Why do all the preset women faces have such sharp jawlines?

Topster88

No it's not the stereotypical way of looking at elves as such, you can call it that if you wish, but a very broad collection of assorted mythologies that saw elves as higher beings in intelligence, culture and beauty. The myths probably stemming from times when real life was very ugly and people could suffer from and be scarred by all kinds of diseases and injuries that can be cured now, so their fantasy beings quite naturally were something far lovelier than they or they grim lives were.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was simply saying, everywhere i go they are portrayed the same way and its so predictable...i just like that Beth didnt gone the typical "shiny"elves path and i welcome that.

If you were born somewhere, where you would read about them in myths or w/e being monsters you would take it as normal just as you now taking them as beings of beauty.

You are so influenced, that you arent able to see them other way.

Edited by pavy

The Elderscrolls games are such a haven from the popular culture where people try to sell you sex and "beauty" all the time. I want to feel "real" when I play Elderscrolls and Bethesda surely allows me to do that.

And with all due respect, I think that is precisely why there are these complaints in this thread.

Please, leave us one nice thing, one unspoiled production where looks remain as they should be in reality.

Edited by melkormgc

Exactly....elves are fantasy beings. And whether the so called realists like it or not, elves have always been thought of as superior to mere mortals in almost every way, looks included. And not merely distinguished by their pointy ears.

This has nothing to do with selling sex and beauty as such. Why are these presets considered more "real" because they are ugly, when in fact you would very rarely see a real person quite like that? In reality, most people are in the range of unremarkable either way and you will see as many people who are naturally beautiful as you will see those who are not. Note, I say naturally. I am not an advocate of either the airbrush or the surgeon's knife, although I do worship at the counter of St Lancome regularly (their mascaras are WICKED...). Be honest, how many of you use cosmetics and hair dye? People have done this from time immemorial, improved on nature. Heck, even these ugly presets have war paint/tattoos.

What I am saying is that these presets are so extreme that it might give you guys who feel that real = ugly the chance to play how you want, but those of use who would rather look at something a little more pleasant (note, I did not say drop dead gorgeous)are going to have our work cut out. If the basic facial and body textures are as bad as Bethesda's normally are (who can forget those horrendous blotchies and blurry lips from OB)then I think I am going to be spending a lot of time in Photoshop.

Elves can be shapeshifters. Look like a shadow, be mistaken for the Virgin Mary, right the way to demons or little children. They are always magical though, and almost always have a realm or elf land where they come from/live. What they look like just depends on what you read.

Exactly....elves are fantasy beings. And whether the so called realists like it or not, elves have always been thought of as superior to mere mortals in almost every way, looks included. And not merely distinguished by their pointy ears.

This has nothing to do with selling sex and beauty as such. Why are these presets considered more "real" because they are ugly, when in fact you would very rarely see a real person quite like that? In reality, most people are in the range of unremarkable either way and you will see as many people who are naturally beautiful as you will see those who are not. Note, I say naturally. I am not an advocate of either the airbrush or the surgeon's knife, although I do worship at the counter of St Lancome regularly (their mascaras are WICKED...). Be honest, how many of you use cosmetics and hair dye? People have done this from time immemorial, improved on nature. Heck, even these ugly presets have war paint/tattoos.

What I am saying is that these presets are so extreme that it might give you guys who feel that real = ugly the chance to play how you want, but those of use who would rather look at something a little more pleasant (note, I did not say drop dead gorgeous)are going to have our work cut out. If the basic facial and body textures are as bad as Bethesda's normally are (who can forget those horrendous blotches and blurry lips from OB)then I think I am going to be spending a lot of time in Photoshop.

No offense to you but... You seem too obsessed with the fictional aspect of the game. It's good to have firm beliefs sure. It's fun to role play, cool. You've been totally against the looks of the characters, offensive chat of how bad it looks in your opinion. If you don't like it that much, simply (as you sad) fix what you dislike. You don't need a paragraph of explanation. You're not trying to convert anyone here are you? As I said with all of my statements, they were opinion, not directed at anyone. Generalization. Nothing more. What I've said isn't proven fact, or even generally believed(obviously, considering how people buy into most of culture and media).

I'll say this: I like most people play rpgs,video games, watch moves, and generally fantasize to shrug off some of life's less then interesting aspects. Some people use fantasy to escape reality. It's all up the person, their choice.

Sure Bethesda and other companies don't make perfect games, but they give us the chance to enjoy ourselves.

No, I am not trying to convert anyone. I am merely stating why these presets don't do it for me, and explaining where my ideas come from. To call me obsessed IS pretty offensive actually - there's no clearer "rude remark coming" indicator than "no offense to you but...". I have yet to see anyone explain WHY exactly they feel that ugly/battered/like these presets look makes you a more credible adventurer type. Nor have I seen them explain why a good looking character doesn't look tough to them. As soon as anyone mentions that they like to make attractive looking toons, you can be sure that someone will start sneering about "Barbie dolls, etc, etc". Earlier in this thread, someone jeered at me that I had been watching too much TV/too many movies/reading too many celebrity mags, when in fact I probably watch less than most of you do, don't read celeb mags and actually meet a lot of RL people.

Those of us who like to make a good looking toon tend to respect the desire of those who go for a rugged look, why is it that this does not go both ways? Some of us stopped posting screens on the official forums because of the negative remarks. At least on here, the staff would not allow that!

No, I am not trying to convert anyone. I am merely stating why these presets don't do it for me, and explaining where my ideas come from. To call me obsessed IS pretty offensive actually - there's no clearer "rude remark coming" indicator than "no offense to you but...". I have yet to see anyone explain WHY exactly they feel that ugly/battered/like these presets look makes you a more credible adventurer type. Nor have I seen them explain why a good looking character doesn't look tough to them. As soon as anyone mentions that they like to make attractive looking toons, you can be sure that someone will start sneering about "Barbie dolls, etc, etc". Earlier in this thread, someone jeered at me that I had been watching too much TV/too many movies/reading too many celebrity mags, when in fact I probably watch less than most of you do, don't read celeb mags and actually meet a lot of RL people.

Those of us who like to make a good looking toon tend to respect the desire of those who go for a rugged look, why is it that this does not go both ways? Some of us stopped posting screens on the official forums because of the negative remarks. At least on here, the staff would not allow that!

Making several large paragraphs to point out that you don't like something "is" obsessive.

Strike assessed for ad homonym attack. -myrmaad