New redesign implemented

Dark0ne

I was looking forward to a Nexus design upgrade, but when I logged on today I was REALLY disappointed. No more images on the home page, impossible to add comments to images, inconvenient access to files, images, etc. Another issue that is easily one of the largest: A lot of mods (including mine) use graphic banners, and because of the newly narrowed description they are being cut off. This would force modders to recreate their images and banners that are on the description < (This is a bad thing) Especially speaking about Fallout 3 and New Vegas Nexus; they've completely lost there feel and awesome look. The old design represented Fallout so well, with its destroyed/tattered feel. That's gone now. I try not to be negative, but I have reason to be right now. Nothing like some constructive criticism from thousands of people! "Before you huff, and you puff, and you blow my house down please know that this is just the start: a starting place from which myself and others can work from. A necessary first step. Over the course of the coming days, weeks, months (and dare I say it, years) the design is going to be tweaked, fixed, updated, expanded and improved so this isn't the end, it's just the start."

I know the design has only been up for one day, but I can tell already it's not going to settle in easy with the community. I seriously suggest you think about change, or serious improvement.

R.I.P Nexus 22.08.2011 - MRC

- Falloutperson416

Edited by falloutperson416

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, overall I don't really mind the redesign, it's just one more thing to adapt to... but I'm unable to access the site with Google Chrome, which is my primary browser. I have to switch to Firefox just for this website, and it's quite a hassle.

It keeps on going on about enabling cookies, yet they are fully enabled, with nothing blocking it.

You're going to have to do a bit of troubleshooting on your end I'm afraid, Emma. I've spoken to a few other IE8 users who aren't having any issues, and I've got vanilla IE8 setup on my laptop running it fine too :psyduck:

I will try and find out what is wrong - thank you for the replies :).

(Uhm... it couldn't possibly be the combination XP + IE8, could it? I'm sorry if the question is dumb, but I'm rather illiterate with these kind of things.)

For those who are saying that they cannot add comments to images, are you referring to images within the image share? Are you referring to endorsement comments, or just comments in general? For endorsements, it does appear that the ability to add a comment with your endorsement has been removed. However, I do see a button that says "Add Comment", and it is working as far as I can tell.

Well, I guess it will take some time getting used to. Some things are an improvement, some things not so much. I like the new image view and the drop down menus on top but I hate the centralized layout. Also I'd like to see who endorsed a picture (like in the old design) and not just a random number.

The categories are fairly easy to browse and I like the new mod pages with better "tabs" for info, pics, comments etc but the centralization screws up banners and stuff. Also it wastes a lot space on the page as a whole.

I guess I'll get used to it in time.

Just fix the endorsements on images and I'm a happy camper.

Great job, Rob! :)

Can't wait for Alex's codes now! (By the way, I love that guy! ;D )

But...

I now see an "edit" link on every comment, regardless of whether it's my comment or not.

@XTR3M368, that part about viewing two Nexuses at the same time on one screen could actually be a little useful, as I often need to have two Nexus windows up when editing file submissions. And now I can even have 4 at the same time! ;D

---

Any ETA on that Banner feature you were talking about, Rob?

Unverified user images are displayed when I view my files.

http://www.fallout3n...le.php?id=13378

can anyone see an image of some chick getting bent over in the user images section? if so then I haven't verified that on my file

Yes, they are visible, are you sure they are unverified? Ghouly is having fun there, I can see that.

Yes. Unverified. you can see that there should only be 1 image in that tab. there is a number there. But once you click the tab to bring up the user uploaded image, there are 2.

Just moments after I posted your query, Dark0ne took care of the Issue in a Flash, he is right on top of things, I went back to check and No pick is there. Kudos ! Dark0ne.

Why have all the scripts on the nexus suddenly become dependent on a website called jquery.com? I don't really like setting permanent permissions on Noscript with a website as vaguely named as that.

Also, the old UI was a lot more intuitive. For example, I didn't need half as much scrolling to find the files I wanted to download as I do now. I understand that you're still developing this design, but couldn't you have kept the unfinished product off the official site? It can't be that hard to set up, say, a beta.Xnexus.com address system for the new UI.

I'll grant you that what I see right now looks like it could be as good as or better than the old system, but at the moment it's not as good as what came before it.

The old design looked better, the new one is way too narrow for my widescreen, too much blank space for my taste. I personally liked the nexus how it was, the new look just doesn't look right for me.

But since there is so much work in the new design i highly doubt that it'll be reverted to the old look, so i'd like to suggest atleast adding the possibility for everyone to choose the site design they like more. Don't know if it's easily done or hardly possible, but i think that more users would like this option.

It's just my personal opinion, others may feel different about this.

Edited by Leo77

A simple request: the tracked files page is now not nearly as useful, since it seems to be ordered based on last file upload, and only file uploads. Can we get it back to at least ordering by latest update of any kind? News posts and image uploads can be just as interesting/important as new file uploads, and there is currently no way I can see to check those things without going to each individual mod's page, and no indication that anything has changed on the tracking page. That's all I've got for complaints, really. Thanks.