Why do all the preset women faces have such sharp jawlines?

Topster88

Since I am about to become unemployed, I will have to use my time learning the magic of Photoshop and particularly the normal map plugin.

Unless of course Ghogiel gets his mod out PDQ... :devil:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno why gals have to be ugly to be considered tough and adventuresome. If I want to look at an old bat, I can look in my mirror. In game, I can role play a deadly beauty and have it all ways. But it looks like I'm going to have to do a lot of work in the CS and chargen.

My feelings precisely. Who says I need to be missing an eye and have my head shaved to be able to blast things into gooey little chunks?

I think some people are overreacting a bit here, as someone said those are only presets and i have a feeling we are seeing here only a rough work of what is possible to do...this is probably still work in progress.

I agree that women dont have to look like the female version of hulk to be adventurous...though im not really worried about spending long time in char creator...when i see how the faces already look, im so excited...this is such a step forward from oblivion. :thumbsup:

Edited by pavy

@Ghogiel;

Yeah, but generally the little squares from compression don't look THAT bad. I mean, I've seen it before and you could tell off the bat it was some seriously compressed texture(i.e. Mass Effect 2) but the squares in the facial textures for the Skyrim races like just happen to be perfectly in the right place that it almost looks like smoothing errors. Now that's some bad compression right there.

Edited by jhardingame

I honestly think the faces look like a step back, IMHO. Morrowind - ish. And yet among the very first screenies we saw was one of an attractive Nord girl. Obviously not made from one of those frights.

@Ghogiel;

Yeah, but generally the little squares from compression don't look THAT bad. I mean, I've seen it before and you could tell off the bat it was some seriously compressed texture(i.e. Mass Effect 2) but the squares in the facial textures for the Skyrim races like just happen to be perfectly in the right place that it almost looks like smoothing errors. Now that's some bad compression right there.

Well to actually say they were smoothing errors would be like calling the character artist a moron. Someone on the BGS forums said they were flatshaded.. posting this image http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/Phong-shading-sample.jpg

I can see why someone would think that if they didn't know better. It really can't be.. the artist would have to set it specifically just on the nose and lip area, why is it not on the whole mesh? secondly the mesh would be smooth shaded when baked. entirely smooth shaded, this is where the smoothing error would come in, so yadda yadda, smooth group, normal map, blah, why is it only on the nose and lips and chin >where the normal map would have a higher degree of hue change to transform the lighting in tangent space? anyway it just makes more sense that it's DXTcompression, that is what it looks like, it's exactly where you would expect to see the artefacts, and not seen exactly where you'd would expect too.

you're right. it's insanely bad

edit: however the PC should be 4x better. Though compression WILL still be seen. If you had access to the private mod forums, you could visit the 3d modelling thread and see this topic come up.. ;)

Edited by Ghogiel

edit: however the PC should be 4x better. Though compression WILL still be seen. If you had access to the private mod forums, you could visit the 3d modelling thread and see this topic come up.. ;)

What? I thought the private mod forums only consisted of General, Feedback, TES, Fallout, and Dragon Age subforums. Unless I'm totally missing something here xD

And I can't wait for some HQ textures. I might not be able to enable DX11, but I can sure boast anything that's been thrown my way so far, so I personally can't wait to see some HQ stuff.