc...) that under normal circumstances, would indeed have to pay some taxes.... but, they don't.

You are also quite correct in your assessment that the government really isn't bloody likely to go back to 2003 spending levels. They are having too much fun with wars, and making too much money off of them.

Trouble with the "fair" tax is, it would bump sales tax rates to 25% or better, when combined with state sales taxes. That means your 20,000 dollar car, now costs 25,000, or more

Yeah, there's a bit of sticker shock there to be sure, but the reality is that we're already paying that to the government in our current income tax situation. Only difference is that we don't see it first. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is also up for debate I suppose. Making taxation more tangible may raise interest in where that money is going.

Trouble with the "fair" tax is, it would bump sales tax rates to 25% or better, when combined with state sales taxes. That means your 20,000 dollar car, now costs 25,000, or more

Yeah, there's a bit of sticker shock there to be sure, but the reality is that we're already paying that to the government in our current income tax situation. Only difference is that we don't see it first. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is also up for debate I suppose. Making taxation more tangible may raise interest in where that money is going.

Wwweeelllllll.... not necessarily....... A fair percentage of the population aren't paying any income taxes at all at this point, and a percentage of them are actually getting more back than they paid in. The tax situation does indeed need some attention, but, that is a discussion for another topic. :D