New redesign implemented

Dark0ne

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a few more days of using it, I'm starting to get used to where everything is even if I still wish for the simplicity of the old design. I'm still not sure this design was ready for primetime given all the problems, maybe another month or so of running parallel designs like you were doing, but here we are. However, a couple of issues I and everyone else have complained about:

The tracking centre is useless for premium members. I can get around the ads, so this is the primary reason I have a premium membership. Please restore full functionality and put an update box on the front page at the top like there used to be. It seems like adding the sorting functionality to the columns should be simple.

Despite getting used to everything else, the fixed width is just the absolute worst decision possible. And to everyone who says "just press ctrl +", that isn't a fix and just makes everything look awful and zoomed. Half my monitor is wasted and I'm burning a hole through my mouse turning the damn scroll wheel so much. You are opening yourself up to a carpal tunnel lawsuit with all this scrolling (kidding of course) so please find some kind of way to let us use our screens. As others have said, I used to be able to view 12-14 mods at once. Now I'm lucky to get 4 on my screen. This is the only site on the internet that has this problem so I really, really doubt it is necessary but is instead simply a poorly considered design choice.

I used to visit the site 7-8x a day at work, pretty much whenever I needed a quick 5 minute break. I could come here, see what had been uploaded, updated, etc. then get back to work. Now, this site is a hassle. I only come to check on my own mod, which now requires more clicks, or to download updates, which are now harder to find as well.

I appreciate that this design makes Dark0ne's job easier, but it seems to be making things more difficult for everyone else.

Edited by walrus2517

The new design is fantastic! But, there are improvements to be made soon(ish). I have a widescreen monitor and there is quite a bit of wasted space. There could be handy links and possibly something cool in that wasted space. If I zoom in, I lose quality considerably and it feels a bit clunky. Sorry, fixed width is not the way to go.

Wait, that's already been said hasn't it? :X

Edited by CheeseyBall

I'm not sure if you act stupid on purpose or not, but I still choose to answer you seriously. The wasted space is of course not a problem in itself. The problem is all the info we had there that is now gone elsewhere, making you completely lose any overview over files, or having to look in menus for things that were onscreen earlier.

So with fixed-width, we trade away overview and easy of use to get a lot of wasted space and a lot of scrolling. Now please explain why the problem goes away by instead trading away overview and easy of use to get overly large text and even more scrolling, as you suggest :rolleyes:

There you said it yourself: The wasted space is of course not a problem in itself.

Well then name the child by its name I would suggest instead of complaining about the wasted space, duh.

And I gracefully oversee your unintelligent use of the word stupid. By the way its called ease of use 2x. :wink:

Today, to my happy surprise, the comments showed up in IE8 without that I had had to do any changes at all.

However, there is now another problem... after you added the new images in the background, it's now practically impossible for me, who has ADSL internet, to scroll and view content. It's... slower than slowmotion. Browsing the page where I'm supposed to maintain my mods is absolutely impossible.

Is there any way to disable the background picture (as I'm assuming this is what is causing the incredible lag)? I.e. like it is possible for individual users to do this on Bethesda's boards.

Edited by Emma

Nice! I like the images you have put up on the sides! It looks really cool now, and the "wasted" space actually serves a purpose: Telling you which games the site is for with a quick glance, as well as looking cool. ;D

However, there is now another problem... after you added the new images in the background, it's now practically impossible for me, who has ADSL internet, to scroll and view content. It's... slower than slowmotion. Browsing the page where I'm supposed to maintain my mods is absolutely impossible.

Emma!! :facepalm:

I don't think that's your connection, I think it's your computer. Or, dare I say it, that god awful browser you're using...!

I'll look in to fast-tracking an option in the preferences to turn off the background image.

Scrolling Scrolling Scrolling keep that wheel rolling Scrolling Scrolling Scrolling BIG ORANGE BARS!

Alright got that out of my system.

Like the top menus and drop downs.

Load times are pretty good. Bit more streamlined.

Pretty much perfect size to screen snap left or right on a 24 inch wide screen.

Scrolling lots of it. Orange title bars, maybe tone those down. Reducing the height on them would be less scrolling.

Mod Description tag hangs forever from time to time, just a spinning load icon.

Running Firefox 3